4.0 out of 5 stars First past the post
Despite her seventh place finish on American Idol Season 7, Cook proves to be the fastest to the finish line with this album of mostly new material. Obviously there aren't any prizes for guessing that this is a country album, and it's a pretty good one, featuring songs written by a variety of talented songwriters including Carrie Underwood.

Also predictable is...
Published on September 22, 2008 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Cook Has More "Waiting" to Do
Prime Cuts: 15 Minutes of Shame, Plant the Seeds, Baby Believe

Published on September 16, 2008 by Timothy Yap

4.0 out of 5 stars First past the post, September 22, 2008
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)

Also predictable is the inclusion of her cover of Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA", the song she sang during "Year they were born" week on American Idol. The first single is "15 Minutes of Shame", a country-pop track where she promises to (but never actually does) reveal the lies and dirty deeds of a guy whom she names in a dramatic portion of the song.

If I had to name any faults in this album, I'd say firstly that it's too short, and secondly a number of the songs are so similar that they don't stand out, and you probably won't remember them in a few months.

Songs you WILL remember are the first single, the title track, "Hoping to Find" (the fourth and best track on the album) and "Not Tonight" (the track co-written by Carrie Underwood). Also good is "I Think Too Much" which adds a nice touch of humor to the album.

Recommended for fans of country music and American Idol

Amanda Richards, September 22, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cooking, September 17, 2008
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
This is a very strong debut from Kristy. Good music that is very listenable and "natural" - it doesn't sound like a rip off of anybody else or like its trying to fit in any mold. There's no overproduction. Kristy's voice is good for this music and handles ballads and faster, spunkier stuff equally well. Best songs are 15 Minutes of Shame and I Think Too Much. They've got good melodies and fun attitude. She didn't win Idol but this album's a winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars They got it right..., September 16, 2008
HuskerDog (The Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Wait (MP3 Music)
I have to admit, I wasn't the biggest Kristy Lee Cook fan when watching "American Idol", and wasn't sure she had what it took to go anywhere after the show. But the producers and songwriters behind "Why Wait" definitely got it right...they set her up for the most success possible. Confining her to the Country genre, with a touch of pop crossover thrown in on some songs, keeping the songs in her vocal range...it works! Much better than I could have possibly imagined. Sure, she's far from being a Carrie Underwood or Faith Hill, and I'm not sure if she'll be able to pull these songs off when she sings live...but as far as this album goes, she did it!
I'm not going to make any bold predictions on how much it will sell, but there are at least 3 or 4 songs on here that have potential to do well on the Country charts, and there doesn't appear to be a single 'bad' track on the record...it also definitely doesn't hurt to end with her rendition of "God Bless America". That was her shining moment on "Idol".

4.0 out of 5 stars suprised, June 18, 2009
MKB (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
this is a refreshing surprise. kristy has a lovely, clear and strong voice. hope she gets chance to make another, more full album. while not on the same level as carrie underwood, she far far surpasses kelly pickler both in terms of material and quality of voice! cute cover art also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cook Has More "Waiting" to Do, September 16, 2008
Prime Cuts: 15 Minutes of Shame, Plant the Seeds, Baby Believe

Perseverance certainly bears fruitful dividends. After selling her barrel horse in order to travel to Philadelphia to audition for American Idol, Cook persisted in chasing her dreams. Though she was booted out as the 7th finalist, she was finally rewarded with a recording contract with the prestigious Arista Nashville Records. Ironically entitled "Why Wait," this is her first major output. And thanks to producer Brett James, Cook is able to flex some of her industry muscle with a hefty input from Nashville's most elite writers including Cadillac Sky's Bryant Simpson, label mate and fellow Idol alum Carrie Underwood, Canadian songstress Victoria Banks, and Taylor Swift's helmsman Nathan Chapman. Commensurate with Cook's expressive booming vocals, this is polished pop-country effort that pitches on the great big sounds that rock stadiums. Vocally, Cook is a kinetic ball of energy right from the get-go; never for a moment on this 10-song disc does her verve falter. Not since Carrie Underwood has anyone been so intricately involved in every note on this record: this Oregon native sings as if her life depends on each syllable.

Getting the fiery ball of energy rolling is the lead single "15 Minutes of Shame." A biting rant on her no good fellow, "15 Minutes of Shame" is latent with the potential to be a juicy gossip-laden sonic diatribe. Unfortunately, the title promises more than it delivers, when its lyrics only loiter generically without any tantalizing details. Cook continues to indulge in some contemporary pop-country material with the guitar-driven "Hoping to Find," which finds a starry-eyed Cook waiting to be struck again by love's lightning. The quiet intro, gradual crescendo and soaring vocals, all constitute to what makes "Baby Believe" (a Jamie O'Neal co-write) a tasty big ballad: the type that American Idol wannabes would wish they could belt. And Cook delivers to perfection here. While the Biblically informed "Plant the Seeds," a prayerful plea to surrender to God's sovereign ways, is Cook at her personal best.

