Why does the price change from day to day??? I've had the ipod touch 8gb in my cart while i shop around for awhile and i've noticed that they keep changing the price. The most common prices i've noticed are 218 and 212. However i have seen it on here sold BY AMAZON for 227.98. and yesterday it was 212.95, now its 218.93. How come?
asked by David Burnia on April 8, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 106 answers
A
votes
Yes its something strange that happens only at Amazon - but then, instead of feeling bad about it - turn it to your complete advantage ! Here is how - go to the product page on amazon, that you intend to purchase - note down its ASIN # (given below technical details, usually) then go to www.camelcamelcamel.com and input that number there - you will get the price movement for that item on amazon for upto 1 year.

If you note that amazon has sold that item at a substantially lower price than its current price, create a price drop alert for yourself at camel site. If the price has been constant for a while, then you could simply go ahead and purchase the item at the current price. I have saved myself a bunch of money this way - specially on things that i need, but not urgently enough that i cannot wait a few days. I once saw an Omega Watch drop from $1900 to 1200 for two days :)

Happy Shopping. BTW - if you ordered something and its still in the shipping process ( i.e. you havent still received it, then you can call up amazon customer service and they will reduce the price for you to match the lowered price) - hope this helps.
Sanjay Nayar answered on August 4, 2011

A
votes
Yes, they change everyday but they seem to change every hour too. I bought a product and they lowered the price in seconds, canceled it, bought it again and they lowered it again. This was happening every hour. The price is still going up and down and I've been tracking it all day.
I ended up buying the product and the price dropped by $14 the next day..not happy!!
Same thing happened last week, I bought something and the price dropped as soon as I bought it, it's ridiculous.
Tara Summers answered on January 26, 2011

A
votes
The prices change based on Amazon's perception of how much you will pay:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/24/ramasastry.website.prices/
B. Cohen answered on May 9, 2009

A
votes
Yes, I contacted Amazon regarding a huge price drop on a DVD I bought. They offer no price protection. You buy it, and unless you return it and pay for the shipment and make a new order at the lower price, you own it at that price. This is REALLY aggravating. I felt as if I had been stupid and had let myself be ripped off. Now I see new DVD's at high prices and, since I know they will drop in price suddenly to half that amount or less, I won't buy them until they do.

Amazon is just training customers to be suspicious and wait...or not buy at all. I don't see the benefit of this kind of activity. This is a little old but I can imagine that this is even more sophisticated since they have so much more data on buying patterns for individuals.

"Friday, 8 September, 2000, 17:07 GMT 18:07 UK
Amazon's old customers 'pay more' BBC News"

I buy tons of things on Amazon but I now have a very bad feeling and will buy less in the future. Hey, maybe it is time to return to the old brick and mortar. They have price protection at least.
OftenBuysUs answered on May 14, 2011

A
votes
I see this happening with books, which Amazon very likely sells directly, and they are books with no appreciable demand, like, "principles of magenetohydrodynamics". It has been sitting in my cart for a while now. The price is surely not based on demand or latest sale for the book.

If you are waiting for the price to go down in your cart, then they are manipulating you to buy it by lowering the price, like now all of a sudden it is a great deal. Or they show you that there is only 1 or 2 left. It is kind of like false shortage. If they raise the price they may be trying to get you to panic and buy it before it goes up further, or before they run out.

After it sits in your cart for a while and it fluctuates randomly up and down by cents or dollars, they are making their behavior a little too obvious.

In the case of very uncommon books is highly unlikely to be based on some "market". It is simply manipulation. Grrrrrrrr. The whole thing is turning me off to Amazon. Somebody pointed out they don't offer price protection - that is completely bogus. This is airline seat pricing. Fluctuates constantly (but it isn't quite so obvious) as they are trying to fill the seats, with no price protection.

Free market at work? I don't think so. There are very few actually free markets, anyway, but that's a different discussion.

Amazon used to be all about great service and treating their customers well. Sigh.
JohnDiego answered on May 14, 2011

A
votes
Yes, I can see that this is likely what is happening. When customers see it though it completely destroys the credibility of the site. Why would Amazon want to do something like that after spending years building its image?

I am really suspicious now and, considering that Amazon does not even offer price protection, will likely spend much more time figuring out the 'right' price for something.
OftenBuysUs answered on February 28, 2011

A
votes
for example from my cart:

Please note that the price of Bosch 426A ICON Wiper Blade - 26" has increased from $21.72 to $21.73 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

what is the point of increasing an item by 1 cent? or lowering it by 1 cent?
Mr. Robert Hnasko answered on April 27, 2011

A
votes
I have seen Amazon change DVD prices by reducing them by 50% and then inexplicably changing them again. They have done that with book prices where something will go from $10 to $15 within a few hours. I no longer trust their prices. I have no idea why they are doing this.
OftenBuysUs answered on February 28, 2011

A
votes
I disagree that this is based only on 3rd party sellers... Because I have been watching a product that appears to change (sold by Amazon.com, important to this discussion and for warranty purposes) on certain weekdays and on holiday weekends to it's lowest, highest on other weekends. Just my 2 cents.
afdarlington answered on September 25, 2009

A
votes
I just want to say that I'm annoyed also. I wanted to purchase this netbook for 252 and change, then 3 days later it rose to 299 back to what it was marked at, a few cents less. I wish I had ordered it that first time I saw it but I wanted my brother to look at the specs. Well I guess I'll just save my money now for something else. . .
Rebecca answered on July 25, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   Next ›