4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars... Highly Recommended, and not just for Christians
Published on October 20, 2004 by Paul Allaer

3.0 out of 5 stars Searching for new thoughts
Rather simplistic in thoughts. Not very many new or unusual ideas or thoughts presented. Does provide some inspiration and comfort.
Published 19 months ago by Carsie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars... Highly Recommended, and not just for Christians, October 20, 2004
At a recent Sunday sermon, the minister in our church spoke to us again about why bad things happen, in the context of "Avoiding the Ultimate Disaster" and Luke 13:1-9. As if by coincidence, a few days later I saw this book, and I picked it up. It's one of the most common questions that I hear raised by those people that aren't religious: why does God let bad things happen, why doesn't he do something about (fill in the blank/take your pick of the latest world disaster). It is indeed a perplex question, but one that has an answer.

In a short amount of space (115 pages), Anne Lotz not only explains why, but gives guidance on how to deal with the issues of suffering and pain ("trust in God" being the key factor). Very helpful is that the author writes about these complex issues in very plain-spoken English. Most importantly, this book provides a message of hope, namely that even though this is far from a perfect world (as the result of humanity having received the gift of choice, which inevitably includes the freedom of bad choices by many), there is HOPE, as long as one trusts in God. Excellent book, and highly recommended for everyone, not just Christians.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reminder to trust God's heart when we can't see His hand., January 2, 2006
Tracy D. Cook (Birmingham, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
I became acquainted with Anne Graham Lotz's book only a few weeks ago when a guest speaker at my church presented a message entitled "Why?" I was truly blessed by it and it came at a time of great distress in my life that has recently taken place (I was forced to leave my job after only being there for three weeks and not really getting to do the job; needless to say, it created a great deal of financial and emotional distress for me and my wife). I happened to see her book in the local library and chose to check it out. To my pleasant surprise, I learned that this was the inspiration behind the message I heard in church.

Anne takes the story of Lazarus in John 11, and gently gleans from the story comforting and encouraging reminders of God's love, care and providence in any difficult situation. Readers of the book will appreciate that she doesn't come across with cliches or the attitude of knowing everythng that there is to know about having faith in the midst of trouble (as evidenced in her book, many of the lessons came as a result of her own personal troubles). Anne's creative way of presenting the material will be evident as the reader reads her book. If there is a friend or loved one who is going through their own Lazarus experience, and like Mary and Martha, are wondering "Why is this happening?" , this book is a excellent resource. When we can't understand why, we can trust God.

4.0 out of 5 stars "When You Need to Understand the Mind of God...", May 2, 2004
By A Customer
What a great title for a book which seeks to answer the question we all ask!
This book presents, in a user-friendly way, Bible theology on why bad things happen to good people. The author puts her heart and soul into this discussion, and, with John 11 as the focus, never strays from what God would have us learn.
While I enjoyed the format Lotz used for the work--and feel the principles addressed were theologically sound, to me the work was a bit limited. The same genre of discussion on understanding the mind of God--plus numerous other such topics (suffering, integrity, spirituality and gifts, etc.) are much more broadly discussed in earlier works such as "Where is God When It Hurts", and particularly "With Joseph in the University of Adversity" (my favorite--IF you can get your hands on it).
All in all, Lotz is a warm and capable writer who knows her stuff. There is little to fault in this work, and perhaps I was looking for a bit more 'meat and potatoes', while I was served precisely what was advertised. RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read for Those Times You Do Not Understand God, June 23, 2007
"Why?" is a great read for anyone going through a difficult time when things do not make sense and it appears that God has turned His back on you.

The book is around 133 pages long and contains about 13 chapters that are 10 pages each. Each chapter asks a question that starts with the word "Why?" and focuses on a different aspect of trying to make sense of things that do not make sense.

Lotz' main point is that no matter what is happening to you, you can trust in God and His goodness and love for you.

Read for good encouragement. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding Hope, December 24, 2007
This review is from: Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Paperback)
For anyone walking through a difficult time in life, Anne G. Lotz thoughts and insights offer hope. She does not give formula answers, but points us to God and to a practical new view of how He is still with us, still in control, and why we can trust Him. Because of the way this book affected me, I have given it as a gift to many a hurting friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why? by Anne Lotz, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Paperback)
Excellent book that addresses why God allows various things to happen to us. Easy to read but big on scripture and life changing concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to always have near, August 29, 2008
Bonnie Murphy (Meadville, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Paperback)
After our granddaughter died, I could not reconcile myself to the loss. I read the Bible and prayed, but needed someone to try to explain. This book was like a daily explanation and I kept it by my bed to read every day. It is God's way of saying that He has the answers, so we can get on with our lives knowing everything will be revealed in His time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help and comfort.., September 6, 2006
I recently experienced a traumatic event in my life. My boyfriend was involved in a car accident and is in the hospital. He has just been moved to rehab but it is going to be a long road to recovery. My friend gave me this book as a gift. I have not finished it but it has served as a great comfort. I've never really turned to faith until now. Anne Graham Lotz has the power to help you understand WHY things happen and that God has a greater plan than you can ever imagine. Great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars better understanding of God's purpose, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Paperback)
i bought this book, to use in our bible study group, and it has already , just after a few chapters, filled our
expectations, as it has ministered to all the ladies, and how God's purpose is being worked out in their lives,
and how to just trust God when we don't understand.....

thank you Amazon for having this book available, and for sending so quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for those who are hurting, August 6, 2009
C. J. Moffett (Aurora, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Paperback)
This is the best book I have ever purchased that is: short; easy to read and understand; and immediately helpful to those who are hurting. I have bought more than 10 of these books and given it to other people who are suffering in one way or another. It has proven to be a great witnessing tool as some have dedicated their lives to the Lord after reading the book. I believe this book should be in every doctors' office - what a comfort it would be to those who receive unexpected and unpleasant news.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand
Why?: Trusting God When You Don't Understand by Anne Graham Lotz (Paperback - May 6, 2005)
$10.99 $8.38