Customer Discussions > Metal Gear Solid HD Collection forum

Why M rating - from a lame Mom

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 6:30:45 AM PST
Kim H. says:
Hello all you MSG players - what is the M rating in these games for? I know it's violent - how bad, and how bad is the language? Anything else I won't approve of? Trying to decide whether to get this set for teenage boys. And will they need the first MSG?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:34:38 AM PST
Jon Berry says:
These games have blood and gore, drug reference, intense violence, language , sexual themes and use of tobacco. With that said its really up to the player how violent it gets, you can stun , knock out and sneak past enemies without killing them ( you must kill bosses tho ). It doesn't have extreme language going off all the like modern shooters. Theres a sex scene which is graphic or anything, its pretty like something that would be in a day time movie. Theres one part when one of the main character is naked but you can only see his back and not the front. They would need the first one , which is available on psn for 6 dollars I think. I hope that helps and sorry about my writing I wrote this kinda fast :p.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 12:24:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 12:27:10 PM PST
Gift Card says:
Like the previous guy said, the biggest thing is graphic violence. However, it's not gratuitous, it serves a purpose. There's also cigarette smoking and some sexual themes (nothing overt, there's some kissing with sex implied in MGS3). Language isn't too bad (No F-word, only in MGS4). But depending on how mature your boys are, I would HIGHLY recommend the games. While they are "video games" they are extremely thought provoking and full of social critique, history, philosophy, politics, and themes of loyalty and patriotism. That being said, they are extremely entertaining.

As for MGS1, if you have PS3, you can download it for $10 on the PlayStation network. The graphics are very dated, but the game is the best in the series. However, you don't have to play it first because the series is not in chronological order. The chronological order is:

(Metal Gear Solid 3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops- A PSP game
(Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)
(Metal Gear)
(Metal Gear 2)
Metal Gear Solid
(Metal Gear Solid 2)
Metal Gear Solid 4

The games in () are included in the HD collection. So You can start with MGS3 (Chronologically first) or Metal Gear (The first game made).

To sum up, I would highly recommend this for your teenager, its 5 games for the price of 1!

*Also, Peace Walker is only rated "Teen."

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:40:32 AM PST
Kim H. says:
Thank you very much for the two responses I got! They both helped a lot - helped me to decide to purchase this set for our boys. They'll be surprised at Christmas - I haven't allowed an M-rated game in the house yet! However, it sounds like there's nothing worse here than what they see in tv commercials. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 11:57:02 AM PST
I would agree with what the people said above us. However, I got my first metal gear solid game (mgs3) when I was in 6th grade. Although violent and had some sexual themes, It was nothing I hadn't seen before in the movies. I would say mgs3, if a movie, would fall a little bit more than pg-13. Regardless, though, they are great games (especially mgs3).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 10:43:18 AM PST
I don't know, I think if it were a movie they would treat it to an "R", just because of the Rambo style. Great collection though, your kids will love it! I started with Metal Gear Solid 1 at a young age, it's what brought me into gaming, really.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 11:28:53 PM PST
Cars&Guitars says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 5:25:05 AM PST
DryvBy says:
Don't judge M-rated games by their cover! I'm glad you at least found out why the game was rated why it was rated.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 12:26:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2011 12:29:49 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 11:37:47 PM PST
S. Rhodes says:
To be honest, I'm a bit more concerned that a child might find the story of MGS to be a bit too dense. The violence is something that, for the most part, can be downplayed at some point. In fact, there are greater rewards in these games for going through the game killing as few people as possible. What really sets the bar for a mature game is that the themes and story presented in these games just might be too overreaching for the average child. The maturity is definitely in much more than just the violence. We're talking a deeply political tale, here. It's a fun game to play. My concern is whether or not a child is likely to really understand it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 2:47:14 PM PST
Kthulhu says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:44:03 AM PST
Lunar Steel says:
Wow someone likes there mindless Call of Duty games. You Xbox FPS players are destroying gaming for the rest of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 12:58:47 PM PST
Kthulhu says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:28:35 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Dude why would you come to a Thread just to bash a product, do you really have no life? MGS is an amazing Series. even IGN listed MGS1 as one the best games of all time! MGS is not FPS. Its a stealth game. COD is a FPS Multiplayer game. Two totally different genres. I appreciate what Kojima does with his games. Other games are still amazing. Take the Assasins Creed Series and Uncharted Series for example. Go GET yourself a girlfriend

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 7:30:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 7:32:19 AM PST
Scott E. says:
You're arguing with a Dungeons and Dragons fan, are you expecting anything less Fidel?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 8:18:01 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
lol

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 1:57:48 PM PST
Kthulhu says:

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:10:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 2:13:34 PM PST
mel says:
I played the first MGS for the PS1 when I was about 11 or 12 years old.. I thought it was pretty good. MGS is not like games such as Grand Theft Auto when they say M they REALLY mean mature.. it's M mainly because of some violence but not overtly done like GTA and those type of games. I think your kids will like it. I know I did all those years ago!

With that said, I think the story in MGS will go over their heads, especially MGS2. I didn't get it back when I first played it (I was 13 I believe), it wasn't until two years ago when I went back to play it and found the plot to be very different than what's presented at face value. But you don't really need to get the story to enjoy the games. Just sneak around! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 10:48:17 PM PST
Kthulhu says:

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 9:02:28 AM PST
Solidus says:
Your kids are lucky to be getting these games, I played the hell out of MGS back when it first came out, and as lame as it sounds, this series has been a big influence on me. It's just that good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 4:31:51 PM PST
R. Sigmon says:
Why are you bashing the product in a thread where a person was asking about the rating? Are you just THAT bored or are you a senseless hater who wants to bash it every minute you get? I mean seriously. Find something better to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:34:48 PM PST
Tango Mike says:
I am sure you have already purchased this, and they (and you, possibly) will be very pleased how deep the story is, and how much it weaves historical fact with it's own fictional story. While it can be violent the main protagonist carries a gun, but thiese titles are no more violent than say, Mission Impossible 3, or many many similar PG-13 rated films. The 'F' bomb is dropped in MGS4, once, and even caught me off guard when it was said because well, it was the first time I have ever heard it in any MGS game. (I watched the cutscene again, just to make sure I really heard it) I honestly don't understand why it didn't get a 'T' rating, aside from the blood, smoking, and implied sex/drug usage. Also, a side note, you can tweak options in Metal Gear Solid 4 to bring it down to a 'T' rating, so if they feel the need to finish the storyline, it's something to think about when deciding to get that for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 2:37:50 PM PST
Tango Mike says:
You have been living under a rock, now please go back and stay there. Your obvious shortsighted opinions make it very clear you either 1) Never played the games, or 2) Were stoned/drunk and played the game Rambo style, and didn't even try to play it as a stealth action title it's meant to be.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection by Konami (PlayStation 3)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (268)