Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 7, 2004
This is an excellent book. i believe all dog owners who love thier best friend must read it.
john fisher is a dog behaviourist, read: dog shrink. reading between the lines of this book, i believe he is very dedicated and is driven strongly by his love for dogs.
in the first chapter of this book, he explains what it is he does - he listens and looks at how a dog behave, or what the problem behaviours are; he would use then his vast knowledge of how a dog would behave/think to recommend a solution.

next, he would explain how modern society/living clashes with having a well behaved dogs. the crux of most dog problems is social ranking. modern society sets this basic instinct in dogs awry at times. in a short chapter, he tries to tell us how we can re-establish ourselves as masters in the eyes of the dog.
the rest of the book lists from A-Z a long list of behaviourial problems and how to deal with it. most problems will be attached a related real life problem he encountered, and the solution he advised.
the book concludes with a 10 page appendix. this is where he lists his techniques to olve problem behaviours, there are only 1 or 2 techniques though.
i suspect 'Think Dog! An Owner's Guide to Canine Psychology' by the same author is a newer version of this book, which was first published in 1991. so you could check that book out.
if you love dogs, understand their mentality, read this book!
on January 18, 2003
Written by an experienced pet behaviour councellor, this book is a must-read for dog owners, especially inexperienced ones. One of the most educational books on dogs I've ever come across. Explains many misconceptions we have about the way dogs interact and behave and assumptions we make that lead to negative results when training our dogs. Every topic discussed is supported by examples from Mr. John Fisher's practice in his work with problem behaviour, or rather what we label as problem behaviour according to our value system. I'll definitely buy Mr. Fisher's other book "Dogwise: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog" as soon as I find it.
on November 27, 2000
This book is a must for dog owners! Dealing with a dominant puppy was such a frustration until I read Mr. Fisher's book. My puppy's attitude changed the first day I implemented these training ideas. He is now a joy to be around. All it took was me learning to think like a puppy!
on May 18, 2013
This book is very educational and interesting. It has helped me to make my dog a better companion for my family. Everyone that gets a dog should read this book and use it as the guideline for a well rounded family pet. Maybe then there would not be so many dogs in the pound that have behavioral issues and they are not wanted anymore. Big CUDOS to the aurthor for a well writen book.
on September 10, 2012
As a dog trainer,owner, and rescuer I highly recommend this book. It has been around for a long while and almost everything in it has stood the test of time. It helped me a lot when I had breeds whose behaviours I didn't understand. It is an easy read and doesn't try to "sell" you on a specific trainer's theories. I've leant, and lost, many copies of this book and my students have loved it.
on May 9, 2009
This is one of the few books I have "at the ready" and use as a resource. Running a dog rescue organization, I like to have answers easily accessible through our vets, trainers and through use of books and other resources. This book helps you to understand how a dog looks at you and the world around him. It's written with humor and is very user-friendly and informative. This is one book I will have for a very long time.
on December 18, 2012
I recommend this book for all dog owners. It is a very thoughtful analysis and summary of research based guidance for owners. I especially recommend it for adopters of older dogs.
on November 15, 2012
I walk rescue dogs at a re homing centre. This book has been a brilliant aid to me helping me to understand dogs behaviour and to try to correct wrong behaviour in the right way.
on December 13, 2011
My husband loves this book. He bought one for a friend. It really dives into the psychology of the dog. Excellent book for dog owners. Highly, highly, highly recommend!
on July 30, 2013
this is a great dog handbook to understand why he/she does the things he/she does. i still open it every now and then and my dog is two!