God and patriotism are brought together in Lee Greenwood's classic "God Bless the USA"-- a track Cook performed at the American Idol. Unfortunately, unlike Greenwood's version, the cluttered backings with Cook's wooden interpretation just make the shaft of comparisons lean in favor towards Greenwood's original. With a nod to a more sentimental direction is "Like My Mother Does." Unfortunately such a moving tale requires a more delicate touch. Cook's all out unsubtle approach somehow destroys the song's rich sentiments. Perhaps due to her inexperience, Cook has yet to learn that sometimes less is more; there are times whispers are louder than shouts. If it were not for being a Carrie Underwood's co-write, "Not Tonight" suffers from the anonymity of countless pop-country outings out there.

The major flaw of "Why Wait" is that it's a busy little record. Brett James (who also produced Jessica Simpson's country offering) seems use only a template for all the tracks here. Hence, there's a sameness to all these tracks here. Nevertheless, the pride of "Why Wait" is Cook's engaging vocals and her larger than life passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Born to Sing Country, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
"Why Wait" is the first album release from an American Idol Season 7 finalist. Kristy Lee Cook was born to sing country. She is among a new crop of all-American girl singers ala Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. She was raised in a log cabin and holds true to the values of home, God and country. This 10 song cd is strong presentation of both her vocal talents and country roots. 15 Minutes of Shame, the flagship song and first single reintroduces us to the KLC we knew from Idol: fearless, persistent and calculating with a sense of humor. Cook has a solid musical handle on each song despite having recorded the entire album in four days. Her voice is vibrant and youthful yet capable of the soaring huge notes. She sings from the heart on every offering...and thus, brings home spun relateability to each song. When she sings Like My Mother Does, and Homesick there is no doubting her love for family. Plant the Seed, among the strongest songs and an early fan favorite, honors those who have chosen the everyman essential careers ( the teacher, the farmer) and reminds us to do what we can and let God do the rest. Not Tonight, a song co-written by Carrie Underwood (and a possible contender for a single), Hoping to Find, and Baby Believe prove to be more than just suitable album tracks. In the latter two, Cook vocally shows a tender, more emotional side. I Think Too Much is a humorous look at how teenage girls (and older) tend to second guess just the right thing to wear, eat, say, do in a new relationship. And it's easily a candidate for a single as is the title track, Why Wait.

This is Kristy's first official album, though a compilation of studio and live tracks was released a couple of years ago. A failed recording contract could not keep this persistent young artist from successfully making another go of it through American Idol.

On Idol, Kristy Lee Cook sang God Bless the USA as any all-American girl would...with sincere pride and respect. Included as the final track on this album, it is still a moving, if slightly over produced piece. The album as a whole does suffer from occasional over produced arrangements which threaten to compete with Cook's vocals. But again, this is Kristy Lee Cook, and it will take a whole lot more than a few misplaced guitar licks to hold her back this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A song for everyone, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
My opinion differs from the first reviewer. I think this album is a great debut by Kristy Lee Cook. There are several songs on the CD worthy of radio play. Like My Mother Does is worth the price of the CD in itself. It's a very emotional tribute to child and mother where Kristy shows her vocal range. If a song can make me cry (like this one does), it's an awesome song. Baby Believe is the slowest song on the album with a bit of a bluesy/70s sound. Plant the Seed is a touching song about our place in this world and blossoming from where we are at. I Think Too Much is the funnest song on the album, both melody and lyrically. I think we all think too much and could really relate to this lil tune. Homesick is a song I like to think explains Kristy. A "roots" song, if you will, in her journey to get to where she is, while remembering where she came from. God Bless the USA is a beautiful remake of Lee Greenwood's hit song. The arrangement with violins playing in the background make for a more contemporary sound. Overall I give huge kudos to Kristy for a job well done on this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Former AMERICAN IDOL Contestant Goes for Broke!, November 7, 2008
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
Not entirely a debut album for Kristy Lee Cook, WHY WAIT bursts out of the gate with some terrific pop/country performances here. However, the chief problem with pop/country music is that, as a genre, it tries very hard to sound like pop/country music. As a result, there's a dangerous element of 'sameness' to it which I think many reviewers pick up on. Performers tend to sound alike, but Cook -- in her spirited youth -- does add some nice touches to distinguish herself from other similarly talented singers here; let's hope she keeps pushing that envelope in the future!

15 MINUTES OF SHAME (5 out ot 5):
Every guy's great fear ... set to music! Quite possibly the most fun a woman has had publicly dissing a man ("Jason!") in a country song this year. Playful. Gotta luv it!

WHY WAIT (5 out of 5)
Sly, sexy, and seductive. "I'd rather be in a long slow kiss than to be holdin' my breath like this." Throwing caution to the wind brings out the best in Kristy Lee. Reminds me a bit of Jo Dee Messina. Wonderfully big refrain. Has the jazziness of a big radio hit.

LIKE MY MOTHER DOES (4 out of 5)
To be honest, the song doesn't mean a whole lot to me personally, but I think Kristy's vocals are absolutely terrific on the track. Reminds me of early Martina McBride's work.

