4.0 out of 5 stars Why is God Ignoring Me-a book review
Published on March 27, 2010 by Deborah Leathers

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of answers, but not enough room for questions?
I recently received Why is God Ignoring Me? by Gary Habermas for review from Tyndale House Publishers. Dr. Habermas is a professor of apologetics and philosophy at Liberty University and is known for his work on the historical case for the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Published on March 28, 2010 by dachkl

4.0 out of 5 stars Why is God Ignoring Me-a book review, March 27, 2010
When I first requested a copy of Gary R. Habermas' book "Why Is God Ignoring Me", it was at a time when I too was going through some tough times in my life. In this book, Gary shares insights of his own struggles with the feeling of silence from God. He shares some of the reasons why we may be experiencing the silence, and also ways that encourage someone to stay strong and not give up. Of course we know that God is always there,but sometimes the answers we are waiting for don't come as quickly as we would like them to. But He always responds in the way that is best for us, according to His will for our life.
Gary has a direct way of pointing to reasons why God will choose to use His silence as an answer. Scripture shows us that no answer to us, is actually an answer according to God. He spares us from the things that will lead us into danger or sometimes even death.
I felt this book was easy to follow and comprehend. It will be helpful for others to read and apply to their lives, also reading it helps to know that what we are going through others have gone through and survived.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of answers, but not enough room for questions?, March 28, 2010
dachkl (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

Since high school, I have struggled to figure out what faith looks like when my experience of God's presence is confronted by my experience with the presence of evil and suffering in our world and the seeming silence of God. I've read a number of books on related topics, and was interested in reading this popular work on the subject by an important voice in conservative/apologetic evangelical Christianity.

Habermas' book begins by acknowledging that there is "just enough evidence [about God] to convince, but not enough to coerce" (xiii) and recognizing the tension between what we believe (and once experienced) about God and the silence or absence that characterizes much of our existence. Throughout the book, Habermas discusses topics such as supernatural events, relevant biblical texts, and the practice of prayer to defend the reality of God's presence despite experiences or feelings that might suggest otherwise. When faced with a crisis of faith or a period of spiritual drought, Habermas encourages readers to turn to examples of Biblical accounts of those who held on to faith despite God remaining unseen, engage in the practice of spiritual disciplines, and reflect on what one knows to be true (or what has been known to be true in the past) even in times of doubt or disbelief.

Habermas' argument and starting point is consistent throughout: God is real even if we may not always experience that reality. The book contains a number of stories and examples of God at work in the world, combined with autobiographical sketches of Habermas' own journey through pain and suffering. While I appreciated the clarity of the book's message, I did not feel that it always provided enough space to acknowledge the existential and emotional struggle and loneliness often present in faith, and it perhaps too quickly moved to provide sound logical arguments to quench a thirst that may not be so easily satisfied. I do not doubt that many will find the book a helpful and practice resource for confronting doubt and the perennial issue of "God's silence," yet was personally left desiring more room (or perhaps more permission) to doubt, question, and linger in the questions raised by the journey of faith.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so, March 28, 2010
I recently had the opportunity to review Why is God Ignoring Me? by Gary R. Habermas on behalf of Tyndale Publishing. Often times, suffering situations cause us to look at God and doubt His heart towards us. I thought this book might provide some good insight into where God is in the midst of suffering.

The book opened with the author sitting by his wife of 23 years bedside as she lay dying of cancer. I was "pleased" that the author of the book has been through suffering and would be talking not only from theological theory but also from real life experience.

After reading the book, I would have to give it a 2 out of 5. It is filled with TONS of truth but I personally felt it was lacking in some areas and that depending on where people are at in their process the book could cause them to have more questions then answers. I personally, would not feel comfortable giving the book to my family members who are in the early stages of the grieving process. I believe this book is more appropriate for people a few steps removed from the grieving process, or for people who think God are ignoring them for reasons other than death.

Finally, one frustrating part for me was that he had many points where he would make a very bold statements and then would say, "I'll address the reasons that support that statement in a chapter later in the book." He did this at least 4 times throughout the book. When I would read the statement, I wouldn't feel comfortable agreeing with him because it wasn't supported and then I would forget what the statement was so I never knew for sure if he supported everything he declared as true. I wish that he either wouldn't have made the statements at those points in time, or that he would of indicated the page numbers where he provided the support for his statements.

I did enjoy the last 2 chapters of the book and I believe the book contained a lot of truth and so based on that I do think the book contains some value and truth for people in a questioning state.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: Why is God Ignoring Me, March 5, 2010
The book Why is God Ignoring Me? by Gary R. Habermas was not what I expected, but in a good way. I don't know what I was expecting. I think what I was expecting was a book full of all those times in our lives when we feel that God is ignoring us and a chapter of "but wait...here's God." What I got was an entire book of "here's God!" From the first chapter, Habermas is showing where God is active in our lives, that God is not ignoring us. Sometimes, according to Habermas, God's presence is supernatural (Chapter 1). Sometimes, God's presence is a "love letter" (Chapter 2).

