ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Nintendo 3DS XL - Blue/Black forum

Why do people on here hate Gamestop?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 10:58:50 AM PDT
Can't you all get the 3ds at Gamestop? What's wrong with the place? I always here people complain about it. Just wondering.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 11:44:33 AM PDT
I can't speak for anyone else but virtually EVERY TIME I have ever gone there to buy a game, they insist the only copy left is the opened display copy. Somehow this doesn't warrant a discount even though it's an opened package. I find it rather sketchy, and I don't care to do business with them at all if I don't have to.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 1:10:47 PM PDT
bOoKwOrM says:
That has happened to me so many times! And then the cashier and other employees give you dirty looks, as if saying 'why wouldn't you want this opened and possibly used game' for full price?
I'd rather wait a little longer and buy online.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:42:17 PM PDT
I won't buy from them because they sell games for more than list price.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 4:19:57 PM PDT
Kiwi Kenobi says:
I choose not to buy from Gamestop because they keep selling bootleg games and claiming they are real.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 3:29:38 PM PDT
Joy says:
They always try to pass off an already opened item for new. They are the KINGS of the reseal. Say you traded in a 3DS that you note is like new...they will give you less than $50 dollars for it, wrap it back up and sell it as new.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 10:04:03 PM PDT
I used to be a long-time customer from the early 2000s. It seems that they have come away from really caring about games to caring about you turning in your old games to guy more used games. The ones near my home (there are two) don't seem knowledgeable anymore and appear to only keep up with first person shooters and zombie games only (I went to pick up a pre-order and they didn't even know the game came out the day prior). I really am sad to see the direction they have gone and really hope there are some stores out there that aren't like the ones I have come across.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 12:05:10 AM PDT
Jorge Rios says:
Heh, you're obviously one of those tools that trades in games and consoles just buy a new console. They rip you off, want to sell your SF4 3D? 5 bucks. Just to see it sell for an unreasonably high price. They buy it from you cheap but sell it as if it were new. Mind you, I found a used copy of Metroid Prime for 3 bucks there. It's just a mixed bag, you don't know when you'll pull out something shitty but it happens more often than you'd like to admit to. On the other hand, games here are cheaper, new and best of all, I don't have to deal with shitty Gamestop employees whose gaming knowledge consists of shooters.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 1:16:04 AM PDT
Dinasaur says:
Truth. Every (and I literally mean EVERY) Game Stop I have been to since 2004 has tried to screw me and my family/ friends. Its very sick. nothing much against the employees (some that have given me crap for me getting mad that I wanted to return my "NEW" (store opened) because it had MANY SCRATCHES as I inspected it in the parking lot), but the way things are done there is just wrong. But some ppl or kids do not have access to right sources to sell their games and consoles for a fair price. And Game Stop takes advantage of that. It agitates the crap out of me when my nephew comes to me to show me his "New game", to find out he traded 7 games, well worth 4x the actual value of the game he just bought! It's dispicable!

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 2:34:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 2:35:00 PM PDT
Peragulator says:
Silent Hill Downpour. Amazon 17 bucks. Gamestop 49.99. Gamestop sells (used) the 4 games I traded in for 110.00. Promotion says 50% extra trade plus additional 10% for membership. 1/3 is 35 bucks. Super Extra Special Promo? They gave me 27.00. I'm done.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:31:09 PM PDT
T. Hartman says:
What you guys are saying is all true. I have also bought "new" games from these thieves only to find they are scratched. Will never buy there again.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:51:11 AM PDT
E. Smoger says:
There's a lot of reasons not to like Gamestop..

1. they have forced themselves into the dominant position for videogame retail, and their whole "power to the players" marketing scheme is crap.. they do almost NOTHING that benefits their customers or the game industry. i'm not saying their overall goal shouldn't be to make loads of money, they ARE a business.. but they can do it without ripping off the people they claim to "empower" (for example.. when they were encouraging people to trade in their 3ds for an XL, they didn't account for system transfers at all. some individual stores came up with a method, but others had no idea. if they really wanted to be good to their customers, they would have worked out a corporate policy for allowing customers to bring in/trade their 3ds with their XL *receipt* to get the bonus value.)

2. depending on the situation, they often seperate bundled items and sometimes even destroy/throw away accessories that are supposed to come with games/consoles (like the 3ds charge far as i know they do not take these when buying used nor do they include it when selling used.)

3. they allow their employees to take games home to play and then sell them as new (these are the "gutted" copies.. the empty boxes that sit out on display)

4. it is IMPOSSIBLE to go in and just buy something without being pestered about signing up for loyalty cards, magazines, and game preorders

5. other stores very frequently have better sales and deals for games.. especially on new releases.

6. other stores very frequently have much better trade in values for games.. including Amazon

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:36:14 AM PDT
For the most part I've given up shopping at GameStop. If I want a game I'll snatch it up on Amazon or on EBay. However I am tempted during their sales, buy two get one free, for instance. But due to the convenience of modern phones I stop and compare prices online to see if I'm getting a deal or not. When I am, clearly I purchase. If not, I walk out. I don't recall getting a deal very often.

I miss when they were EBGames. Back then they actually cared.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 12:01:48 PM PDT
I agree that the employees tend to have little knowledge of the games they sell. Would it be so hard to hire that weird dude that lives in his mom's basement and knows every game like the back of his hand? I'm being serious. Well, the place is a ghost town most of the time these days. Steam took pretty much all of the PC market from them. The only people that shop there are people that either can't use amazon, or don't want to wait 5-8 days for free shipping. That being said, it is probably around the same price when 2 day shipping is used. However, I know the feeling of not wanting to wait a week for a game, but sometimes it is worth it. Lastly, many times when I bought a used game from them, it was broken. They took it back and either gave me money or an exchange (my preference). Nonetheless, it is annoying to have to come back to return a game. I would appreciate it if they would check their games more thoroughly. As a result, I seldom buy from Game Stop anymore.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 12:48:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 12:53:40 AM PDT
David T says:
I'm sick of buying "new" games that have already been opened and played by the employees. I also hate being harassed to pre-order games I don't want and being pressured into getting some crappy discount card. The employees act like they know what they're talking about, but the only games they ever play are Call of Duty and crappy Japanese RPGs. Gamestop sucks and the only reason I ever go there these days is to get a Pokemon distribution.
The only people who buy games and Steam Wallet cards from Gamestop are people who don't have credit cards. I laugh every time I have that thought.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:23:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 5:00:05 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
I wouldn't say I "hate" Gamestop, but I do avoid going to them because:

1.) Their used game price is only $5 cheaper than buying it brand new. I don't buy games new anymore because for 95% of the games out there $59.99 is just not worth it and neither is $54.99.

2.) I hate how they pester you to preorder every single game that is coming out. Not only do I not buy games new, I definitely don't pre order anything anymore.

3.) Employees have no knowledge of the game they sell. No matter what game you ask them about the employees will always say "Oh this game is AWESOME!"

4.) Finally, while I don't trade games in, the amount they give you for your trade in, vs how much they turn around and sell it for is an insult. For a new game they give you maybe $25 if you're lucky, but turn around and sell it for $54.99; a 119% profit. I understand they have to make money, but people really get the shaft trading games into them.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:10:03 PM PST
It seems to me like a lot of people here have had a lot of bad experiences at Gamestop. I'm an employee at my local Gamestop and I swear by them.
Gamestop isn't a perfect establishment but I haven't seen any better game stores in this world.

A lot of you complain about the new, yet, opened game that you will inevitably receive when there are 2 or less new copies of a game in the store. The game is completely and utterly new and any codes included with the game are going to be unused. Meanwhile the case is used as a display because the cost of filling each of their tons of stores with blank cases and printing cover art would cost so much money they would have to raise their prices to cover it. The case may be battered, but if it is that bad we will switch out the cover art an place it into the case of a preowned game that isn't damaged, and on occasion my store has issued small discounts.

