Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2008 7:50:53 PM PDT
Dhaval Vyas says:
There has been a lot of discussion about 'Eyes Wide Shut' years after its release. One of the theories floating around was that the orgy sequence was actually a dream. I don't know how one can "prove" this, but I just thought of something. When Bill enters the orgy room, there is a man and a woman who turn their heads towards him. The masked man nods at Bill, greeting him. Who is this man? The first and most obvious answer most people give is that this man is Zigler, the wealthy man who held the party. I read one review that said it was the math professor that Bill had met earlier. The math professor whose wife was ready to leave him for Bill. This is very interesting, but I was thinking something more abstract.

Could it be possible that the masked man who nods at Bill was actually the naval officer that Alice had gone crazy over? I know that sounds strange and unrealistic, but it is not like the film is down to earth. Why do I believe this? Bill keeps having uncontrollable reoccurring thoughts about the naval officer making love to Alice. This jealousy manifests itself into the orgy. Bill has to imagine what the naval officer looks like, but at the orgy, everyone is masked. Regardless, the naval officer manifests himself into this man who greets him silently. Why would Kubrick put this much focus into just one of the masked men? The masked man is put into focus for a deep reason. So much of the film has to do with fantasy and dream. The masked man represents the naval officer, who in turn represents instant gratification, desire for longing, and lust.

What is more fascinating is when Bill returns from orgy. Alice recalls a dream that she just had. People have pointed out how her dream is eerily similar to the orgy, and they are right. Who is the first person that begins the orgy in Alice's dream? The naval officer. Who is the first person that "recognizes" Bill at the beginning of the orgy? I think it is the naval officer. The real naval officer does not have to be physically be there, but in Bill's mind, here is there. What do other people think of this theory.

Although I think 'Eyes Wide Shut' is one of the more weaker Kubrick films, the theories that are coming out about the film are much more interesting than watching the film itself.

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 10:44:11 AM PDT
Interesting. I never actuallyhad any idea or thought about this. This movie is a puzzle indeed; and just like it states under the 'Product Description' it is possible this movie was never finished due to Kubrick's sudden death.

I don't hate this film, it wasn't too clear for me but I did enjoyed it in a way (especially Nicole Kidman's nude scenes) ;)

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:33:50 PM PDT
S. Young says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 3:55:12 AM PDT
Paul Fucich says:
I have a much different take on the film.
For me I see a film that shows us to ourselves. How dysfunctional we are sexually. I mean everyone, the male, the female, the rich, the poor, the intelligent the ignorant. Each and every country on our planet suffers from the fact that we all are so immature culturally, socially, politically, spiritually when it comes to sex. Sex is still in the gutter and until we remove it from where we have placed it, we will continue to repeat and promulgate the dysfunction. How many scenes in the film depict the "secrets" surrounding sex. Secrets mask truths we keep to ourselves about how we feel about sex and the film is in your face about this aspect of so called "modern sexuality." To me, there is nothing "modern" about human sexuality in the twenty-first century, we are still living in the sexual dark ages.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  May 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Eyes Wide Shut [VHS]
Eyes Wide Shut [VHS] by Tom Cruise (VHS Tape - 2000)
3.6 out of 5 stars (1,275)