Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Marvel's The Avengers forum

Why are the Blu-Ray covers so terrible?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 2:52:44 PM PDT
The Squirrel says:
It's a strange beast, home video packaging. The standard DVD cover has a great split-six graphic with each hero getting a section (sans Black Widow and Hawkeye, who are partnered in the final box).
The four-disc version is a smaller-sized version of the film's theatrical poster. Stylish, gets the whole main cast in.
And then comes the DVD/Blu-Ray 2 packs, both with the same image (in different border covers)--a horrible, slapped-together Photoshop of Chris Evans's face obscured by some bizarre "zoom!" hand gesture (faceguard on), while Downey Jr. stares at the viewer, helmet completely missing, lit very brightly. Meanwhile a graphic of CG Hulk and what was likely an alternate theatrical image of Hemsworth as Thor, shadowy and gleaming.
Black Widow? Hawkeye? Fury? All missing.
It's as if Disney/Marvel wants you to avoid buying these two covers in favor of a standard DVD or super-deluxe 4-disc set. The biggest sales are likely to come from the 2-disc sets, so why even screw with making up a cover like this?
It reeks of amateurism. Makes you want to buy it and print out a copy of the theatrical poster and stick it over it so you don't have to look at this horrid design ever again.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:16:49 AM PDT
I just hate the fact that DVD's have been dummed down so extremely bad that it feels like the DVD versions of movies nowadays shouldn't be more than five bucks anywhere. I only buy DVD's as I've always felt that Blu-Ray is a horrible gimmick just to make even more money off of customers. Also have never bought a Blu-Ray cause I don't wanna transition what I've already created as a collection. I own over 750 DVD's including some rare ones. The DVD version of this movie does have a nice cover art but why no nice cardboard slipcover like the other three variations of DVD/Blu-Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 11:16:39 AM PST
Basically it's because they (whoever they are) seems to be trying to make the Dvd extinct. You also see this with Blu-rays having more extensive features not found on Dvd's. Basically if you are a true movie fan and you want to know more about the films you like, Blu-ray has now become the default whether you care about the format or not. The only good thing is that now the cost of BD about the same as Dvd's were originally when they came out. I'm just curious as to what happens with the next new format starts to appear on the horizon, are we going to have to re-purchase our entire collections once more?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 4:39:15 PM PST
Since my last post i have over 800 dvds now. The next format and new tvs are already coming out. Glad i never started a blu ray transition. Just go to wikipedia and lool up ultra high definition. The major electronics giants are starting to ship them out and man are they expensive. Blu ray is already going to be obsolete basically!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 5:20:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2013 5:14:19 AM PDT
You've got a few years to go, though probably not nearly as many years as it took VHS to become affordable, and even less than it took Dvd's to catch on. Thing is a lot of people have just recently bought new HD televisions to get the most out of the switch from analog, I don't see them going out to buy completely new equipment this soon. But when you think about it, except for something similar to a holo-deck, how much definition do you actually need to enjoy a good film? I wish filmmakers would start putting more emphasis on screenwriting as they do on presentation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2015 3:00:51 PM PDT
Allyn Drew says:
Simply as a note of information: The difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray Disc is absolutely compelling! Also watching a Movie on a Blu-ray Disc vs DVD: COMPELLING! A DVD holds only 7-10 GB of information and most movies far exceed that. A movie Producer cannot fit all the information onto a DVD Disc, so obviously something will be missing and that would be your splendid Audio in all the action sequences. A Blu-ray Disc will hold 50 GB of information, which simply means the Movie Producer/Director can now put ALL the information a Disc. Translation: MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, better Audio because all the information is there! And the Surround Sound affects are MARVELOUS! Just like sitting in a Movie theater! And that, my friend is the difference between Blu-ray & DVD...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Marvel's The Avengers
Marvel's The Avengers by Robert Downey Jr. (DVD - 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (11,205)