5.0 out of 5 stars Still haunted by Hemingway
"For Whom the Bell Tolls" was the first Hemingway I ever read. I was a high school kid in the early 1970s, working on my campus newspaper, newly graduated from Jack London but not yet ready for Jack Kerouac.
To my young eyes, it was a good action story: Robert Jordan, the passionate American teacher joins a band of armed gypsies in the Spanish Civil...
Published on June 2, 2000 by Ron Franscell, Author of 'The ...

3.0 out of 5 stars What War Is Really Like
With vivid, descriptive prose, Hemingway takes us into the mind of a soldier. Focused on duty and his mission, our main character encounters love among the carnage, but even that does not sway him from his duty. Though at times a bit long-winded, Hemingway brings the internal battle of war to the surface. The self-talk that goes on shows the conflict behind the rough...
Published on January 14, 2011 by GTO

‹ Previous | 134 35 3662 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Revisited, October 27, 2014
I had read this book many years ago & did not remember it at all. In my re-reading of Hemingway, I think this has been my favorite so far. I learned things about a time and place I was not familiar with and was fascinated by the characters. It was very down to earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read., October 6, 2014
I just re-read this after twenty years. Since then, I've been to my own war as a Marine Infantryman. Papa's characterization of interacting with indigenous forces is spot on, as is his storytelling. Compelling use of language to convey emotion. Fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 1, 2015
A perfect read through the years!!

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Hemmingway book, September 9, 2014
The old writing style using thou and thus etc. Took some getting to. Also Spanish interjection hard to follow at times. Story great. Contemplation of suicide by main character interesting given ultimate demise of author. A hard read but worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Whom the bell tolls, December 25, 2014
This is a classic and there is really no need to write anything on the story. A book for all generations' reading. Its timing, its description of people's minds, its description of action scenes, all of it, makes the book a must to read for everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary master, August 15, 2000
By A Customer
Hemmingway is a literary master and displays it in this book. The haunting tale of war and love will speak to any reader. No writer can immerse the reader in a story the way Hemingway can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe my favorite book ever, July 23, 2011
This review is from: For Whom the Bell Tolls (Scribner Classics) (Hardcover)
As inspired as I was after "The Sun Also Rises", I am even more crushed by this one. If you have any idea of writing something real someday, steer well clear of "For Whom the Bell Tolls." What a genius work of character development and atmosphere.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, October 26, 2014
I came to Hemingway late in life. Enjoyed several of his books, Movable Feast is very good but this is the best so far. What struck me most was Hemmingways profound understanding of thoughts under a variety of circumstances.
Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an excellent piece of literature, September 12, 2014
It's an excellent piece of literature. It is a hard read at points and includes scenes that make you question why Hemingway put them in the book. However, its style is interesting,and its themes remain valid to this day. Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... grew up hearing about the dust bowl and the Great Depression from my mother and grandmother who lived in ..., September 17, 2014
Hemingway brings a harsh narrative to the stories I grew up hearing about the dust bowl and the Great Depression from my mother and grandmother who lived in Arkansas during this period. Truly the great American novel, beautifully written.

‹ Previous | 134 35 3662 | Next ›

For Whom the Bell Tolls (Scribner Classics)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Scribner Classics) by Ernest Hemingway (Hardcover - June 10, 1996)
$30.00 $23.54