5.0 out of 5 stars A better way to work and manage!
Published 18 months ago by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, but lots of repeated info
This book has a LOT of repeat info from Jody and Cali. Their first book completely blew my mind and I'm confident has started a quiet, but powerful, revolution. The ideas in that book are incredible and timely, and it's clear to me they work.

Published 18 months ago by Charlie Cleveland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A better way to work and manage!, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Why Managing Sucks and How to Fix It: A Results-Only Guide to Taking Control of Work, Not People (Hardcover)
Why Managing Sucks is the follow up to Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It. I highly recommend both books. The authors have proven success on how ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) can work for any business. Business get better results by only worrying about results. Managers learn in this book how to manage work instead of employees in a ROWE environment. This ROWE movement can not only fix our workforce problem but can also save the planet. Can you imagine less cars on the road during the morning/evening rush hours? How about bringing more business back to the local cities people live in for shopping, food, and staying in town? Can you imagine workers who get work done when it suits them and then actually working smarter, communicating better, and gets better results? It you can imagine that, you should not only purchase these two books, but start a ROWE at your company. Enjoy the book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My number one recommendation for managers struggling to "manage people", February 20, 2013
B. Eubanks (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
Length:: 8:37 Mins

I recently read Why Managing Sucks and am very excited about sharing the ROWE principles with our managers. I have a conversation every other week with someone trying to manage their employee's time. This is a how-to guide to turning that conversation to the actual *results*.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fixing management and a lot more, February 16, 2013
I know what you are thinking: this won't work in every workplace, or even this won't work in my workplace. Ressler and Thompson answer those thoughts with a resounding “yes it will”.

Even after reading “Why Managing Sucks, and How to Fix it,” I still find myself thinking of ways, that it might trip up, but with a bit more thought I realise that the model they propose has the simplicity and elegance of the best revolutionary ideas. There is no suggestion that the transition to making your workplace a Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) is easy. No culture shift, or management model shift is easy, and it should not be. The exciting thing for me as a manager is that the model, and the evidence, suggests that is it a change that is embraced by working people, and that is what drives its success, not the edict from the Top for change. And change embraced by working people is real social change.

If you intend to read this, and every manager should, you should also read the “Work Sucks” book as well, as this provides a great deal more insight into how this will work for staff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, but lots of repeated info, January 30, 2013

What I was left wondering after the first book was "How do I actually implement this?". I was hoping that this follow-up would answer those questions. How to measure your employees' results? How to implement a policy like this? Do I just buy the book(s) for everyone? Do I have to buy their consulting service? How do I measure the outcomes for "helper" style roles, where a person facilitates work for others? I found very little in the way of these specifics in this book, only a lot of repetition of the same principles of the first book, and a lot of case studies from their clients.

That's not to say this book wasn't worth reading - the subject matter is so important and so potent that even a reskinning of the first book is a welcome addition. Jody and Cali are pioneers, and have a very important message for the world. If you're interested in adopting ROWE, buy it and read it as fast as possible. But to me it feels like a watered down extension of the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Philosophical Shift to Management Behavior Change, February 18, 2013
The paradigm shifting Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) embraces the realities of the new business world and helps address the challenges of antiquated management and HR policies. The first book "Why WORK Sucks: and how to fix it" was a great primer for organizational change. Yet, it stopped short of how to put the revolution into action. "Why Managing Sucks" expands on the philosophical changes needed and brings them down to a more ground level approach. Change is rarely organizational before it is individual and this book helps managers get started on their road to better performance, more respectful relationships, and more engaged workforce.

Buy this book for any manager who is struggling with attrition or a resistant team due to a controlling style. Have them try a few things and report back on the result. ROWE can start with a team, a department, or a division - but it has to start with managers' support.

Dave N.

2.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing...But fails to live up to the commitment in title, June 27, 2013
This book contains the beginnings of a good idea, but fails to live up to the "How To" promise in the title. It presents its core premise primarily through anecdotes, with slim data to back the claims. And the case studies, which could have been the highlight of the book, are for the most part lightweight overviews.

The authors ask us to accept that work should be structured around results, and not attendance or activity. It's a great premise that's easy to accept if you have spent any amount of time in the typical low-productivity large organization. But the title says "...and How To Fix It." There ain't no "How" in this book.

The reason for my poor review is that this book was the author's chance to show us how to implement their ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) methodology, and they blew it. They quote client after client gushing about how they didn't believe they could do it, but they did! But there's no mention of the "how" promised in the title.

Specifically, I want to know HOW these types of employees (who are all used as examples in the book) can transition from sitting at their work stations for fixed hours to doing their work anytime, anywhere:

* Teachers with classrooms full of kids from 9am-3pm
* Counter service staff at city hall
* Childcare providers
* Retail car parts salesperson

I'm not saying that these jobs cannot be results-only, I am simply observing that the book used these jobs as examples but did not tell us how to make the transition. If it had fulfilled the promise made in the title, this could have been a five-star management book for the ages.

I suspect that the reason there is so little "how" in this book is that it yet another management book intended as bait to attract consulting clients to the authors' business, CultureRX. There are dozens of mentions of the CultureRX Training throughout the book.

Final score: I wanted to give it 2.5 stars. As I wrote this review, I flipped through the book again to find an absolutely compelling case study or "how-to" example to cause me to round up to 3 stars. I couldn't find one, so the final score is two stars. Their editor should have told them this before accepting the manuscript.

