5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book and Not Just For Breakfast
Published 7 months ago by Michele D Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes look great; beware of overshare
Ordered this book and received it yesterday. I bought it based on my interests in whole grains and breakfast. I've never heard of this woman nor been to her blog, so my impressions are solely from what's in the cookbook.

The recipes look really exciting -- Gordon encourages experimentation and flexibility in the kitchen, and I can't wait to try some of these...
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book and Not Just For Breakfast, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons (Hardcover)
I was fortunate enough to attend a class given by Megan 3 weeks ago. We made 4 recipes from the book and all were delicious. I bought her book and have since made 8 other recipes that were equally as good. The farro and zucchini cakes are great as a side dish or main entree for dinner, the pancakes are truly scrumptious, the baked banana and oatmeal a perfect brunch or dessert. The book itself is not only filled with recipes but also provides information on the different grains and a wonderful personal story about Megan. This is the first cookbook that I have read cover to cover and I have already bought 2 more books as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for breakfast anymore, February 22, 2014
I have the author's Homemade Yogurt setting on my dryer and Apricot Pistachio Granola baking in my oven as I type this. Oh my, where do I begin? This is one of the few cookbooks in my vast collection to which I shall find myself turning season after season - and for good reason; The author has wisely organized her delightful healthy fare by season, which makes so much sense. My tastes change seasonally, opting for lighter, fruitier, cooler things in the warmer days and leaning toward the heavier, fuel-the-gut fare in the cold of winter.

So far I have tried the Homemade Yogurt; Dried Cherry, Almond, and Flax Meusli; Apricot Pistachio Granola; Hasty Pudding with Golden Raisins and Pepitas; Quinoa Crunch; and the Nutty Millet Breakfast Cookies. I wanted to wait until I tried the Whole Grain Pancake Mix to write this review, but I can wait no longer. I'm busting at the seams with love for this book. She even includes a Quick Homemade Za'atar recipe! Be still my heart! The Za'atar I purchased from the Middle East is old enough now that it's probably time to replace it, and now I can make my own! Yippee!

I think it's the combination of many factors that makes this book such a winner in my home. First, it's about as healthy as one can get, which is how my cooking and eating has tended to go as the years pass. As close to the earth and grain as I can get the ingredients is how I want to select what goes in my mouth. Of course, the better it tastes, the more I'm (and my family are) likely to eat it. Imagine my delight when, after a few years of trying without great success, I finally found a yogurt recipe that I can make that's better-tasting than store-bought. I'd previously made it from purchased starter (yuck) and also in a crock pot (better, but no real winner there). This method is not only super easy and fast, but works! When I used my homemade vanilla extract for flavoring the results it knocked my hand-knit socks off! Now every day I eat a small bowl of this book's yogurt, topped with Quinoa Crunch (another winner!) and a splash of real maple syrup. Wow.

Another delight is the Nutty Millet Breakfast Cookies, which (although I couldn't find millet and substituted amaranth instead) are really a great treat everyday and super healthy. Some ingredients (albeit a very small list) for recipes I was unable to find locally, like the millet grits, barley flakes, and rye flakes, but the author provides a source list at the back so I can order them anytime. I was just impatient so I made a few substitutions instead. Don't let this dissuade you, however, because the vast majority of ingredients for recipes in this book are not overly numerous and are easily found. Many I had on hand already, which is one of the major pluses to this book.

For my taste, a good recipe book that I'm going to actually use needs a few basic things: (1) a reasonable number of ingredients to recipes I want to make that are not difficult to find, (2) inviting photography that makes me want to actually try the recipes, if not just eat the book itself, (3) good organization of material, (4) recipes that - when made - actually taste good and like I'd want to make them again, (5) diversity of items, meaning they're not all the same over and over again, and (6) practicality, meaning the ease of preparation and time spent in the kitchen isn't going to consume my day more than I'm going to spend consuming the item itself. This book gets five stars on all counts. Oh, and not a necessity, but appreciated certainly is the section titled "Pantry" that gave me a nice quick easily read summary of whole-grain flours and other things helpful to know about oils and fat, natural sweeteners, spices, etc.

Honestly, I could go on and on, as I've been writing this review in my head for weeks every time I'd sit at night and pour over the recipes and photos wondering which I'd venture to try the next day or anytime I'd pull an item out of the refrigerator (like the tasty millet-now-amaranth cookies) to enjoy day after day, but perhaps it's best left to you now to see for yourself. This is one of my favorite cookbooks that's been a long time in coming. I'm just glad it's now gracing my shelves and days. It's going to be one that I'll be thankful to pass along to my daughter (now 11) for the day she's ready to organize her own healthy pantry and kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars An original to treasure, January 9, 2014
This book is truly an original. The inventive breakfast recipes are accessible and interesting. The author has a real knack for combining flavors and textures to create both sweet and savory dishes. I love how the introduction is like a 101 course on whole grains. There were so many things I didn't know about them. So far I've made a granola recipe (delish!) and a breakfast bowl. The instructions were easy to follow and the dishes came out perfectly. I definitely recommend this book to people interested in healthy cooking, unique breakfast recipes, and learning new ways to enjoy whole grains. I bought four copies and have given three away as gifts. It is a great gift for cooks and bakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, January 26, 2014
Winnie Abramson (New Paltz, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I love this cookbook. I've made three of the recipes so far: the gingerbread, the whole-grain pancakes and one of the granolas and everything was delicious. Megan's writing is lovely and the photos are so enticing...you will be tempted to make everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars YUMM!, February 3, 2014
Megan is a whole grain genius. Her pancake recipe is a new go-to for weekend breakfasts. Everything is easy to make, full of flavor and feels so healthy to eat.

Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite cookbook, January 2, 2014
I have been waiting for Megan's cookbook for months, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Whole grain cooking is something I've been devoted to for some time (inspired by Kim Boyce's Good to the Grain) and this book has managed to inspire me yet again. I've already made the pistachio-apricot granola, oatmeal and whole grain gingerbread, and have bookmarked a ton of other recipes. The technique for making a simple bowl of oatmeal has literally transformed my morning. This is a book I'll keep coming back to time and time again. I'm getting a copy for all my friends this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, March 18, 2014
I loved this cookbook/memoir. The recipes are fresh, healthy, and delicious. Even just flipping through the book will make you hungry! Each image is beautiful and adds to the visual appeal of the book. Whole-Grain Mornings has pushed me out of my breakfast zone in a good way. The recipes use simple, but packed ingredients and fill you for the day. I love that the author combined her own personal story with her recipes. It reads like a novel with delicious recipes spliced in. Megan gives great tips for someone who is new to cooking with whole grains. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to make their mornings (and evenings! There are a great mix of recipes for any occasion) healthy and tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakfast Got Even Better, February 15, 2014
Laura Perry (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is one amazing cookbook. Healthy. Delicious. And ingredients that make you think about breakfast differently. It is not a carb filled, sugar filled breakfast book. Instead these are recipes guaranteed to energize your day!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas..... for those of us with extra time on our hands...., January 1, 2014
These recipes look deliciously tantalizing and the author does a wonderful job of guiding the would-be cook in stocking his/her pantry and kitchen so as to make the preparation time as smooth and effortless as it is in the office. However, as much as I would love to try many (if not all) of the recipes suggested, most seem a bit time consuming. Perhaps it is a matter of habit and priorities. Perhaps my pantry is too small. I do recommend the book for someone who wants to start eating healthy and has the time to get organized, this book is a great place to start. However, if like me, your time is limited, I would look elsewhere for fast, wholesome meal ideas.
Thank you netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a review.

5.0 out of 5 stars New ways to think of breakfast foods, January 27, 2014
Don66 (Chico, California, USA) - See all my reviews
I was fairly sure I would enjoy this book since I follow Megan's blog, Sweet Spoonful, really enjoy her writing style and find her blog recipes delicious & fun to make. The book outdid my high expectations. The size & feel of the book was the first pleasure, as were the lovely photographs. The writing is such that I read it with pleasure far from the kitchen. But best of all the recipes I've tried turn out great. Most of the ingredients are already in my kitchen. The recipes fit with the changing style of my family's breakfast eating; more protein, vegetables & whole grains, less sugar & processed cereal. Since we try to eat seasonally, the arrangement of recipes by season is a plus. Lastly the basic directions and information on cooking whole grains is something missing from traditional cookbooks and very helpful.

Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons
Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons by Megan Gordon (Hardcover - December 31, 2013)
$22.00 $16.41