Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2006 11:18:31 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2006 7:34:07 AM PDT
D. Brooks says:
You are not going to see this movie on HD-DVD. You will only see it on Blu-ray when it happens. Disney is backing Blu-ray exclusively. Just thought I'd give you notice on that. If you're into buying these new formats, I'd suggest these websites for doing research on studio support, CE company support, etc. www.blu-raydisk.com, www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com, www.blu-ray.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2006 9:34:37 PM PST
Just a quick clarification. What Mr. Brooks meant was "You are not going to see this movie on HD-DVD" unless HD-DVD becomes the standard. Currently, certain studios are exclusively backing one or the other (HD-DVD or BluRay). However, one will eventually become the standard just like VHS eventually beat out Beta. At that point, all studios will release discs in that format.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2006 10:15:30 PM PST
Moxie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2006 2:56:33 PM PST
Edge says:
I wouldn't buy it on HD DVD, but I would buy it on Blu-ray Disc. So yeah, Disney, please release this on Blu-ray Disc! =)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2006 1:57:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2007 1:24:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2006 10:16:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2006 10:16:35 PM PST
Sparky says:
I own an HD-DVD drive for 360 and a Playstation 3. From what I've seen, HD-DVD is amazing quality. But Blu-Ray blows it out of the water.

Here's a quick comparison:
Blu-Ray is to HD-DVD as Xbox 360 is to Xbox.
HD-DVD is to normal DVD as Xbox is to Playstation 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2006 6:30:09 PM PST
I wonder if you all have the 1080p big (really big!) screen TV's to make all this discussion worth the effort.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2007 5:33:42 PM PST
Lotte says:
Exactly. Until one format wins out why bother going to all that expense? This is just a repeat of the VHS/Beta wars and look what happened to the Beta people.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2007 4:13:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2007 4:16:38 AM PST
Bozster says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2007 12:53:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 7, 2007 12:53:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 6:22:46 AM PST
Unless the format war scares off most customers and both fail.
I LOVE hi-def and can't bring myself to buy anything until it's all figured out and I can buy whatever movies I want on the same format.
For movie lover's, picking a side right now is like Sophie's Choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:30:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2007 8:33:03 PM PST
Verbal says:
This thread is hilariously old.

http://www.engadgethd.com/tag/VideoScan/

75% market share for BD on Black Friday.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:32:35 PM PST
briamazon1 says:
re: "actually, disney has announced that it is going to release this and Cars both on HD-DVD"

Derek - that is fiction. Disney has no such plans. Disney is exclusively supporting Blu Ray. Please stick to facts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:34:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2007 8:36:03 PM PST
Derek, do you have a link for that? Of course you don't what you just typed is an outright lie. Disney has not announced any such thing about releasing movies on HD DVD. If you are a fan of HD DVD be a fan, don't make something up just to make yourself feel good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:34:25 PM PST
Codo says:
YOU ARE A BIG BIG LIAR. YOU CAN'T EDUCATE BY DOING SO. I SUPPORT BLU-RAY AS I RESPECT THE ONES WHO CHOOSE TO FOLLOW HDDVD, BUT C'MON MAN RESPECT YOURSELF. DISNEY IS BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE AS IS UVIVERSAL TO HDDVD. HOW WOULD YOU RESPOND TO SOMEONE LYING ABOUT UNIVERSAL RIGHTNOW GOING BLU?
STOP CONFUSING YOURSELF! 'CAUSE WHO ELSE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FOOLING?!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:38:49 PM PST
ZeeMan says:
Really good comparison. Go Blu

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:04:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2007 9:11:15 PM PST
Its shocking the amount of dis-information out there for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats. Here are some FACTS, which are well documented.

*Disney is not, and will not release anything for HD-DVD (at least not in the USA. Perhaps a few titles overseas, but not many) Niether will Sony, MGM, or Fox. Much like Universal will NOT release Blu-Ray movies, nor will Paramount for the near future. This is always subject to change. Warner Bros is currently the only Major, top 12 Studio, to offer Dual Releases (And New-Line Cinema, but they have only released 1 or 2 titles atm)

*Blu-Ray out sells HD-DVD 2:1 average for each week in 2007.

*Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support 1080p Picture and both have movies that are high quality, and both have some that are not as good of a transfer.

*Blu-Ray Discs are 50gb Dual Layer - HD-DVD are 30GB Dual Layer. Most of the newer movies being released in Q4 are Dual layers on both formats, and both contain lots of goodies and extras.

*Blu-Ray Supports up to 40mbps Transfer of data, HD-DVD supports up to 29 mbps transfer (might be 29.4 max) Usually, the higher the transfer the better, but depends on movie and encoding/transfered picture.

*Player Prices for both are sub $500, and if you want 1080p, the difference between the two players is under $100. If you want sub-1080p, then You can pick up an older Toshiba for ~$200, Cheapest Sony is ~$350. Not a big difference.

*Of the major studio support, Blu-Ray has Disney, Fox, Sony, MGM, Lionsgate, Warner Bros. ---- HD-DVD has Universal, Paramount, Warner Bros.

*Currently there are 572 Blu-Ray Movies available for purchase or Pre-Order from Amazon, and 506 HD-DVD Movies available for Purchase or Pre-Order.

*Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have support from HUGE companies, and a ton of capitol invested in both. Until there are MAJOR changes, i.e. loss of most of their exclusive studio support. You will see both formats around for years and years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 7:19:48 AM PST
David Hixon says:
Derek Thomas, Disney has never announced they are going to release anything to HD-DVD. In fact, they are adamant about remained Blu-ray exclusive. There are no announcements or press releases saying otherwise. Disney is Blu-ray exclusive, and plans to stay that way. They have not lost any exclusivity.
Blu-ray players are also down to $350 right now and not just $1000. In fact, the cheapest Blu-ray player supports better quality (1080p) than the cheap HD-DVD players (A2 and A3).
Also, Blu-ray IS making a bigger splash than HD-DVD. Last week, Blu-ray had over 72% of the HD market in USA, and it holds a 3:1 ratio in UK, and 9:1 in Japan. Blu-ray is making better sales, has better quality, more studios, more manufacturers, and more titles than HD-DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 1:09:21 PM PST
yo everyone, I am only going to type this once so stop with the bashing!
If you didn't notice, I posted that comment about a year ago. I checked into some things and found more than one article that said Disney was going to release most of its Hi-DEF titles Blu-ray, but they where looking into HD DVD for both Cars and PoTC. I can't be blamed for what I hear or read, and no, I don't believe everything that I do. I enjoy movies, heart and soul, and own both HD and Blu. I can't complain about either one and will continue to support HI-DEF in both formats.
And in case you hadn't heard, Disney is the only Blu exclusive company to cast a vote for the go ahead on the 50GB tripp;e layer HD DVD's. I don't have the link right now but you can find it at N4G.com if you really need to see for yourself.
Oh, and in case you are wondering, they voted yes to okay the production said HD DVD's. What's up with that?
Later haters!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 1:18:08 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2007 1:20:07 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 4:47:47 PM PST
Johnny says:
Derek, no offence, but if you really did your homework on this you would not have made so many mistakes in your post. First it is a 51gb disc, not 50. And you said disney will release Most of it's hi-def releases on Blu-ray, it's ALL, there is no if ands or buts about that, they are 100% blu supporters. And yes they did vote for the 51gb disc, but in this case size does not matter, bandwidth does. It's like an hourglass. You can put a lot of sand into the top, but if the neck is narrow, you can't flow it any faster. That is HD-DVD's biggest problem, no matter what size the disc, you can't transfer the information through the current players fast enough to give you the quality it deserves. Add a good quality audio and that just takes away from the bandwidth the picture needs.
Look, if your going hi-def and spending the money, go all the way. Whether you like it or not, blu-ray players have the capacity and the bandwidth to bring you the best picture and sound available to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 5:23:09 PM PST
bandwidth my but. I see good movies on both and I see great movies on both. Blu just makes it easier to avoid compression issues.
And if you read what I was saying correctly it was in regards to an earlier post I made that was false. the articles i read said that disney was going to test PoTC and cars on both, and obviously that isn't the case. I stand corrected on an earlier post and am not ashamed to admit that I misunderstood or was misinformed. I do love me some HD movies on my 65" samsung 1080p!

thanks for the concern though.
later!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions