Customer Discussions > True Blood: Season 1 forum

Who is Sookie Stackhouse?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2009 6:30:05 PM PST
Coming from a fascination with Six Feet Under, especially the first three years, I couldn't wait for True Blood. For me, HBO has been starved for a great series since the end of The Wire.

True Blood was marketed just right; the fan sites play the best music from the shows; who could top Bad Things by Jace Everett as a theme song. I ended up reading the entire series several times and sending it to friends for Christmas. Just plain sexy fun.

Ball has brought out nuances of each character with so much love and attention - I don't even mind this attempt to cover all possible demographic groups to keep the series alive. Especially with all the great characters and the actors playing them.

Though losing Lafayette - what a loss! What a great character Ball wrote and what a fantastic actor! Nelsan Ellis deserved an award for this. Steven Moyer is so sexy, and can seemingly play anything given the range of parts he has handled since his days as Prince Valiant. Alexander Sarsgaard as Eric is a brilliant piece of casting. Sam Trammel as Sam IS Sam. Ryan Kwanten is beautiful, funny and fantastic as Jason. Rutina Wesley as Tara keeps me watching to see who she is going to insult next - and how is she going to escape notice. Only Sookie herself leaves me less than satisfied.

Sookie in the novels is a shy, confused, sexually inexperienced "crazy", who blooms through her affair with vampire Bill Compton. But Sookie under Anna Pacquin seems more crazy and fearful with each show. She screeches fearfully, loudly and long with each body discovered - her encounter with a murderer - her rape. In the novels, she becomes aware that her finding bodies is less scary with each as she observes what has happened. Her rape is rationalized as Bill's expression of terror. She questions whether she is becoming Vampire due to her lack of emotion, or is she just wiser as an experienced human. She doesn't scream, though she may still faint.

I keep seeing Sookie Stackhouse as Katherine Heigl. In the novels, Sookie can be downright selfish and mean as time passes. She defends herself as needing to stand up to vampires, werewolves and shape shifters and ruthlessness. Anna Paquin looks like she might hit at a vampire with her well muscled arms, but her facial expression of anger seems only to be a sneer which is neither sexy, strong, nor scary.

I'm still recommending the series on TV and in books. But part of me hopes Katherine Heigl shows up one day, maybe hooks up with Eric, and never leaves.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 4:46:59 PM PST
Kittypoocaca says:
Well now I'm bummed. I just finished the first book and I was all excited to rent teh series as soon as it came out on DVD. I just LOVE Sookie in the books and now that I know I'm probably going to be uber disappointed in her on screen....sigh.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2009 9:18:18 PM PDT
I'd like to address the notion that Bill raped Sookie. Bill didn't rape Sookie in the first book. The grave yard scene was "relief" sex. She was relieved he was a live and he felt her anxiety. It is a common response to stress and anxiety. I know that if I thought my lover was burned to death in a fire, finding him alive and well would make me want to have him right then and there. Think before you write.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2009 1:31:47 PM PDT
C. Sinha says:
i think the rape she refers to is in a later book.

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 8:08:29 PM PDT
I have read the novels. Even that was not a rape

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 11:34:57 PM PDT
C. Sinha says:
in the books sookie calls it rape, she would know

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2009 5:59:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2009 8:17:24 AM PDT
Capitolina says:
Really, Sookie calls it rape? Where?

*****SPOILERS (BOOKS) *****
I'm re-reading the books and by the end of book 3, the day after the incident happened (the so called *rape*) she lets Bill braid her hair, at her house. So Sookie must be mentally retarded? Please explain this to me.

And if you read the books carefully, she complains a lot about her neck after the incident (oh, no, the *rape*, sorry!) but doesn't mention anything about the sexual intercourse inside the truck. I'm sure that was embarassing, but I don't think Sookie calls it rape. Unless the author changed her mind and wrote about it on Book 4? I honestly don't remember, am going to re-read it tonight.

Please, read page 238 of paperback edition. Sookie says the her body nestled into his out of habit, and that she hated him and loved him. Do you still think she would behave like that if she thought of Bill as a rapist?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2009 9:47:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2009 11:06:36 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2009 9:49:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2009 11:06:55 AM PDT
E.Perna says:
In reference to the supposed rape in the trunk..read pages 67-68 of Dead as a Doornail...Alcide refers to it as a rape...Sookie has an internal dialogue with herself trying to justify what Bill had done. Classic domestic abuse type mentality "He wasn't himself"... (if I can speculate) But I beleive Charlaine Harris is leaving it to the readers to define how we interpret the situation. My interpretation is that it was rape...yours is that it wasn't. We can all agree to disagree that is the beauty and art of literature.

Posted on Aug 22, 2009 11:23:22 PM PDT
I AM A.M. says:
People maybe you should watch the show first then read the book. That's what I did with Interview with the Vampire so it won't be as disppointing.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 9:23:16 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
I'm a little confused about how the scene in the trunk could not be interpreted as a rape. It clearly says she was screaming, crying and fighting him off her. Then, it says after he realized what he was doing he asks her if she "volunteered" to have sex and she shakes her head no. Which means it was involuntary...involuntary sex...I always thought that was rape. Then he says "Oh no," as if in horror at what he'd done. So how could that not be rape? I don't blame Bill because he was crazy at the time, but while that explains why he did it, it doesn't change what he did. He forced her to have sex with him while she was fighting him off. That's rape.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 8:09:22 AM PDT
Even if there were no sex, he was still feeding off of her (and almost killed her) without her consent (with no's and pushes and screams). That's emotional rape, and assault. Worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 9:11:15 PM PDT
Sheila Magda says:
katherine heigel??? Are you kidding???

27 dresses was a stretch for that pathetic excuse of an actress.

anna was a star as a child in the Piano.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 4:08:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 4:29:48 AM PST
M. L. says:
Bill has sex with Sookie when she doesn't want him to in Book 3. It was very painful for her and I think it was rape.

[This is what Charlaine Harris said about the Trunk Scene in response to a reader who claimed that Harris has previously denied the trunk scene was a rape].

I don't remember saying that episode wasn't rape, and I would also be very interested in hearing what you're basing that statement on". (December 2008)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 4:12:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 24, 2011 4:16:46 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 4:14:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 24, 2011 4:30:25 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
True Blood: Season 1
True Blood: Season 1 by Anna Paquin (DVD - 2014)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (4,622)