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations on your Promotion to Manager!!, February 6, 2013
The concept of Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) is nothing short of revolutionary! In this book, you'll immediately recognize and realize why you hate your job as a manager (And I know you do! - unless of course you like to spend your day dictating the every move of a group of adults).

Remember your enthusiasm at your first promotion to manager? How quickly were your perceptions of that position squashed by the incessant whining and bickering and clock watching and bickering you were focused on each and every day? To say you experienced disappointment would be an understatement. I would imagine you instead questioned your entire being and wondered if you were delusional about other aspects of your life. I know I did!!!

After 20 years in management, I found myself sitting at my desk, office door closed and Do Not Disturb button activated on my phone - EVERY SINGLE DAY. I watched members of my staff come and go and sometimes wondered if I'd even spoken to them in the last quarter. I cried daily, quickly coming to the realization that I.HATED.MY.JOB. I hated managing people. I was sick of the whole gig. As I pondered what the future might hold for me if I abandoned just the managerial aspect of my position, I happened to trip across ROWE and my life has been forever changed!!

Learn how to manage the WORK. Learn how to empower the PEOPLE to do the jobs you hired them to do and meet results for your organization! Set yourself free from the chains of treating other adults like children and instead experience your team flourishing and your organization growing! If you're not familiar with ROWE, definitely get the first book - Work Sucks! (and how to fix it). If you're already in a ROWE, trust me - you will still find some beneficial nuggets in this sequel - I'm a two year ROWE veteran and I certainly did!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Satisfying!!, April 23, 2013
After reading this book, I find that Cali is talking about a concept that is not new. In the "21st century" most managers and entrepreneurs have thought about paying for performance and not time several times before. I think the book completely fails on shedding light on the topic how to implement ROWE in work environments. Pay for performance has been applied to many work environments before but these are the environments where its the logical solution. Every manager interested in pay for performance would come up with a list of reasons how this would still not apply in his/her work settings no matter how good it sounds.
a).Just as an example, how would you decide the amount to be paid for a particular work. If you still have to deal with the same problem in your workplace it would be better off outsourced.
b).If we empower workers to judge their role in the final economic and social output, what margins would there be left for the owners?

I had always fascinated this idea before. The reason I bought this book was to find out if it was actually possible. But the book only offers information on why ROWE is good, the ideas that caught my attention before but what about the most common questions anyone would have to even take rowe as a physical possibility in their heads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too many highlights to mention, February 12, 2013
Robert Aitken (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm a manager, as well as a producer, so it was enlightening to be able to see how a ROWE can be implemented from a couple perspectives.
My kindle was shining bright yellow from so many highlights, many bite-sized pieces, which could be used to support the fresh perspective of future work.
Quotes:
- Outcome-based goals are ongoing, team driven, and always relevant...
- It's not personal. It's business.
- In a ROWE, everyone is clear about what needs to be accomplished, and how it will be measured.
- Performance discussions will be objective, not subjective.
- Avoid "drive-bys!" Driving by someones workstation is the old way of doing things
- Communication and teamwork aren't things you achieve by having everyone sit in the same place.
- If you force them to communicate in your style only, you've lost them.
- What activities enable the outcome?
- Work is what we do, not where we go.
- The more focused (and) respectful of the work and people's time and lives we become, the better...
- ...you can't argue with performance against clearly defined, measurable results.
- The outcome of the work and how it's measured will cause relationships to form.
-...for the first time, people are feeling respected for the work they do.
- ROWE, however, is first and foremost not about "flexibility".
- Removing toxic, judgmental language from the system-and giving each person the freedom to ...
- ROWE helped us see the layers of bureaucracy we created by policing one another...
- A work culture that brings employees to the next level of motivation and performance...
- What matters is mastery of a competency, not how much time it takes to learn it.
- Empowerment +accountability = Engagement
- 69 percent of workers are stressed...
- 51 percent of workers feel overwhelmed...

Although some of the above quotes may be taken out of context; by placing them here, it hopefully paints a picture of some of the tone of the book.

It really struck home with me, as I continually struggle with working in a bureaucracy and the dealing with the judgmental views of others (both "supervisors" and colleagues) who place a higher value on time, processes, policies, and rules than on results.

It is a great resource for those managers and workers who are sick of "gaming" the system (both selves and others), just to try to get things done. In a ROWE, managers manage the work (along with everyone on their team), not the people. Meritocracy is favoured, not bureaucracy...and transparency and accountability come to the fore.

STOP trying to control people (time, tasks, policies).
Good managers of the future will help remove barriers to achieving results, in all jobs.

This book is a treatise that will help managers overcome those likely objections you will hear when moving to a ROWE. There are many prescriptive ideas included, and case studies from successful ROWE participants.

Be brave!
Help create a workplace of the future. One that advocates results, builds personal responsibility, and respects people like adults!

Get the book. Even if you don't move to a ROWE right away, it will help improve the conversation with your managers and team mates in a direction that is better for everyone (employees, managers, and clients).

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you own Why Work Sucks, March 2, 2013
There is no reason to buy this book if you already own Why Work Sucks. This book is nothing more than rehashing their first book with a good bit of trying to sell their consultant gigs. I give it two stars because I'm a huge fan of ROWE.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›