Parts of the book made me think. Chapter 5, for example, gave conditions for God answering prayer. At first I thought, "Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right." I got hung up on the word "conditions." But by the end of the chapter, I was in agreement with Habermas as there are conditions to the answer of prayer.

Chapter 6 was the one I found most interesting. This chapter is about spiritual disciplines and how they draw us closer to God. I think the reason I was drawn to this chapter was I have never been very good at the spiritual disciplines. But it made me think outside the box that is my preconceived notions; that maybe my spiritual disciplines fall under what Habermas labels as "Other Disciplines."

I did take issues with one statement from Habermas. This statement comes from the chapter three during a discussion of God's answering of prayers. It might seem like a small thing, it might seem that I'm being nit-picky, but for some reason it just bothered me. Habermas states, "Second, the prayers in the Bible, even those of the greatest saints, were not always answered." (43) The issue I have with this statement is, I believe that God always answers prayers...the answer just might be no and sometimes that is the best way to interpret God's silence; not that God is ignoring me, but the answer is no.

I don't know what led me to pick this book from Tyndale, but I'm glad I did. I think it has a lot to do with my life situation at this very moment.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimer:
I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers as part of their blog network book review program. Providing me a free copy in no way guarantees a favorable review. The opinions expresses in this review are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Read, July 14, 2010
Habermas is well respected as an apologist and historian, yet this book appears to be a personal journey through his unanswered questions rather than the cohesive scholarly look into difficult subject matter I had expected. In fact, the title is misleading. This book doesn't deal with the reasons for God's silence so much as it does with highlighting biblical and modern examples of God's appearance and "disappearance" to His people. Those who need that encouragement may get what they're looking for from this read. For those looking for a quick, biblically sound list of why God's voice seems muted, check out my post on Questions to Ask Ourselves when God is Silent ([...]

But despite Habermas' efforts to explain the balance between what God has allowed us to experience and what He chooses to heal, I felt his argument was circular, unorganized, superficial, and lacking divine wisdom. It also bothered me that Habermas lumps together suffering and persecution as they are not the same despite sharing a few attributes. And I felt the one chapter that really was most important (regarding telling ourselves positive truths), lacked the theological emphasis it needed to separate solid biblical truths from secular psychological principles.

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of the Tyndale Blog Network.

3.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't get into it., May 2, 2010
This is a hard review for me to write because I want to absolutely adore every book that I review. And so far I have. I couldn't get into Why Is God Ignoring Me? and I'm not sure why. It's not dry. It seems like a well written book. I jumped at the chance to review it because I've been there. I've been in where I have felt is the depths of despair where I actually turned my back on God because I couldn't understand why if he loved me so much he would allow me to go through so much pain, why he wasn't answering my prayers, my calls for help. Maybe it's because I'm not in the spot anymore. I'm happy now. Or maybe it's because everything I read was kind of common sense, things that as Christian, I know in my head, it's just when you're in that bottomless pit of unhappiness, pain, and doubt, what you know in your head isn't always what you feel in your heart. I don't know. It was just a tough read for me to get through. That doesn't mean it won't help you, though. Check out the other reviews on Amazon , there were people who did enjoy this book, who got useful information out of it. It just ended up being a book that wasn't on my top list of things that I've read. I don't know what I was looking for in the book but whatever it was, it didn't jump out at me and give me the a-ha moment that you search for in a book such as this. It might for you though.

I'm giving it 3 stars because even though it wasn't my cup of tea, it isn't a bad book. I reserve 2 and 1 stars for books that I am amazed were even published they were so bad. This book doesn't fall into that at all. It just wasn't for me.

Thank you to Tyndale Publishing for providing me with a copy of Why Is God Ignoring Me?: What to Do When It Feels Like He's Giving You the Silent Treatment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, April 12, 2010
While there was some good information in this book, it was not a favorite read. I felt like the book hopped around too much and didn't have a good flow. I did like the conclusions at the end of the chapters that wrapped things up succinctly. The book does contain discussion questions at the end for those who want to dig a little deeper into the reading and the information presented. Overall, the book had some good points, but it isn't one that I would recommend for someone currently going through the grieving process as they may walk away with more questions than answers...

I received a copy of this book from Tyndale for the purpose of this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't quite recommend, March 24, 2010
This book is a review copy sent to me by Tyndale. I thank them very much for the opportunity to review this book.

The author knows pain. His wife of 23 years, the mother of four children, died of cancer. He knows the loneliness which follows something as horrific as that. Although he doesn't go into much detail in the book, this is an author who is obviously writing as someone who is truly sympathetic with the person reading this book. Yet at the same time I don't think he gets to the heart of the matter and I feel he is often missing connections either with what the reader feels they want or what's most important from a spiritual perspective.

