Customer Discussions > Nintendo DSi XL Bronze forum

Why no Netflix for Nintendo Dsi's?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2011 10:12:34 AM PDT
I recently received an email from Nintendo stating that Netflix is now available for the Nintendo 3DS. I think that's great news, especially for 3DS owners, but what about having Netflix available for the different Dsi's?

I have the original Nintendo DS purchased way back in 2004. I never saw any reason to buy another model (lite, Dsi, etc) because mine worked fine, until recently when the battery now lasts only an hour on a full charge. I made up my mind to purchase the Dsi XL, so I can play the games I have in a larger screen and take advantage of the Dsi features. But now that I read that the 3DS will have Netflix, it's giving me doubts.

I'm a Netflix streaming member, and think it'll be neat to watch movies from a handheld device. But I read a lot of negative critique on the 3DS so decided to purchase the Dsi XL. What does the 3DS have that the Dsi's don't that Netflix can't be used on its systems?

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 7:10:59 PM PDT
Maximus says:
I doubt the DSi has the processing power for it

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 4:18:36 PM PDT
With the 3DS being the successor, they're unlikely to want to add features to older models. It's unfortunate, but since they'll be discontinuing pre-3DS line some time, they would probably see no reason to continue supporting the older platform with new features. It would take development time and testing for something that's not going to be supported for very long anyway.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 2:42:01 PM PDT
M. Henzel says:
I think it's for a few reasons.

A. Nintendo is pushing the 3DS and they need some features not available on the previous handhelds.

B. The DSi probably doesn't contain a fast enough video decoder or CPU capable of handling streaming video along with the internet overhead.
As it is, Netflix on the 3DS is pretty slow compared to playing it on a console such as the PS3 or Xbox 360. It's slow to load thumbnails and to start a video.
I really hope they can improve this as well as add the promised 3D video option on Netflix.

I wouldn't mind seeing Netflix on the DSi or even better, the DSi XL. That would be a nice sized screen for watching video.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 3:00:16 PM PDT
Ryan Hartley says:
Please Nintendo! We want netflix for the DSi XL!! PLEASE!! Make it happen! Somehow! The 3ds doesn't even have a very long battery life, ask any 3ds owner! It would be really cool.. c'mon..

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 11:35:23 AM PDT
Anomal says:
Why watch netflix on your dsi if you can watch netflix on your android. The screen on my phone is bigger than my dsi. I watch movies on my phone almost everyday. I also have kindle on my phone and read and I also have media hub to rent and watch movies. It's so much easier to do it all on one machine. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 11:18:09 AM PDT
Actually, I'm thinking of getting the DSI XL, and would love to be able to access Netflix from it.

It IS nice to have one gadget for multi-tasking, but an android won't replace my gaming experience. Though there are some nice games available, they don't hold a candle to Nintendo DS games.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 5:24:53 AM PDT
Heather Love says:
The point is that not everyone has or wants a smartphone - my 8 year old has a DSiXL but there's no way she needs a smartphone at her age.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 4:13:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 4:18:00 AM PDT
BooBoo says:
The resolution on a DS is 256x192. Do you really wanna watch TV on that? It's good enough for retro and low tech games, but I wouldn't wanna take it any further. Even on the 3DS's resolution, which is below the damned PSP's, I'd have my concerns.

""It IS nice to have one gadget for multi-tasking, but an android won't replace my gaming experience. Though there are some nice games available, they don't hold a candle to Nintendo DS games.""

If you want a multitask gadget, you should get a good smart phone or a tablet, at worst something like the Vita. DSi is REALLY, REALLY, weak in terms of hardware. Great games, but don't buy it or the 3DS for internet and media. I agree with the sentiment though, even iOS, which does have a decent gaming library, just can't compete with the meatier experiences on something like a DS or a PSP.

The only way to have a true blue universal experience on a portable machine is to buy a really good laptop. PC's can do anything, and have the best gaming library there is.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo DSi XL Bronze
Nintendo DSi XL Bronze by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (307)