Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer easycohice_2016 chiraq chiraq chiraq All-New Fire  Amazon Echo Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Size: 1Change
Price:$4.48+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on August 9, 2012
Bought this as an add-on to my main order on a whim.
Basic nutritional info on this reads about the same as sugar. Slightly higher calories than brown sugar, but has a bunch of other good things that plain brown sugar doesn't ( like trace amounts of things from calcium to zinc)

Serving Size: 1 tsp.
Calories: 16
Fat: 0
Sodium: 3mg
Carbs: 4g, all 4g from sugar (duh)

It has a richer smell than brown sugar, more like molasses. It's got a slightly toasty caramel flavour that is really tasty. The granules are not as 'uniform' as with commercially processed sugar, but it substitutes well in recipes and it melts perfectly in a nice hot cuppa tea!
66 comments87 of 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2013
The low glycemic index of this sweetener is perfect for cooking for people in my family with sugar sensitivities and pre-diabetics. It's the lowest glycemic natural sugar I'm aware of. New research shows insulin reactions occur in response to the taste of sweetness, which is why the newer studies indicated people have insulin reactions to zero carb sugar substitutes. When no carbs are present in the body to be processed and insulin has already been produced, serious fluctuations in blood sugar occur. I have found that my Type II diabetic family members don't have spikes or drops in blood sugar when I bake and cook with this product. For baking, I use 1/3 to 2/3 of the sugar called for in a recipe and replace both refined cane sugar and brown sugar with this product. If you have Type II Diabetes, I'd recommend experimenting using your blood glucose meter before determining how much of this product to use in a recipe to replace sugar, but I'd replace both types of sugar with it (white and brown). It has a nutty flavor, that may not work well with citrus flavored baking projects.
11 comment43 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2013
Our society in the US is so sugared up that I was finding almost all recipes way too sweet and sugary. Crashing all over the place. I don't crash from cookies made from this sugar. Nice taste, so easy to substitute!
11 comment67 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
I purchased it out of curiosity, and I absolutely love the taste. It has a richer, more complex taste than my good old brown sugar. Although,I have noticed sediments at the bottom of cup. I will continue to purchase it.
0Comment52 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2013
Used this in my coffee in place of white sugar, happy with the taste. It's not super sweet like sugar and over the span of a month I was able to wean myself from putting any sweetener in my coffee.
0Comment56 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2013
great price, great flavor we no longer use any sugar in our house except this! highly reccomend you try it
0Comment35 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
Just as advertised - not as good as sugar, but an acceptable natural substitute. I will reorder when necessary as it passed my trial.
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2013
This is my first time trying a product like this -- incidentally, I ordered this coconut sugar, coconut flower, and coconut oil in separate orders without even really realizing! After reading all of the benefits of them individually, I felt compelled. I'm glad I was! I received this product just today, and couldn't wait to open it and try it out. The only ingredient is the palm sugar - which after tasting it, was an amazing fact to me. NO flavorings, and yet this sugar has an awesome, pleasant molasses type flavor, reminiscent of brown sugar. SO flavorful, and much better tasting than any sweeteners I've used before. I love the taste it added to both my tea and my coffee - and didn't notice the aftertaste that some people mentioned that it had. I'm a believer! Can't wait to try it in baking!
0Comment50 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2012
I love baking with this sugar! I have been buying palm sugar from the local asian market, but I have to grate it. It takes a long time and my hands ache afterwards. This, while it is a little more expensive (worth it!), save me so much time. It does have a slightly different flavor than refined sugar. But, I actually prefer the taste. Great product!
on January 10, 2013
This stuff isn't bad but it sure isn't regular sugar! I bought this to use in making water kefir. And it sure does the job for that quite well. I will continue to use 1 tsp in a batch of kefir water. Other than that it just doesn't work for me. I do recommend this product though.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse