Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon April 25, 2007
Why Not You? is a guide book for those of us who struggle with self-confidence. Burton gives real life examples of issues that many of us face. She gives step-by-step, biblically based instructions for overcoming whatever it might be that holds you back from experiencing freedom.

Readers will find Burton's writing to be thought provoking and her advice to be realistic. She helps the reader to set attainable goals while allowing them to hash out issues that they are struggling with in the fill-in-the-blank space provided within the book. Why Not You? challenges many of the lies we are fed by the media and modern culture such as, "You're only successful if you're rich."

Burton ends each chapter by bringing it all before the Lord, who we can each find our confidence in. If you struggle with self-confidence and are looking for a way to overcome, this book will lead you down the right path. Readers will finish the book with not only the tools to overcome self-doubt, but with a stronger understanding of their spiritual walk as well.

Review by:

Jill Hart, CWAHM.com
on August 17, 2007
If you're ready to move forward in life but feel like something's holding you back, here's the book for you.

Life coach Valorie Burton offers this action-oriented, step-by-step guide that reveals secrets to unlocking authentic confidence. Unlike self-help books that lead readers away from God, the author writes, "Authentic confidence is about what God can do through you, in you, and for you."

Each of the 28 short chapters is packed with Scripture and includes personal stories from Burton's life, as well as the hundreds of people she's counseled and surveyed over the years.

She'll help you identify the real source of your fears, learn to speak up, give yourself permission to be imperfect, and stop competing and comparing. After reading this book, you'll feel rejuvenated, ready to face the next phase of your life with the confidence you need to make your dreams a reality.

--Christian Women Online Book Buzz
on May 13, 2007
Excellent book! It has been a tremendous help to me in my quest for 100% confidence (not just partial confidence as she talks about in the book). I have been working to (consistently) implement some of the tools that she has suggested. Great book--it's as if she has been inside my mind because she expresses some of the exact emotions that I feel or have felt. Thank you, Valorie!
on January 12, 2008
The Ups and Downs of Being Round

It took me a while to get started because of my crazy schedule, but I decided to make increasing my confidence a priority. From that day on I would wake up every morning and read one chapter a day.

Valorie Burton organized the book in manageable chunks so that you can focus on one area of self-improvement at a time. Self-improvement is really not the best word to describe it though because she used scriptures and prayers to help us to realize that being confident is not just about self-confidence, because we cannot do it alone. It is all about having authentic confidence which is very much dependant on your faith in how God works through you.

I enjoyed the confidence exercises that she recommended for each day. They were simple and they were not intimidating, but they made a big difference.

Monica Marie Jones
Author of "The Ups and Downs of Being Round" and "Taste My Soul"
on July 17, 2011
I bought this during my last year of grad school when I had to do presentations for my internship (which was necessary to graduate). In the past I've always avoided public speaking at all costs and felt nervous the entire day when I had to present for school (even after the presentation) and this book helped me tremendously. I felt so confident after that-that new career opportunities opened up to me. I now feel confident applying for jobs I typically avoided in the past because of the requirement to give presentations. I lent the book to a friend who's having the same anxiety I once had and I can't wait to hear she feels after reading it.
on April 21, 2016
I am five days into reading this book, and have already been helped, immensely. It is very clear that Valorie Burton has received a vision, and through this book she has made it clear.

My doubts and insecurities began melting away after reading Day 1. I can't imagine how much more authentically confident I will be after Day 28.

If you are struggling with confidence shortcomings I highly recommend reading this book. It will also help to have a blank journal handy in which to record your thoughts and daily Confidence Journal assignments which end each day's chapter.
on May 29, 2014
It took me a while to read this book because I would always miss a few days and its set up like a devotional. However, once I committed to it, I looked forward to reading it every night. I loved how it read, I loved the biblical perspective and I enjoyed the activities at the end of each day/chapter. I'm looking forward to reading more from Valorie Burton.
on January 10, 2010
I am in my 40s and wish I would have read this years ago! She gives very practical and doable
ideas for everyday which is explained so well. I am always trying to use God's direction and will in my life and this book has helped me with HOW to do some of the things which come difficult for me. Thank you, Valerie! I am buying this for a friend today and wanted to express my appreciation for your great ideas and wisdom. You have helped many people!
on March 8, 2013
i consider this book one of my every day books because i read it every day. the only thing i dont like about it is the author seems like an evangelist (promoting christ, Joyce Meyer, and Joel Osteen) in her writing.
on November 22, 2007
I am mid-way through this book, but I can already see results. It feels like I have a personal coach pushing me to do the things God has been leading me to do. Even prorastinators are led to act.