Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 376 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2011 5:27:18 PM PDT
JLP says:
Seriously, my ONLY complaint with my Kindle is that the books are expensive! Lately, I've even noticed the Kindle versions are more expensive than the paperback versions. This is very irritating to me. I always thought books were expensive due to the production (paper and cardboard and distribution). I guess I was wrong.

Posted on Jul 24, 2011 5:08:50 AM PDT
Jean says:
JLP I fully agree with you and due to this very fact just advised a few people in my book club not to buy a Kindle yet. Paper back of a certain book can be bought for $7.28/$10.00 hard copy $14.91 but the cost of the Kindle Edition goes up to a whopping $20.52. Like you my reason for buying a kindle was ease of use, less environmental impact and of course savings on cost of books. Boy was I also wrong..

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 11:50:49 PM PDT
I am so mad abou the new pricing for the kindle books, i feel like we got duped into buying a kindle and now we are being skunked. You guys in the States are luckier than us here in Canada though as our prices are even higher. A kindle book that you pay $9.99 for we are paying over $20.00 for here, i wonder if amazon has checked the exchange rate lately. I called amazon the other day and of course was told it is not their fault and I should email the author and publisher about the higher prices, not likely. Amazon is ultimately responsible for what they sell and thus it is their responsibility to ensure we as customers are being well served.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 8:35:00 PM PDT
Not only that, but often you can buy a trilogy such as Asimov's Robot novels, or the DragonLance Chronicles for about the cost of one volume of the Kindle version. Amazon tried to police the pricing on Kindle, but publishers retaliated by throwing in with Apple's iBook store. They won, consumers lose. Fortunately, it's easy to pirate ebooks.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 8:14:02 AM PDT
I enjoy reading on both my Kindle and iPad for personal use but have reluctantly decided to use paper books as my primary format. I like to share books and magazines with family and neighbors. The cost and inconvenience of ebooks is a disappointment. Several family members originally wanted Kindles but have decided against due to the cost downside. The initial cost of a Kindle combined with high book prices makes for chronic frustration. I love reading too much for that.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 6:36:26 AM PDT
I. Holton says:
You don't get the same look, feel and smell from a Kindle as the Real Thing. The only incentive to buy for real book lovers is if the price takes into account the huge savings in cost to the publishers and the saving is passed on to the customer. I would maybe buy a Kindle if the e-books were priced reasonably, but I'm really happy to carry on buying paperbacks and continue swapping them with friends or collecting them given the silly e-book prices.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:31:46 PM PDT
I turned my kindle off and started buying my books again. Boycott the kindle and others

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:31:47 PM PDT
I turned my kindle off and started buying my books again. Boycott the kindle and others

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 4:45:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 29, 2011 4:45:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 4:49:17 PM PDT
Just to line Jeff Bezos' pockets!

I was considering a Fire, but no more!

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 5:52:16 AM PST
A. Spering says:
I really really want to switch to an electronic library. But old books are selling for $10 when you can buy them used on amazon for .50. How can they justify charging 20 times the amount when there is almost no cost to the publisher, etc. Old books should be selling for $1.99 and the publisher and author should be thrilled to get it. Profit on a paperback book might be 20% with electronic it is closer to 80%. Why is the consumer not getting any of that benefit! Funny thing is, the authors and publishers are losing out because a lot of people would be buying a lot more books if they were reasonably priced. The music industry finally realized they need to sell songs for $1 each in order to sell anything, and that was almost too late. I hope the publishing industry doesn't catch on too late.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 7:42:39 AM PST
This is really starting to get on my nerves. EVERY book I want to buy is more expensive for the kindle than buying a new paperback. I would also like to point out that I can re-sell the paperback, making it even less expensive.

I agree with other posters. It's time to boycott the Kindle, or at least time to boycott any Kindle book that sells for more than the paperback. I emailed amazon about this issue, and they replied that it's the publishers who set the Kindle prices. Fair enough. Let's send the publishers a message.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 10:57:30 AM PST
Jean says:
I agree Daniel with everything you say however It so far appears publishers are not listening to us their customers. In the long run this arrogant attitude as said by A. Spering above could cost them dearly. I'm also disappointed that I cannot download any books from my local Library in Canada, apparently this feature is only for USA customers. The only other stand I can and do take is to advise all friends and others for now not to even entertain the idea of buying the Kindle.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 6:07:09 AM PST
Randall Moe says:
I too have finally had it. I am not buying Kindle books when they are more than printed ones. This is total BS!

