5.0 out of 5 stars The Distance and quality is amazing

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good product
Published on November 27, 2011 by mak

5.0 out of 5 stars The Distance and quality is amazing, October 18, 2010
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
So the reason that I got this transmitter was to allow me to feed music into my wood shop without needing allot of new technology or speakers that would get destroyed by the dust. Since I have sound dampening ear protection with an FM receiver, this product was ideal. I tried it out just the way it came and was able to listen to a clear signal over 90% of my house which includes 2 floors. I jumped in my car and drove about two blocks away before the signal died on me. I then attached the extension antenna which was really easy to do. The signal increased dramatically and the coverage increased to 98% with only doorways and AC ducting reducing the signal. I tried this with three different radios. Here is what I observed. The better the receiver the better the quality of the audio.

Cheap dollar store Clock radio - good sound
Car FM Radio - Amazing sound
FM wireless headphones - great sound

Overall this is nothing to sneeze at. This is a great product and I could not expect better for the price.

November 2011 - 1 year later update

This system is still working great! I use it for several hours each week and only just replaced the batteries after a year. Even still the low battery light just started flashing so I am sure that I could get allot more time out of the system. I learned that if you attach the extender cable as well as leave it coiled, you will get a longer distance and a signal that is more clear. There is a little comment about the switch inside the battery compartment under the inspection sticker. The switch does limit and extend the range of the transmitter. On my unit, the switch was already set to the longer of the two so I just left it to the factory default. I have recommended this system to allot of people and everyone has told me that they are happy with it.

I might update this review in another year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product..Even Greater Customer Service, October 12, 2010
yO "yobridge12" (Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
I do a lot of public speaking and studio work...I wanted a device that would give me the freedom to go wireless without a (hay)wireless price..
This was just the right gadget..Although this device is marketed towards sending wireless FM signals from a musical source throughout your house (and garden)(which it does Very Well),,(Runs on AC,,CPU's USB,,or 3 AA bats),,,The mic input and included mic are what I needed for walking and speaking in a large room with my FM amp tuned in and turned up....
My experience with TAW (Mike) was an informative one..Time was taken to explain every detail regarding the Whole House FM 2.0...
I definitely look foward to any future products/gadgets they make....
This 2.0 really puts out a strong signal that easily overshadows the 5-10-20 feet room/car transmitters I once used....I got it right this time....
The WholeHouse 2.0 is a professional grade box for the serious user in me...
Thanks Again, Mike(TAW) for a Great Transmitter and even Greater Customer Service Expertise!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good product, November 27, 2011
mak (Westlake OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
I got this product in June 2011 . I can say it works very well with a drift free clear sound .The main fault with the transmitter is its poor build quality and flimsy casing . The soldering at the pin connectors is very delicate and liable to break if ever the unit gets dropped with pin connected . I have re-soldered mine as well as supported the pins with clear epoxy which works out well. Transmission coverage is good within a narrow range . I would like the coverage extendible by 20 feet with a better antenna or a adjustment.
Overall a good product but can be excellent with quality control.

1.0 out of 5 stars Playskool, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
I am not sure if the folks who love this thing received something other than what I received, or what. This thing was so cheaply made I felt like it was something you'd get in the kid's toy aisle. I was afraid if it ever dropped it would be toast. The accessories were pathetic, too. The wall outlet plug tried to split apart every time I tried to unplug it. I returned the whole thing. For another $15 I can get a tabletop model that broadcasts over a mile. I think I'll go that route.

The signal strength was awful. I recieved info regarding the "boost" switch and antenna extension, and although this helped with the distance that the device would cover, it did nothing for the clarity (or lack thereof). I was listening with headphones on a small receiver, while I walked around the house, inside and out, and even standing right next to the transmitter, I heard nasty squelching whining, irritating noise. The noise would modulate as I moved around. Sure, it was not as easy to hear that slop when the music was actually playing, but some music - classical for example, would exploit this flaw BIG TIME. I suppose if you had a stationary receiver that was in a small house, you could get a lot of pleasurable use out of this, but it is not all its marketing would have you believe it is.

This thing might work well as a car unit, and it is only worth about $20 (in my opinion), but for over $100, what you get is not worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Bunch., February 10, 2012
J. Russell (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter -Gold Edition: Stereo FM Transmitter, MP3 FM Transmitter, iPod FM Transmitter, Auto FM Transmitter, Car FM Transmitter (Electronics)
In order for people to be satisfied with devices like the Whole House using the FM Radio Band to listen to their own private audio broadcast in their home, it is important to understand limitation of FM. The FCC limits maximum power of private FM transmissions to 4watts, just enough for most homes without interfering with your neighbors FM radio, or Whole House Transmitter.

This means all consumer FM Broadcast devices like this one are going to be marginal in certain situations. The primary "Certain Situations" for private power-limited-by-law FM Transmitters is how busy (crowded) and powerful Commercial FM Radio Broadcasts are in your locality, ie, big cities. In general, the bigger your city (concentration of population) the more limited the distance you will be able to tune in your Private Broadcast using this Whole House, as well as any other device like this.

