Why aren't the extra scenes edited in?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 18, 2012 10:41:57 AM PDT
David Kahoun says:
I know it is the TV version, but I really think they could have taken a couple of hours and put the scenes from the TV version into the original version to make a complete version. If I'm gonna watch the original Halloween I watch the DVD that has all the scenes in it. I don't want to watch a TV version with the curse words and nudity and blood cut out, I want to see it all.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 11:23:31 PM PDT
A. You says:
The new Halloween II Collector's Edition features the TV cut of the film which has the scenes added.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 8:54:29 AM PDT
David Kahoun says:
In one of the reviews it says that the TV cut is included, but it is just that, the TV cut with the curse words, nudity and blood all cut out. I have a Special Edition 2 Disc version of the original Halloween which includes the TV version, but with all the original movie, nothing cut out. I was hoping to get an uncut movie of Halloween II with the extra scenes. It's very jarring to watch a movie and know what the next line is and then another word is used instead of a curse word. Not a big deal, but I just wish it would be uncut.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 11:08:53 AM PDT
Mickey Ryan says:
If I remember correctly, the TV version contained scenes with young Michael in the hospital, staring blankly into space while Dr. Loomis talks to him. I also recall young Lori meeting him there too. I always wondered why that wasn't in the theatrical.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 8:27:39 PM PDT
David Kahoun says:
I believe the scenes with young Laurie are a dream/flashback that Laurie is having while in a drug haze, I think there is also a scene where Laurie's Mother is hanging up sheets or something on the clothesline and saying "I'm not your Mother."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:05:19 PM PST
G. Garner says:
I do not know if they always show the same version of Halloween 2 on television or not. But the one I DID see on tv was butchered beyond recognition. Like I said, perhaps there is more than one version that has aired on tv at one time or another. But the one I saw struck me as laughable.

For example, the scene with the security guard is absolutely ruined. In the original theatrical version, you don't see Myers 'til he springs out from behind the door and kills the guy with the hammer. In the 'tv' version, you see all sorts of mixed up shots of Michael walking, presumably as he approaches the hapless guard. This ruins the tension that was built in the original scene, as the guard looked around the darkened storage facility.

The beginning is utterly ruined, as well. They mix it all up. It used to begin with Loomis' classic line,'You don't know what death is!' and then you'd get the title sequence with the pumpkin. That's all out of order in the tv version, and spoils what had been one of the greatest openings in horror history.

I hate the tv version of Halloween 2.

Oddly, I much prefer the tv version of the original Halloween. It's just the basic film, with a couple of extra scenes inserted, and I found them beneficial to the overall movie. But part 2 was done very differently, and I could never see the point. Some parts almost seem as if they might have been cut together by somebody who hated the movie, and wanted to make it look as bad as possible.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 6:52:25 AM PST
David Kahoun says:
They also changed the part where Jimmy is looking for Mrs. Alves and finds her strapped to the gurney with all her blood drained out and then he slips on the blood, knocking himself out. In the TV version it doesn 't show Jimmy looking around until the end and it goes back and forth between him looking around and Laurie and Loomis turning on all the oxygen tanks and then the explosion which is what knocks Jimmy out. It is never explained what happened to Mrs. Alves. I love having Halloween II on Blu-ray and I love the extras included, but this TV cut is terrible. It looks terrible in full-screen. I'll just stick to the original cut and watch the extra scenes after. Nice to have the TV cut though just in case I'm in the mood for an irritating movie experience.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:55:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 10:56:59 PM PST
R. Christman says:
When the original 'Halloween' was filmed they had to go back and reshoot some extra scenes later on to make up for all the violence and nudity removed for the broadcast premiere on NBC in 1980 and since Carpenter and company were shooting part 2 in 1980 it was very convenient to do and Carpenter was and still is fond of shooting his films in widescreen format so it was very easy to branch the scenes in with the theatrical cut and release an "extended version" on DVD. But the "tv version" scenes were shot after the fact so to me it's not the way the movie was intended to be watched. Also when they were filming part two they also purposely shot a "tv version" at the same time so the theatrical is the way to go. Besides the tv version is in fullscreen and there might not be a widescreen version of the cut scenes to do just that. You'd have a very uneven-looking film if done that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 8:51:12 PM PST
Thomas says:
I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with you absolutely regarding the mixed up H2 tv version as well as how well done the H1 edited for tv scenes were done. I have seen the tv version of H2 many times and the way they mixed in the same shots to fill the time that the violence and nudity would have taken was ham fisted and clumsy. Amateurish editing to be sure but still interesting to watch though.

Spot on review g garner
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jun 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Halloween II (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray / DVD]
Halloween II (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray / DVD] by Jamie Lee Curtis (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (670)