Much of the book is about how God is working in the world. He isn't silent. He is working and speaking through healing, answered prayer, angels, demons, near-death experiences and people who haven't heard the gospel who have been prepared for it. If I was in the situation of wondering why God is ignoring me, I would be thinking, "But what about me? That's great that these things are happening to other people but I still feel ignored."

Next he talks about "love letters". Things that are more subtle than the last chapter like feelings of joy, conviction of sin (a good one), etc. I kept thinking, What about the Bible? I wouldn't necessarily call it a love letter, but it's one big collection of letters written by God through people to us. Any time we want, we can hear God speak to us by just reading it. We may not often get a special revelation, word of comfort or conviction of sin, but God's word is living and active (Hebrews 4:12), not just a collection of text. Augustine said, "The Holy Scriptures are our letters from home." Thomas Watson, a prolific Puritan writer wrote, "Think in every line you read that God is speaking to you."

A strength of the book is Biblical Teaching That Life Will Be Difficult (page 46) that's within Chapter 3 - Our Favorite Verses. This talks a lot about the Biblical view of suffering which is really what people who feel ignored by God are going through. There is a lot of Scripture given in this chapter. He writes about how prayer isn't always answered (or the answer is 'no'). He writes about the Bible saying that life isn't always going to be rosy, even some of Jesus' prayers weren't answered, Christians in the present time are often strengthened through sickness, trouble etc.

Some of the things written about are legitimate and some are on the edge without a lot of backing from Scripture. It reminds me of the book Prayer by Richard Foster. And interestingly enough he refers to that book a lot. I gave it a very unfavorable review on my blog.

A good quote from this book that I wish he would have dwelt more on is, "By giving God the preeminent place in our lives, we draw closer to him, and in doing so, we just might find that he's not as hidden as we might have assumed. Concentrating preeminently on God can help promote a mind-set and atmosphere in which he can work more fully in us."

Chapter 7 is what I would call spiritual (in a good way) cognitive therapy, or what we tell ourselves. This is done in a way that isn't worldly and helps us to think in a more Godly way.

In the last paragraph of the book he writes," We know so much more than Job ever did, especially the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. With such a foundation, we are more than justified to trust God with those matters we don't understand. Shouldn't we be willing to grow and mature spiritually as we wait for our resurrection, which will place all our suffering in an eternal perspective?"

This would be a good place for the book to start and concentrate on.

Although the author is a Christian apologist and is a solid conservative evangelical Christian I can't recommend this book, although it may be helpful for some.

I would recommend How Long, O Lord? by D.A. Carson. The title gets to the heart of the matter and even that is Scriptural. Cries of the Heart by Ravi Zacharias is also good. There are also many good books on suffering in general and trusting God like Suffering and the Sovereignty of God by John Piper et. all and Trusting God by Jerry Bridges.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is God Ignoring Me?, March 20, 2010
Everyone knows that we always seem to focus more on the negative things in our live rather than the things we should be grateful for, especially all the positive things that happens. We also tend to think that if something we hope and/or pray for does not happen that our wishes or prayers are not being answered, and if you are a religious person that God is ignoring us. The first thing that came to my mind when I read the title and the description, was the song Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks. If you aren't familiar with the song, it's about a guy who prays for certain things in his life and because those things don't happen he feels that God isn't answering his prayers. In the end, he realizes that it wasn't that his prayers weren't being answered or that God was ignoring him, it was more that God had something better in mind for him.

Like the Garth Brooks song Unanswered Prayers, the book Why Is God Ignoring Me? is letting you know that God is always there, even though you may not realize it at every moment.

This book was a review copy sent to me by Tyndale House Publishers.

Reviewed by Shawn Ann from Shawn Ann's World.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book not to be ignored, March 7, 2010
Gary Habermas has long been known for his role in Christian apologetics, in particular his contribution to the argument for the resurrection of Jesus. Yet Habermas proves himself to be much more than a one trick pony by tackling the daunting challenge of the supposed silence of God in Why Is God Ignoring Me? Others have addressed this question--most notably in my mind Philip Yancey in his book Disappointment With God--but Habermas covers new ground and gives answers both emotionally and intellectually satisfying.

Indeed, his intellectual approach is clear from the onset as he deals with the issue of "Supernatural Activities In Our World" in the first chapter. In the following chapters he then addresses the biblical tension felt between the nearness of God and the promise that we will face hardship--the same tension that many of the biblical characters themselves had to face. Yet one of the most simple--and profound--answers to the problem of the supposed silence of God is that the problem may not lie on God's side. Thus he points us towards some of the classical spiritual disciplines as a sort of spiritual troubleshooting.

While it's a short book (139 pages), Why Is God Ignoring Me? packs a significant punch for those in doubt and a needed lift for those in pain. Christians should certainly be glad that we have one as Gary Habermas investigating the resurrection of Christ. Now we can be equally glad he is investing some time and effort toward other pressing issues for the Christian's confidence.

This book was a free review copy provided by Tyndale House Publishers.

Rate and Discover Movies