5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the imagination, October 2, 2007
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
This is a children's book about a little boy who gets a pet turtle, decides to build a house for the turtle, then loses the turtle. A succession of pets follow and he adds on to the house to accommodate each animal, turning the structure into a hodge-podge of design and a contractor's nightmare. Through it all, the original turtle house can be seen.

The book doesn't try to teach a lesson, but does capture the imagination of kids. It's a refreshing change to see something that shows a kid trying to solve his own problem, using his own skills to build, utilizing his brain to visualize what he wants, then attempting to make his idea a reality. Much like kids did before the advent of Baby Einstein and similar learning materials. This book lets kids put themselves into the character's place and just have fun with the story.

This book made such an impression on my sister-in-law that 20 years after she read it, she bought it for her own son and he loves it. Very few kids books can do that, and that makes this book a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, quirky kids' book, September 23, 2007
This was a childhood favorite of mine which I recently picked up used for my 4-year-old son. A boy who gets a pet turtle decides it needs a turtle house, so he builds one--only to lose the turtle. One pet after another follows, and the boy adds more and more lumber to the haphazardly-constructed little house. The original tiny turtle house never goes on the scrap heap: it's always visible as an odd little cupola sticking out of the duck house--no, kitten house--no, rabbit house. . . . It caught my imagination when I was a kid, and it's doing the same for my kid now.

I think of this as one of the books that built my brain: whenever I find something built haphazardly and added on to as you go along, whether it's a building or an organization or a system, somewhere in my mind the image resurfaces of the gigantic Boogle House with the original Turtle House still stuck on top. It's educational in a way that none of this Baby Einstein junk ever can be: it shows a child trying to solve his own problems with his own ingenuity, creativity, and strength, and at the same time, quietly demonstrates a flaw in a common approach to solving all sorts of problems--without ever once seeming to try to teach a lesson. It's odd, it's funny, it appeals to kids, and overall, I think it's brilliant, and I'm sorry to find it's out of print. The local library was crazy to sell it, but I'm glad we got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN AND INSPIRATION!, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
I saw this book at an art exhibit. It reminded me of my own active son who loves to build things. I have 5 gransons now and I know they will love this story about a boy whose pets get larger and larger while his pets' houses get bigger and bigger!

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite old kids' book!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
I had hunted and hunted for this book and was so glad to have found it. It was one of our favorite stories growing up and is still a fantastic book. If only kids today had the same sense of can-do attitude this kid has in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Childhood Joy, March 1, 2013
L. M. Moon "moonatics" (Tehachapi, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
This is one of my most treasured books. I don't know where our copy went, and over the years, my brother and I lamented its loss. Luckily, I recently acquired a copy on Ebay. Why I Built the Boogle House is as witty and imaginative as I had remembered. It's difficult to find something that holds up to your memories, and this does. I read it to my first grade class, and they absolutely adored it! I am now sharing it with other teachers. I only wish Helen Palmer Geisel was still alive so I could thank her for bringing such joy to my childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
I have always loved this book and was happy to find it. It took a couple years to remember what it was called because I read it in kindergarten, I am so happy I remembered it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book!, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Why I Built The Boogle House (Hardcover)
This is a family favorite that grandma used to read to our two boys when they were little in the 1970s. Now that they are grown with kids of their own, they both wanted to know if we still had the book. To get the second copy from Amazon was a no-brainer. I was thrilled to give them each their own copy. Now they can each build a Boogle House of their own with their kids.

Why I Built The Boogle House
Why I Built The Boogle House by Helen Marion Palmer (Hardcover - 1964)
Used & New from: $15.44