5.0 out of 5 stars A truly foundational book for anyone serious about Psychology.
"I" almost didn't purchase this book - what a serious mistake that would have been! Having read The Ego Tunnel: The Science of the Mind and the Myth of the Self by Philosopher Thomas Metzinger, I felt I was thoroughly acquainted with the notion that there is no self. Also, I have read: Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Behavioral...
Published on February 24, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the Hedgehog!
In philosopher Isaiah Berlin's analogy, there is a hedgehog and a fox. The hedgehog who knows a lot about one big idea, and the fox who knows a little about a lot of different ideas. Robert Kurzban appears in this book to be very much a hedgehog: his idea is that our brain is not really a unitary whole so much as a collection of modules that sometimes might communicate...
Published on June 18, 2011 by Kevin Currie-Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolutionary Psychology at its most exciting, May 20, 2012
There are many fine books in circulation these days describing the ways that human psychology is counterintuitive and irrational, with surprising consequences for policy and society. However, these volumes ultimately fail to satisfy the reader's quest for explanation, for the "why" behind our illogical ways. Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind does what an important work should do: It offers an elegantly powerful framework for understanding these seemingly nonsensical phenomena using concise, humorous, and accessible writing. This book is for anyone who has wondered what "self control" is and why it is so easily expended (think of the modern obesity problem), why most people rate themselves "above average" on positive traits and "self esteem" is so difficult to define or measure, why ignorance is sometimes the best option, or why people who publicly condemn others for their moral transgressions will commit those same offenses in private. Kurzban's unrelenting logic and research in evolutionary psychology will challenge your basic assumptions about who "you" are and why you behave the way you do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Help You Expand Your Way of Thinking, February 13, 2014
By using a combination of facts, studies and anecdotes Robert Kurzban gives the reader an introduction of evolutionary psychology. I've only taken a 100 level college course on Psychology so I can't speak to what spectrum of the science it falls on. I did feel that the ideas were sound though and have had success using them to my advantage.

For example: Kurzban likens the brain to an iPhone and the mind to the apps that are loaded on it. You can listen to music while you browse the internet. But you can't play a game and take notes at the same time. Knowing that, it's easy for me to visualize all of my behavior as some routine being run by a part of my mind. If I feel conflicted about something maybe it's because two "apps" are trying to run at the same time. Spending money on $0.69 songs feels good in the moment but not later when I'm reviewing my checking account balance.

If this sounds interesting to you then you should read the book. Robert Kurzban is much better at explaining the reasonings behind it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best and most important books of today in the field ..., February 20, 2015
This is one of the best and most important books of today in the field of evolutionary psychology (EP) about the new ways of looking at the human brain. It's very well written very clearly and can reach an audience far beyond the experts. Robert Kurzban, in my opinion, is one of the most prominent evolutionary psychologists and his work will remain.
The author shows us how it works our cognitive machinery in a modular perspective angle of the EP and thus helps to finish with some myths and classical visions of the brain and of individual decision-making processes. Worth a read and I strongly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book on Evolutionary Psychology for Academics or just those who want to know more about the topic, January 30, 2015
A truly great overview of evolutionary psychology. I've read a lot on the topic so don't consider myself a layman but this was I think quite readable for a lay audience but still worth reading for academics. Also, I sent an email to the author with some minor critiques and he replied very positively. If you like Steven Pinker you will also love this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars In addition to being a great read for the purpose of its own contribution to ..., October 22, 2014
I read this book immediately after reading Haidt's The Righteous Mind. I found Kurzban's book a vast improvement (despite preceding Haidt's book). It provides a more consistent analysis of the relevant psychological processes. It is also more methodologically consistent. Finally, where Haidt engages in a rather slapdash sampling of evolutionary psychology, which leads to most of his problems, Kurzban provides a consistent and rigorous approach to evo psy. In addition to being a great read for the purpose of its own contribution to moral psychology, Why Everyone also serves as a great general introduction to the theoretical foundations of evolutionary psychology and the modular mind. I just hate the title! The subtitle is the real title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurzban is the man, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind (Hardcover)
Rob's sarcasm & enthusiasm in the classroom comes out on paper, too! Great educator; he carefully articulates the tenets of Evolutionary Psychology and easily instills in the student/reader a passion for this academic discipline. Kurzban is one of those teachers that shows you how to think: how to ask the right questions and how to evaluate any potential answers. Add this book along with the basics of evolution to the List of Things Everybody Living in the Twenty-First Century Should Know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 30, 2014
Author brings out some very good points. I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars learned alot, August 24, 2014
I'm just starting to become interested in evolutionary psychology and in particular the modular view of the mind. This book helped me understand many aspects of my own and others' behavior that I never thought about before. In general I feel I have a much better grasp now of what is going on inside me, and that is invaluable. Minus one star because at times he inserts his opinion with substantiation and also makes alot of lame jokes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressing book, March 19, 2014
ferran (País Valencià (South Europe)) - See all my reviews
I've really enjoyed reading this book. The author cleverly explains some of the most intriguing aspects of Evolutionary Psychology in a plain language without missing specificity or scientific rigour. The points about breaking down charlatan-like psychological literature about self-esteem, self-control and other similar topics are really brilliant. I'll recommend it for all my Psychology students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning, June 20, 2011
Kurzban's book is charming, clever, funny and wry. He wears his learning lightly. But do not be fooled. This is a deeply subversive and radical book. It will mess with your head.

Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind
Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind by Robert Kurzban (Hardcover - January 23, 2011)
Used & New from: $7.75