Why Ooma and not MagicJack? MJ is $20 a year for unlimited calls. MJ seems to do everything Ooma does for far less cost. And you can talk to any other MJ user anywhere in the world for free.
asked by Bic on July 13, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 answers
A
I have had a Magic Jack for a couple years as my main "home" number and an Ooma for about four months as my "home office" number. I have very good bandwidth on Fios. On a scale of 1 to 10, the voice and call quality on the Ooma is about a 9.5 and on the MJ is about a 2. Callers dialing in on the Magic Jack line hear a lot of noise and the voices sound like they are under water. The Ooma is flawless.
Amazon Customer answered on August 31, 2010
Comment | 30 of 30 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Magic Jack also puts ads on your computer. And there is no option to NOT have ads. When I found out about the ads I knew Magic Jack was not for me.
Garry A. Van Amburg answered on July 31, 2010
Comment | 24 of 25 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Big difference is MJ requires you th have a PC turned on so you can plug their device into a USB port. Ooma is directly hooked into your internet connection--so your phone is always on whether or not your PC is. BIG difference!
Mike S answered on July 13, 2010
Comment (1) | 20 of 25 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My OOMA connection sounds great. In fact it sounds better then my AT&T land line did by quite a bit! I got a Magic Jack a couple years ago and I've yet to ever plug it into my PC and Install the software. Now I don't need it and I'm quite glad I went with OOMA after all the Negatives I hear about the MJ.
J. Waldvogel answered on September 22, 2010
Comment | 12 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Being able to leave the PC off was a BIG advantage to me. When I go on Vacation I sure don't leave the PC on, Do YOU???
bobert answered on July 20, 2010
Comment | 16 of 20 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Having a pc turned on also means hassles when you upgrade your system, say, from XP to Vista or to Win7.
Philip K Pang answered on July 14, 2010
Comment | 8 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Don't want MJ software on my PC! No porting
jbwam answered on July 30, 2010
Comment | 9 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This is true, and I tried using MJ this way for a couple of months, but still no comparison to Ooma in my opinion. The main problem I had with MJ, besides having to dedicate a PC to use my phone, was the lack of message waiting indicator via MWI LED on my cordless handsets. Ooma provides this if you have newer model phones with built in MWI LEDs.
L. Shields answered on November 6, 2010
Comment | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've had MJ for 3 years off a 5 year contract. I can tell you that I have virtually stopped using MJ. There are no ads on MJ as some people say, but the quality sucks and there is zero customer service. You're supposed to be able to forward your calls, but it doesnt work and the worst part is that if you talk to someone for any length of time (generally between 15-20 minute) you get disconnected for no reason. It's truly garbage unless you just want to give it to your kid.
Lynchphile answered on October 17, 2013
Comment | 6 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I prefer Ooma because it is more reliable and has better call quality. Ooma was rated number one for home phone service the past three years by a leading consumer magazine. That same magazine rated Magic Jack as worse than Ooma. If you want to buy a new Ooma Telo for just $99.99 then copy this link:
www.ooma.com/refer-a-friend/?referral_code=NEK9052
Mark answered on July 25, 2013
Comments (3) | 7 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›