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 4:23:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 4:25:40 PM PST
WDShreeves says:
The cost of kindle books is the reason I haven't bought a kindle and won't. The prices charged for the books absurd. I can see and would fully support the publisher, distributors etc. maintaining the profit margin as with printed material but it's obvious that's not the case. I can afford both the kindle and the books but it's a matter of principle and won't be taken advantage of. Besides, what's better than actually turning a page?

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 2:38:22 PM PST
S. McNorthy says:
I can't do it anymore; I just get too upset paying more for an e-book than a paperback....the cheap self-published e-books aren't worth my time either. I can write better than most of those folks.
I'll read the few books I still have left on it and then its back to paperbacks.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 8:22:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 10:26:26 PM PST
Doctor Bob says:
To help widen your choice of books (and competitive pricing), have a look at 'calibre'
http://calibre-ebook.com/

All eBook publication formats can be converted to the Kindle format.
This free open source project is the best thing that ever happened to eBook readers.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 9:13:43 AM PST
Lara t says:
In another discussion, users mentioned that the publisher sets their prices for kindle books based on demand. There is a sizable enough demographic that is willing to pay more for the convenience of a digital book as it's one less thing to carry and it takes up no physical space.
It would be nice if Amazon offered an incentive for the thrift conscious consumer to jump on the kindle bandwagon. Such as offering Kindle versions of books that one has previously purchased from Amazon for next to nothing. Then people could offer their print versions for sale in the marketplace.
I would also love to be able to buy both the print and kindle versions of a book as a package deal. That way I can pass along the kindle version to a friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 9:17:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 9:17:30 AM PST
JLP says:
Here's a post I did a couple of months ago on how e-book pricing breaks down:

http://allfinancialmatters.com/2011/09/12/the-wsj-looks-at-e-book-pricing/

It's clear from what I read that publisher's simply don't want to lower prices. They figure if people will pay high prices for e-books, then that's more for their bottom line.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 12:49:08 PM PST
Rick says:
I could not agree more - these ebook prices, esp. Cdn prices, are over-the-top. I realize everybody has to get paid, but the pricing just seems excessive.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 6:16:47 AM PST
Theresa says:
I got a Kindle a few weeks ago, I love the Kindle and the convience. But.... I agree with everyone here, the cost of the books is ridiculous. I can buy the paperback of these books much cheaper and will buy my next books in a hard copy. The Kindle books are not discounted and at all, this is a disappointment. Had I know this I would not have bought the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:16:10 AM PST
JLP says:
I don't think it has anything to do with Bezos and EVERYTHING to do with Jobs (Apple). Apple did not want to compete on price so they talked publishers into going with agency pricing. That's the problem. I'm not even sure how it is legal. Seems like price fixing to me.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:42:18 PM PST
Mirabelle says:
I agree with Theresa. I bought a Kindle for myself through Amazon just because I really wanted to try it out -- I just knew it was going to be wonderful! Well, the Kindle itself IS a wonderful reading experience for eyes, and for convenience. However, I will jump into the fray and agree that I absolutely will NOT be buying any ebooks for Kindle. My husband just came home with 3 hard copy books for our vacation at $5.99 each-- they would have cost at least 9.99 each for the Kindle. Yes, they take up more physical space, but you know what, if we lost a book, it's OK, we lose a Kindle, it's expensive, and because the ebooks are so expensive, I probably won't be so upset at losing my Kindle, either. I am trying to make the best use possible of my impulse buy of the Kindle -- using the local library. Otherwise, I will NOT be buying any ebooks, I assure you -- not at $9.99 minimum and you can't loan them to your sister or mother!!

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 2:53:14 PM PST
E. Wiggins says:
I found this discussion by Googling "Why are Kindle books so expensive?" because I am baffled by the prices. I will not buy a Kindle book if it costs more than the physical book, period.
I also like to share books, and urge Amazon to allow this without the subscription.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 10:41:59 AM PST
M. Birch says:
Dr. Gunter, I feel the same, that I've been ripped off by Amazon.com. In addition to the high cost of Kindle books, I bought an older, more expensive model of reader only a few months before the much less expensive versions came out. One suggestion: see if your public library offers free Kindle downloads. The Ventura County Library does, with a decent selection of books. You could actually get a card in our system if you come in person. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  219
Total posts:  376
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2011
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 41 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about