4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, I'm not weird!
Published on December 4, 2002 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money
Published on January 15, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, I'm not weird!, December 4, 2002
Well, not for being an introvert, anyway... Like Balzano, I'm an officially tested, rather scarce commodity known as an INTP (1% of the population). I've had a lot of problem fitting into the wheeling-dealing crazy world of the extrovert, and networking is something I've looked on with absolute horror, almost like a deer caught in headlights. I'd rather be shot than experience the joy of a company get-together, and I'd far rather clean the toilet and scrub the bathtub than go out with the coworkers for a Friday evening drink.
This book does have some great hints for trying to gradually work your way into the wide world of small-talk, business connections, parties, public speaking, etc. It also pinpointed several problems I'd had over the years with a few of my more extroverted bosses.
It's not a very concrete book, but the hints do come in handy, even if going into a room filled with people fills me with as much joy as a trip to a proctologist. And it is unique, addressing networking from a perspective that only a fellow introvert would think of. Many of the other networking books I've read haven't even attempted to consider the special concerns that an introvert has, and that alone makes it well worth the cover price.
It's very reassuring to know that you're not alone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, January 15, 2003
By A Customer
This is the only book I have ever returned to Amazon. Take it from an INTJ -- it is totally devoid of useful, substantive suggestions on the claimed subject. It is the same old basic networking suggestions rehashed -- nominally adapted for introverts but as far as I could tell, not in any useful way. Its primary purpose seems to be as a promotional piece for the author's seminars, but given the quality of the book I doubt it will stir up much interest.
For a better read on the subject, try Thomas Murphy's book on selling for introverts or one of the many books on NLP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, helpful, easy to read, and practical book., October 25, 1999
This review is from: Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (Hardcover)
This book is eminently readable. For people who judge themselves and their "failings," this book helps them see themselves in realistic, yet positive terms. It enables self-acceptance while at the same time encourages and guides toward change. It is helpful and practical and presents exercises and directions that truly enable the introvert to make the best of their attributes and get more of what they want in the work world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Exercises But A Little Loss Of Focus, December 19, 2001
G. J Wiener (Westchester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Why Should Extroverts Make All The Money certainly has its merits. The exercises specifically the one describing problematic bosses are quite helpful. Balzano's basic analysis of introverts as the thinkers behind the organization is pretty accurate. The basic solution to getting introverts to open up is to discover your passion and go about it full blast.
Balzano should discuss more how introverts can overcome their fear of approaching others. Merely comparing it to a less desireable situation does not stand alone as the answer.
Also Balzano needs to realize that there are many people who are part extrovert and part introvert. On the 30 question test to discover if you are an introvert, I answered about 12 as an introvert. So what does that make me? More description is need there.
The analysis on the different types of extroverts and introverts are basically good. However, there are people who do fall in between these categories. A little more detail would ahve been nice.
At times the book loses focus on whether it wants to analyze introverts networking practices or just the general human nature. Each person has their own unique ways and Balzano does pidgeon hole the situation a bit too much. None the less, there are some good ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time, January 4, 2003
"creative64" (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Thank god that I only borrowed this book, and didn't have to actually buy the thing. There were a few quizzes, but it was mostly stories and comments on how networking for introverts will be addressed in the book. I made it three-quarters of the way through before I finally gave up. There was no meat to the book. I have gotten more out of magazine articles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old...and targeted at women..., April 18, 2004
By A Customer
As a male introvert trying to improve my networking skills, I found this book very disappointing. There is only one, fairly unhelpful, chapter about men near the end of the book.

This book pushed MBTI and it showed some case studies of where introverted women have failed, but it really didn't offer anything on networking that a google search wouldn't turn up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shy Extrovert Finds Himself, December 12, 1999
This review is from: Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (Hardcover)
Ms. Balzano clearly, concisely and with excellent examples lays out a roadmap for professionals (and non-professionals) to use in developing their careers. The book is a 'how to' in terms of developing oneself at their current job as well as going about finding a new one.
Most insightful is her analysis of personality types, where she identifies the shy extrovert. Knowing how to use one's personality in dealing with the challenges of career development where different personality types need different skills to be successful.
Her suggestions can be put to work today! Her methods have already born fruit for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, tongue in cheek, but serious all the same, March 23, 2014
Joe Z (Behind The Curve in Rock Hill) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (Hardcover)
I'm an introverted extrovert. I genuinely like people, but need my private space. Still I'm more of a people-puppy. My wife is an extroverted introvert. She would be a hermit, except her job requires her to interact with others. A whole lot has been written about alpha types, but we can't all be alpha types. Some of us just like to hang in the background, do our thing. And it's us, the introverts, who make a whole bunch of things happen. The alphas are busy beating their chests, pretty much doing nothing but making noise. We introverts are the real deal and, IMHO, should be compensated more fairly. But unless we stand up and beat our chests, well, it ain't gonna happen. Fun read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Only a few useful bits of information, September 23, 2012
The reason I am giving this book two stars was is I found the book very gender specific. Also the impression I got was that us introverts have to change for extroverts. I did finds bits of gold in the book with how an overly extrovert personality can cause problems in the work site but they were far and few between. A better book to read is the Introvert Advantage which highlights our gifts and better gives examples to cope with an extrovert world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Championing The Introvert, February 10, 2000
This review is from: Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? (Hardcover)
I am nearly finished with your book - what a wonderful set of ideas! Thank you many times over! I especially liked the passage in which you described your friend's reaction to your identification of yourself as an Introvert as if you had announced you had a life threatening illness!
The book is is extremely timely in my life - I decided last month that I want and need to go for a Ph.D. (in fall 2001) - and basically a Ph.D. in introversion (with interdisciplinary study in both developmental and personality psych - I'm researching programs all over the country - recommendations welcome). I want to work, as Dr. Zimbardo has, on separating introversion from shyness, and studying what introversion looks like at different phases of life. I have a Master's in Counseling and the fascination with personality, and introversion specifically, has grown out of observations in my work and own life - my work life is split 70/20/10 youth/family therapy primarily with elementary school aged children, corporate training - people skills for Engineers/Architects, and running a singing group. Thank you so much for your book - it is truly a gift. I had a great time reading it chuckled to myself several times (and a few "Amens!" burst forth - in my mind only - I was on a plane...).

Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money?
Why Should Extroverts Make All the Money? by Frederica J. Balzano (Hardcover - June 1999)
Used & New from: $1.97