Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 31, 2012
I got this since it was cheap. As I started to read, I realized I had already read this and in fact, at the end of the meat of the whole "book", they mentioned that this was an excerp from another book. Bascially this short publication is an infomercial on Monty Roberts and his join up technique. The first 53% of it keeps pushing this, with a little story of what the author experienced with his horses. Okay, all of us horse owners can relate--we've seen and shared special moments with our horses. The rest of the book was just references to other sources, which is helpful if you are new into horses and looking for ways to learn.

*Side note--I have to comment on the whole "join up" thing. I've seen Monty Roberts and have done join up many times with horses. Pretty much all natural horseman do this in one form or another. You don't need to chase a horse around a round pen to join up. I've seen Monty and John Lyons chase horses to the point the horses are exhausted and they just give up. THIS is not relationship-building. I've done a join up in an open arena, in a pasture, even standing outside a stall of an abused horse that was so terrified of humans he wouldn't let them get close.(getting him in the stall was a major deal) The horse "joined up" with me standing outside his stall and I went in the stall with him after that. So if you are wanting to build a relationship with a horse, don't think a round pen is essential. I personally recommend Pat Parelli, have used his philosophy and techniques for years.

To conclude, about this "book", you can read it in about 15 minutes and it's really not a book, just so you know.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2012
People think they know everything about their horse... Lemme tell ya there is always something else to learn. It will help you have a better relationship with your horse if you understand certain things about them. This book offers insight that helps a lot.
on October 25, 2012
For anyone that rides or has a horse that they love..... this book is a must. It teaches you how important it is to have a relationship with your horse.
on June 10, 2012
This should be required reading for all of those "You'll do it because I SAID SO" horse people. If you read a horse book and the famous author starts out by saying that horses just want you to feed them, do what they want, then leave them alone, come back to this gentleman's books.
on November 17, 2015
Joe Camp is a proponent of Monty Roberts "Join up" techniques, and the director of the "Benji" films.
I have read some negative comments about Monty Roberts and his ranch, so, if you are a Monty hater, don't let that put you off. If you expect this book to be totally about "Join up" techniques, it's not that either.
This is a completely delightful book about Joe, his wife, his horses, his experiences training them, some "Benji" stories, and a story about a wild horse, and a native American woven into alternate chapters.
This is a story about a man and his horses, his love for them, and indeed all animals, his triumphs and some failures as well.
I was sad to get to the end of it, because I enjoyed this book so much.
on March 10, 2015
I wanted a horse for years. When I finally got one, I guess I thought wanting it was enough. Wrong. My horse and I were at odds from day one. One of us had to go, and no one wanted me, so I had to sell my beautiful new penny colored Lincoln. It broke my heart. If I had read Joe Camp's wonderful book, it would have been a different story. It makes sense -- Horse sense! Any horse and his or her owner can be trained with the "join-up" method. Read the book. You'll see!
on February 11, 2014
Starting with the Horse Whisperer, Monty Roberts, there are just more folks in the equestrian field affirming the relationship approach to working with horses effectively - without having to hogtie them and break them. But the lessons always carry over as to effective relationships with others - on the human level. These horsemanship principles are universal and bring great insights in working with the marginalized, too - as in ministry or social work. Highly recommend!
on July 17, 2013
This is an exert from the book The Soul of a Horse, go directly to The Soul because once you read this you'll want to read the whole book. Joe Camp really loves his horses.
on March 19, 2016
I thought I was getting a book, but it was more like a series of essays from another book. No complaint about the content, but I'd already read the book these essays came from, so it was a waste of money. I'll keep it on hand as a quick read for my horse-loving friends to spark their interest in a more natural way of keeping horses.
on December 7, 2013
It is always wonderful to encounter someone who deeply loves and wants to understand animals. Joe Camp is an accomplished dog trainer which gives him an advantage over a lot of horse owners who "don't have a clue" about effective training techniques. However, Joe Camp is also an accomplished self-promoter who has chosen 2 other big ego guys (Roberts and Parelli) to learn from and recommend to others. I guess we all resonate with people who have our own values and style so I guess this is not surprising. As others have said, horsemanship is a big subject full of ups and downs--and lot's of expensive lessons. Camp's titles are appealing. They seem to hold the promise of something I would like more of. But at $6 for a book with 39 pages of fluffy prose plus links to other sources I feel ripped off. I'm afraid to trust him and buy another of his books. What does that say about Relationship First?