Why Startups Fail: And How Yours Can Succeed Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
It's quite different from lots of other books covering similar topics. It's organized as a collection of 1-2 page articles or short case studies on what not to do when running a startup.
I've been working in the tech industry for over a decade, including a couple of successful Silicon Valley startups, and already encountered with most of the things mentioned in the book: lack of focus, when to pivot, avoiding small markets, product-market fit, turnover, lack of capital, etc. But still, it's convenient to have all that material available in a concise, structured, and easy-to-reference form.
If you dream of starting a tech/web company and getting rich, your odds are about the same as joining a band and hoping to be a rock star: almost zero, statistically speaking.
Second, Mr. Feinleib writes with condescension about "lifestyle businesses"—but VC firms are the biggest lifestyle businesses of all! VCs are of the "do as I say, not as I do" school. And based on the study just referenced, most entrepreneurs would be wiser choosing proven lifestyle businesses over VC-backed lottery tickets.
But overall it's a good book and worth buying. But if you're considering the startup life, be warned.
* The results of the 20-year study, written in 2010 by Hall and Woodward, can be found here: http://web.stanford.edu/~rehall/Hall-Woodward%20on%20entrepreneurship.pdf
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This book could have been shortened to a few pages of bullet points. The author expects that you want to create the next billion dollar company and considers you less of an... Read morePublished on August 10, 2013 by C. Schneider
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Business & Money > Management & Leadership > Management Science
- Books > Business & Money > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > Entrepreneurship
- Books > Business & Money > Small Business & Entrepreneurship > New Business Enterprises
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Entrepreneurship & Small Business > Entrepreneurship > Startups
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Entrepreneurship & Small Business > Small Business
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Entrepreneurship & Small Business > Starting a Business
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Management & Leadership > Management Science