5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
Well-written; the best book I've read on the subject. The commentary on the social aspects of narcissism makes this author's approach relevant to every reader. Practical, realistic coping strategies as well as models for good-enough parenting. Great book for parents and teenagers to read together!
Synopsis: Narcissism is a healthy, necessary stage twice in a...
Published on October 30, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars good overview
I admit to being disappointed in this book. Even so, it was a useful overview of a pervasive problem, one that faces most of us much of the time: how do we deal with self-absorbed narrcisists without being untrue to ourselves?
Things I liked about the book include the use of illuminating examples, the checklists and suggested courses of action in dealing with...
Published on August 27, 2002 by Marcy L. Thompson

‹ Previous | 110 11 1221 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-presented and helpful, December 4, 2009
I highly recommend this book for anyone who has the misfortune of encountering a narcissist. It is knowledgeably and clearly presented for the layperson. I found it very, very helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars narcissism, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism (Paperback)
I am pretty open-minded when it comes to my thoughts on books I have purchased. If I have learned SOMETHING new from the book, I am pretty satisfied & feel I made a good purchase. I was disappointed with this book. It did tell alot about what a narcissist is, but not much about how to deal with one of these characters. I would not recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for understanding Narcissists clearly!, November 1, 2009
D. OLSON (Atltanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I've read several books on this topic. I gave this book 5 stars because this is a book that I read in one sitting! Makes Narcissism understandable for the first time! Narcissism can be normal; however, healthy Narcissism seems to be the exception in our society. This book not only describes this affliction but it also gives practical advice on what to do about the Narcissists in your life. A++++

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, January 21, 2010
This book is a good basic guide to the ways in which narcissism may manifest itself. It steers clear of jargon and is highly readable. Of particular value to me was the explanation of how narcissists project or "shame dump."

I do have a problem though with the author's generalisations and absolutist statements about how narcissism arises. I think there's not enough on the appalling abuses that narcissists can inflict, and I was somewhat disturbed to read advice on continuing relationships with narcissistic parents who continue to inflict pain. For some people, that may be a reality and they have my sympathy. For these people, there is wisdom in accepting that a relationship, if maintained, will only ever be one-way,and looking at surviving it with oneself intact. I think Hotchkiss could have balanced this more with looking at how to cut off contact altogether. Like another reviewer said, in many cases it's best to run for the hills!

The parenting stuff waxed a trifle smug and preachy, I thought. I also do not necessarily agree that everybody who gets entangled with a narcissist is looking for an inflation of their own. Hotchkiss's simplicity here is startling. This also leaves too much margin for blaming survivors of parental, partner, workplace or other abuse. Sometimes, among other things, people are ensnared by the feigned charm and generosity of the narcissist; qualities that might appear valid for loving anybody.

Not the worst book on the subject of NPD, but not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended reading!, April 3, 2014
I was told to read this and I am so thankful I did. It saved my life. That was 8 years ago and I still recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much advice, October 22, 2010
Most of her suggestions are to stay away from the narcissist. Great idea if you can, but I bought the book for ideas on how to deal with someone that I must deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Informative and Well-Written, June 25, 2014
J (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I loved reading this book because I learned so much! As a child of two narcissistic parents (and narcissistic sister) this wonderful book provided me with much-needed answers! You will learn just how these evil narcissists operate and how some children of narcissists will become narcissists, too. Narcissists don't really have consciences, and therefore, they lack natural, human compassion. Any show of compassion or affection is just acting. You are a means to an end for the narcissist. Everything is about them. Even if something is about another person, the narcissist will make it about him/herself by twisting, lying, or trying to shine the limelight on his/herself. Anything you yourself accomplish or any good thing that happens in your life will be envied by the narcissists. When you're going through a rough time, they will rejoice because they now feel that they are superior to you. They are so filled with contempt, they may even kick you extra when you're down. Their narcissistic web knows no limits. They will ensnare you when you are needed (their narcissistic "supply") and discard or ignore you when you serve no purpose for them at the time. Narcissists like to play mind games at your expense. There is not much hope for narcissists, since, in order for them to accept help, they would have to admit there is something wrong with them. And, that my friends, will probably never happen. Narcissists believe they are superior to others. They are never wrong. They will never apologize for anything. The author gives detailed information on how to contend with these people if you want or need to keep them in your life. If you are dealing with toxic narcissists, you may want to exclude them from your life for your own peace and emotional healing. You will never win with a narcissist. They will always get the last word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Insight, May 23, 2014
not many books I have read gave valuable information on the relationship between mother and daughter.found it to be very helpful in simply understanding the relationship. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful information, May 12, 2014
Dan (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend after ending a tumultuous relationship. The book explained every aspect of my experience and helped me understand the mechanisms of narcissism, the manifestations, and healthy coping mechanisms. For me it has helped to close a chapter of my life that ended with a lot of unanswered questions. The language was advanced but concise and important concepts were often repeated throughout the book which aided my comprehension. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who has had the deflating experience of interacting with a parent, child, supervisor, or significant other with strong narcissistic tendencies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, February 23, 2014
This book goes into the why of narcissism. It has really helped me understand why people do what they do and how to set good boundaries.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1221 | Next ›

Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss (Paperback - August 7, 2003)
$15.99 $9.92