Why I am Choosing the 4Shot over the XO7...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2013 8:54:30 AM PDT
I am no technical expert. I play video games, primarily BF3 and COD tpye FPS. But I do currently use a lower grade set of Turtle Beaches, and they work good. I also am well aware of how good POLK audio accessories are.

After long thought, I am swtiching my preorder from the XO7s to the POLK 4shot. A lot of these came after emailing POLK technical support direct. They responded to my question within a half hour. My question was regarding surround sound capability. Ken, the guy at POLK, schooled me. The headphones are not 5.1 or 7.1, but "game immersion" with the 4 Shot using DSP to "surround" the gamer with sound. He stated that no headsets are true 5.1. That would probably mean even Turtle Beach which claims the XO7s are. He also stated he has heard the 4Shot and said "i'm in for a treat when I get them." Yes, he could be blowing smoke at me, but I believe him. And based on this prompt and polite service I am swtiching to POLK.

In addition, Microsoft sought them out and partnered with them, working hand in hand. That is big. Also, the headphones can be used with iphone, etc, and are made to look stylish when no gaming.

Sold. Hope this helps anyone on the fence like I was.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:34:47 AM PDT
Ushae says:
Thanks for this, was a bit confused which one of these headsets would be better. You've helped me make my mind up :)

I knew that there was no 'true' surround sound in headphones but they have advanced techniques to replicate the trick. Polk seem to have done a direct collaboration with MS to design these headphones and they look a lot more comfortable in design.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 3:22:55 AM PDT
I've got a set of the Polk 4 Shots on order as well (got to import them as I'm from the UK). I play a lot of BF3 as well and my current setup is an astro mixamp and a Sennheiser PC360 headset. The headset is just a normal stereo headset but the mixamp (through some digital trickery, Dolby Headphones I think) converts it so that it sounds like surround sound.

The advantage for me with these Polk's is that they're pretty much wireless (except for a chat lead to the controller). With the wireless Turtle Beach's, I think they send a wireless signal back to a base station that plugs into the XBox. This means that the headset has rechargeable batteries in and you have to remember to keep them charged. The Polk 4 Shots get the sound info (and power) through the chat lead to the controller. The new wireless connection for the XBox 1 controller has 20 times the bandwidth of the 360 controller so it can now send the game and chat audio to the controller. As there's no wireless signal back to a base station the headset will require very little power and it gets it from the controller so no need to charge the headset any more. I've never heard the audio quality of any Polk headphones, but they're a reputable name in the industry so I'm going on faith for that, but at launch these definitely look to be the best wireless option available.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 12:22:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2013 12:25:53 AM PDT
Holden says:
Turtle Beach hasn't directly stated whether or not the XO7s are "5.1 / 7.1 (digital) surround sound" or just "dolby digital surround sound", so Polk's POET audio tuning could be very comparable / superior to dolby digital surround sound....

To maybe clear up some confusion, some quick facts:

---Both headsets use the new "Xbox One wireless audio puck" that connects to the new Xbox One controller, unlike the above commenter states, the XO7s do not use a "base station"---

XO7
- The XO7s have better internal parts / "specs"
- The XO7s have a removable boom mic
- The XO7s ear cushions are made of memory foam and are supposed to be noise cancelling

Polk 4Shot
- The 4Shots have Polk's very well known audio engineering expertise behind them, and were designed in collaboration with Microsoft's first party game developers
- The 4Shots have a hide-able near field mic that doesn't stick out in front of your face, giving you a clean view of whats in front of you
- The 4Shots do not appear to be gaming headphones at first glance, therefore are more practical for non-gaming use

However, what is unknown is this --- whether the better internals of the XO7 translates to better audio quality, or the better engineers behind the 4Shot translate to the superior audio quality ---

Pretty much just gotta wait for the reviews to come out when the headsets are eventually released

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:41:21 AM PDT
Sayburr says:
The delay in shipping to March, that was just posted, has caused me to cancel my pre-order.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 10:15:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 16, 2013 8:11:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 11:56:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 11, 2013 12:40:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 5:27:52 PM PDT
Eric S says:
on gamestop they will start shipping by nov'13

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 10:19:41 AM PDT
Holden says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 7:02:11 AM PDT
Sean says:
I just email the Polk customer service group and received this direct reply:

"We are working to finalize the date of availability and should be able to respond within the next week or so."

So it seems like every date listed on any site is "not official" still. I personally would anticipate these still arriving at launch (or at least pre-holiday). With the audio experience Polk has, their direct partnership with MSFT, and the overall style (coloring, hidden mic, etc), I am personally WAY more interested in these than the TB. I am no pro-gamer, so I don't think "simulated 5.1" will really help me very much. However, I can see me sporting this headset while doing more than just gaming and I am sure its going to sound (any audio) pretty darn good.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:10:20 AM PDT
I just spoke with Polk. They don't have an exact release date. They also said because of that Amazon probably just used a filler date. The rep said he was sorry because even they are out of the loop with the exact release date. Don't know what that is all about. He said he has played around with the headphones and they are "killer".

I have decided to go with them regardless of release. The One comes with chat headphones. That's good enough to get by with. TB is good, but this is Polk. And they collaborated. I suspect if they are not released day one it will be shortly thereafter.

Btw, they have great customer service.

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 2:31:39 AM PDT
Matt Perham says:
The only thing I'm wary of with the Polk is how sensitive the mic will be. I love my current Turtle Beaches on my X360 because the audio quality from what others say, and what I hear myself when testing, is awesome. The noise canceling foam seems to work really well. However, on PC, I have a pair of Logitech G930's, and people constantly complain and tell me that it picks up every little sound, to the point that they even hear my breathing very clearly.