Hoping to Find (2.5 OUT OF 5)
Not a bad song, just a song. Filler track. Any country singer could do this, so there's much better stuff here to explore here.

BABY BELIEVE (3 out of 5)
Feels like an obligatory performance of the obligatory tear-jerker. Not a performance big enough to elevate the song to something more than what it is: just another song.

Not Tonight (2.5 out of 5)
Settles into a sense of sameness to the last track, though it's a bit more up tempo.

Plant the Seed (4 out of 5)
A wonderful mix of music and message. This is the type of song country performers do, and Cook puts a lot of herself into this performance. One of my personal favorite tracks here.

I Think Too Much (4 out of 5)
I don't doubt that there are women who think like this out there. Fun track poking fun at the decidedly female to stay in your head too much.

Homesick (2.5 OUT OF 5)
Nothing here to really lift itself out from any other track on any other pop/country album. Not a bad track, just nothing fresh, new, or different. Filler. That's about it.

God Bless the USA (4 out of 5)
Covering the Lee Greenwood hit, Kristy puts a proud woman stamp on the project, rockified a bit too much for my tastes, but the vocals are spot on if not a bit too predictable. I gave her major props for her patriotism, though, b/c I've always loved this song.

I think some of these songs could've sounded better if they had been stripped back a bit -- lose some of the instrumentation -- with the vocals a bit more prominent (with the only exception here being "God Bless the USA"). It seems that sometimes record producers -- especially with younger performers with great range -- there's a tendency to over-modulate the music; when this happens, the voice blends in a bit too much with the music, for my tastes, and you lose an element of rawness that can add greater character to vocal range. It's an acquired taste, and it'll come in time ... but WHY WAIT?

5.0 out of 5 stars I THINK THE WHOLE CD IS GREAT, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Why Wait (MP3 Music)
I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of hers when she was on AI...but I thought she was good and pretty. But I love this CD. I happend to like all of the songs and though some may say they all sound alike but I don't think so. I think she is a very good singer with good songs. I think if you like country you'll like this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was Hoping To Find, September 16, 2008
Phill (Highlands Ranch, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Why Wait (Audio CD)
There is a song for everyone on this album, and Kristy Lee Cook's vocals are amazing throughout. Every song on the album has a message, and Kristy has such a unique voice and style, that each one is delivered with a truthfulness that is rarely heard in today's music world. Not one song on this album disappointed me.
Of course I have my favorites, so I will list the songs in that regard.
"Hoping To Find" paints a vivid picture of someone patiently hoping to find love, but impatiently waiting for love to find her. The melody in the chorus of this song runs so smooth and the lyrics are so heart felt. This is the perfect song for her vocally.
"15 Minutes of Shame" is a song that can be related to almost any situation so long as the listener has a tiny bit of imagination. She sings it with a tone in her voice that lets the listener know she is not kidding around. I could imagine some guy sitting in rush hour traffic minding his own business while enjoying this song, not even knowing the song is indeed about him the whole time...and then "bam", she says his name at the end of the song. But that's only one scenario of countless others that could work with this song.
"Baby Believe" is a moving ballad about starting over in a relationship gone wrong that shows off Kristy's beautiful lower tones in her voice. I believe she has the perfect voice to sing ballads. I agree with a previous review that said it has a 70's feel to it.
"Like My Mother Does" is Kristy Lee's vocal masterpiece on the album in my opinion. I love how she delivers the final chorus, and the last line ties the whole song together. This song truly does reveal an unconditional love for a person who makes each one of us who and what we are. A feeling of melancholy washes over me every time I hear this song.
"Plant The Seed" has religious undertones and to me is about how each one of us has the ability to make someone else's life better, and God has a plan for all of us. I love the melody in the chorus, and Kristy's higher tone to her voice in the final chorus.
"I Think Too Much" is a clever song that shows a fun side of Kristy, and I love the style in her voice she uses to sing this song. I laugh in a good way when I listen to the lyrics, but they reveal that many of our actions in life are well thought out before hand...maybe a little too well in some cases.
"God Bless the USA" is an updated version of the Lee Greenwood classic, and she makes it her own. I love this version of the song the best because of the arrangement and the violins.
"Not Tonight" is a fun little song about planning to leave someone someday, just not at this moment. Kristy truly does have an outstanding singing voice and style that anyone can relate to, and this song proves it.
"Homesick" is a song that many of us have been through at one time of our lives or another. We take pieces of others belongings with us to remind us of them when they are not with us. She states in the song how she is already homesick, and it hasn't even been 10 miles yet. The hardest part of leaving home is the beginning, but knowing that someone will always be there for you when you need them, and knowing that you can return home with open arms at any time makes it bearable. That's the message I take from this song.
"Why Wait" is a well polished upbeat song and she delivers it well with a sense of urgency...Afterall, Why Wait to buy this album?

ARRAY(0x958fd66c)

Why Wait
Why Wait by Kristy Lee Cook (Audio CD - 2008)