Whole House is one of the better of these devices. Its advantage is it allows you to set your broadcast frequency in order to find the least busy place on the FM Band as well as listen in stereo. My Zones Headset broadcasts at one set frequency and mono only, but works very well for its advertised application, listening to TV audio in privacy at a closer range. If you live in a more rural area, My Zones Headset will work very well at distances as great as Whole House, and a much better cost value.

Bottom line, if you live within in a crowed highly populated bigger city and need longer distances than about 10 ft, you are going to be happier with devices that use other bands, like 900, 1.2Gig, or the most versatile, Blu-Tooth. If you want the versatility of an FM Radio Band device that allows you to use any FM Radio to listen and you live in a busy FM Band locality and you want longer listening distances, then:
1.Get a device like Whole House that allows you to pick the least busy (interference) FM Broadcast
frequency.
2.Use the devices AC Adapter so its power supply is at its highest, or keep fresh batteries in it.
3.Supply the highest audio signal you can to your Transmitters INPUT, without distorting audio due to
overdrive.
4.If you are using a digitally tuned radio for listening, place it closer to your Transmitter to lock
onto your frequency, then once tuned/locked, you can move much further away without losing your audio.
5.Use a digitally tuned radio for better selectivity and tuning. Dollar Store mini-digital Scan radios
work great.

Hope this helps everyone. I removed one star because I think Whole House is overpriced. I also have a MyZones Headset myself and use it to listen to talk/mono mostly The battery operated headset radio receiver that comes with it (nothing more than a dollar store digital radio with headset built around it) is much better for walking around/working while listening as well as comfort and volume(isolates surrounding noise). I live about 50 miles from a very big city and can get a listening distance of about 50 ft most of the time. Keep in mind, distances increase in the evening and night because the FCC also limit power Commercial Radio stations can broadcast, more during day and less at night.

I remove one star because I think Whole House is over-priced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what you're looking for, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
I read some good reviews... and I read some bad reviews. Why didn't I believe the bad reviews?

Out of the box, I could get it to transmit clear FM on an unused channel if there was no physical interference up to 10'. If a person stood in the line of site, it was horrible. If I went out of the room with the receiver, the static was beyond unbearable. My car in the garage immediately under the room with the Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 could not pick up the signal at all. I use my car's FM for radio every day, for reference.

There is an additional antenna that comes with it. It says it's illegal to attach it in the US. I figured this was completely unusable in it's stock condition, so I added it to test it briefly. I could get a signal from my car now, but there was still too much static to make it enjoyable at all. And the handheld receiver started breaking up very badly when I went to other rooms or downstairs. Maybe US FM restrictions are so strong that you can't have a decent transmitter in your house legally. And that's why this isn't even a decent transmitter... I don't know.

TL;DR: This is not a whole house transmitter, it is not even good at one room. Do not buy. Two stars because it transmits at all. Returned product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor workmanship, October 25, 2010
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
The first time I plugged in the ac power adapter, it (power adapter) popped and smoked. This startled me and I dropped the transmitter 3 feet to a carpeted floor, it popped open into 3 pieces. When I finally got it back together it worked no better than a $12 unit I bought at Rite Aid, I suppose the long wire antenna add on would improve it, but then all radios benefit from longer antennas, so why bother with the transmitter? Just clip on your own wire to a cheaper unit.

Some companies manage to farm out work to China and still have a good product, but not this one. I bet you could buy the same thing on ebay Hong Kong for a lot less money, oh well, live and learn.

Way over priced!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of money for what it is, but it works well, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
I bought one of these for our lake cabin and have been very impressed. It's great to be able to tranmit any audio source to the many FM radios we already have rather than having to buy a lot more hardware. It was easy to set up, and even without the extension wire for the antenna a very decent signal will reach all the way out to our garage (probably 75 feet from the transmitter). It works much better than the Rocketfish wireless tranmitters in my house that often have dropouts and static even at relatively close range.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I think it's way overpriced at $124.99. I paid a little less than that because I bought mine early. Now I wish I'd purchased two at the lower price. Given the simple contruction of the unit (verging on what I would call "cheap construction") I'm sure they are making a big profit on it. Maybe there was a lot of R&D that went into it, but I'm pretty sure the aren't paying their manufacturer much at all.

But what counts is whether it works, and I have to say it's exceeded my expectations. I will probably buy another one for home if I can find it for less than $100. I haven't used it in the car, but I actually found out about this while I was researching car FM transmitters. Just because of the added flexibility of this device I would buy one of these rather than a dedicated automobile FM transmitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
As indicated by other reviewers, I struggled a bit at first thinking it wasn't performing as advertised. I called their support line which resulted in an email with simple, clear, easy instructions of how to get things working "right." It helped me to find unused FM frequencies and also directed me to simply slide a switch on the unit and, voila, a reliable, clean transmission! (I must add that it was working well before my call but not 100-percent throughout my home.) Before I bought I read the comments about the "cheesy construction" but for my use, and for what it is reall designed for, I think it is fine. I would buy another if the need arose!

1.0 out of 5 stars Practically useless., August 10, 2013
This review is from: Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0 (Electronics)
Got one of these to transmit from my bedroom to my shower radio. It's less than twenty feet away. Barely picked up the transmission. If you want to waste your money you should buy this. If you want something that works, keep looking. Whole House Transmitter? Maybe they should call it the whole room transmitter instead.

Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0