That's basically the biggest thing for me. I don't want to pay $160 and see that the noise cancellation is really terrible on these, whereas I would imagine the Turtle Beaches would contain the awesome noise cancellation that their previous iterations had.

Other than that, I really love how the Polk Headset looks versus the XO4s and XO7s.

Another thing I was wondering. It seems like the only differences (from what I've read) between the XO4's and XO7's, is that the XO7's have interchangeable faceplates (un-needed), and memory foam ear cushions. So wouldn't it be better to compare the XO4s ($100) to the 4Shots ($160), or am I missing something there?

Posted on Oct 19, 2013 6:31:35 AM PDT
Well, it was just confirmed on endgadget's website. Neither the polks or TBs will be available until early 2014. No third party headphones will be available at launch. Microsoft is still working on the adapter. We will have to make do with the supplied headphones. I'm still getting the One, but geez MS, you keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2013 1:38:10 PM PDT
Matt Perham says:
@Sean,

I just read that as well. Bummer. I have no other way to transmit audio since I play on a monitor, so I guess my only option now is to either buy a cheap sound-bar for the meantime or buy an Optical to RCA adapter, since the Turtle Beaches I have currently are RCA input. And then I won't even be able to use voice chat with the headset included with the One since I'd already have the Turtle Beaches on my head.

I don't get why Polk and TB need the adapter for their XBO headsets. Shouldn't they be made FOR the XBO, and not require an adapter?

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 2:15:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2013 2:16:36 PM PDT
Any one know why an adapter is needed. It seems the collaboration part of things between Xbox and Both Headsets are meant as an after thought. Xbox should have just built the volume control into the controller from the start and keep the same shape and size of the new controller unmodified. Also the only reason for the voice to go through the controller first was probably just for the shipped headsets because if that wasn't the case, why not just build the headsets with the wifi direct and skip the cords to the controller. So I think I must skip all of these first models and wait for this to happen next round. Besides my xp400s will still work for "Surround Sound" and I can always use the Kinect to chat.

Posted on Nov 24, 2013 2:13:17 AM PST
Masael255 says:
Without being able to test both, I would highly suggest the Polk and hold out for them to launch. Using Turtle Beaches in the past, I find their sound to be decent for games but fairly overpriced for the overall sound quality. Polk's history of quality sound products should shine in this headset as it did in their other line of high end headphones.

I would caution people to be wary of the "surround sound" gimmicks being touted by most gaming peripherals. Having used Triton AX 720s, AX Pros, and now using just a regular set of stereo headphones, I can assure you that the audio positioning and surround immersion added by the "surround sound" add-ons usually detract from the overall clarity of the sound itself. For my ears, what ends up happening is a more distanced and muddy sound that interferes with the clarity while increasing positioning. Stereo itself is well able to reproduce positioning accurately so a higher quality pair of headphones/a nice headset should trump a "surround" headset. I would strongly urge people who disagree with me to listen to the Virtual Barber Shop with any pair of headphones to hear quality positioning with just stereo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Also, please note that I'm not a Polk fanboy. I love their speakers but, for headphones, I use a high quality set of Beyerdynamics as my primary choice. Polk, however, has a great set of offerings and I'm very excited to try this headset when it comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 6:27:03 AM PST
Im going with polks, for the very simple reason of great customer service.

When i was putting my surround sound setup for my gaming rig, i emailed them and asked some questions about highend home theater speakers, for my tx-nr818 (i know its overkill to use a 1200 dollar reciever for computer audio, but, i got in on a group buy, and got it super cheap) the customer service directed me to some high quality timbre matched for about half of what i was prepared to pay and the part numbers to make sure i got the right models.Sound quality is superb.

This has sold me on polk.How many companies would direct you to a equal but, lower cost item.

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 9:07:41 PM PST
Anyone know how these are powered? Like, where is the amp? IN the headphones? If so, is the amp powered by the controller's battery, or does it have a rechargeable battery in the ear cups?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 4:40:49 AM PST
They work the same as the current Xbox one chat headphones. They hook up to the controller via an audio adapter. That's it. I would imagine it is powered through the controller. The instruction manual is now published on Polk's website.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 7:42:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2014 7:44:44 PM PST
Owen Engler says:
no the diffrence beetween the XO7's and the XO4's is that the XO7's have a Headset Breakaway Cable and a Breakaway Cable w. Inline Microphone, for gaming on a mobil phone or using as headphones.

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:45:33 AM PST
Has anyone seen any updates on the release dates for these or the TBs? I have seen nothing other than the Feb 14 date which for some reason I am not buying. Honestly, I find it ridiculous that it is taking this long, and the adapter issue is something MS should have worked with these companies on well in advance. I'm getting sick of having to use the included headset and playing with the tv low while my wife is asleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 6:04:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2014 6:05:34 PM PST
N. Herron says:
Gamestop is actually now saying the release is March 7...since the Xbox One has optical out, I use my old TBs for "quiet gaming", it's just a pain if i wanna play a game online since i have to plug in the mono headset the One came with

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 6:43:01 PM PST
Brandon says:
You can always use the Kinect to chat, and then have other players come through your headset. Then there's no reason to plug in the headset that's included with the One.

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 6:50:02 PM PST
except that the new Cod Ghosts game does not recognize the kinect and will not work with chat. You can use it for party chat as that is through the Xbox interface and not the game interface, but you can't chat it up with lobbies with the old TB headset. It is game specific though. Not sure what other games also do not work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 10:22:28 PM PST
Gabriel M. says:
false. i chat through kinect while playing ghost....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about