A lot of you complain about the resell prices. Gamestop offers a guaranteed $30 for new title trade-ins within thirty days. So the consumer has basically paid $30 to play and beat a game. Personally I prefer to not trade in my games in the first place but the fact that there is a Gamestop around to offer me the opportunity is something I appreciate. Some of you complain that the profit margin seems high. FYI most gas stations make around 100% profit off of everything but the gas. On top of that Gamestop won't refuse a trade, short of an outright destroyed disc or console. You can bring in a ring of light xbox and they'll give you money for it. They'll, of course, give you less money but it's a risk they take.

As for pre-orders. As an employee I am pressured to make sure I include a mention of each of the following: our Power Up Rewards Pro $15 a year card (if the customer doesn't already have one) and to ask customers if they want to pre-order any games. Pre-orders are extremely important to both Gamestop and the game publishers. It gives them hard numbers so they don't over or under stock the shelves and keep they earnings high. This in turn gives publishers more money for the next game, and ensures Gamestop isn't flooded with too many games that they can sell. If stock doesn't move they have to raise prices elsewhere to make up the difference. On top of that Gamestop works with publishers to ensure that consumers that pre-order games get nifty bonuses like posters and in game content.

As for the disc insurance; what other company will replace the disc of a game your Xbox shredded or you mishandled for $3? It's an excellent deal, and totally worth it.

As for game knowledge; in the last 2 months a new console has been released with a whole slew of new games on top of around 4 new games for the already existing new consoles and if the employee is a Senior Game Advisor or higher they work full time and barely have time to play new games and no one is going to memorize all the features of all the new games coming out; especially one they have no time to play. Be that as it may; Gamestop want's to make sure its employees are educated and allows them to actually rent games out of house for 4 days, employees, like me, who want to make sure we provide the best games to our customers go out of our way to try as many games as possible, so we can at least give our impression. As for employees saying every game is 'Amazing'; I speak only for myself but I try to find games that people will actually enjoy instead of shoveling CoD down their throats.

Finally our pro card; a lot of you spout hate about it. Honestly what is there to hate? The cost of the card is meant to cover the cost of the GameInformer magazine. Which you get a year subscription to. On average a magazine costs 5 to 7 dollars an issue so the card pays for its self after 3 issues. On top of that you get 10% off of everything pre-owned, short of consoles. Everything pre-owned is guaranteed to work and Gamestop even lets you bring the game back if you simply don't like it. Then there are the reward points. I've easily gotten more than $150 in merchandise with my reward points, and I've only got 65k lifetime points (not many at all seeing as I got aroun 1k for trading in 3 games.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:18:28 PM PST
Bootleg games? Pre-owned yes but an employee can't take a game in unless it has branding around the hub of the disc (the circle in the center that says 'Microsoft', 'sony/ps3', 'nintendo'.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:57:04 PM PST
J. Coffey says:
I live less than a mile from my local gamestop and I have done plenty of business with them in the past. I have traded in several old consoles/handheld devices and I get a fair amount for them in store credit which I don't mind.

I might be in the minority but I don't expect the employees to have a vast knowledge of every game sold. In fact there is no way in hell that I would spend hours off the clock playing games constantly for a minimum wage position. I think people have unrealistic expectations if they expect throrough knowledge on every game.

The one sentiment I agree with everyone else on, however, is the price of used games. There is no way I would pay $5 less than full price for any used game, regardless of how recently the game came out. Even if a damaged game has a return guarantee, I still think used games should be subject to greater discounts.

Other that the price of used games I usually have good experiences when I visit gamestop.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:33:20 AM PST
K. Jowers says:
The main reason I avoid Gamestop like the plague is all the crap they try and shovel on you. The nearest Gamestop to me shares a parking lot with best buy. Guess which one I go to. Yes, best buy usually gives you some crap about their warranty and line of credit but all you have to say is no and that is the last you have to hear about it. You tell Gamestop no and they want to know why. They're all ''are you sure?'', ''it's a good deal'' , ''you get some bonus crap for pre-ordering'' and ''are you sure you don't want to be a member?''. Bloody hell, they don't shut the eff up about it. They're doing their best to annoy their way right out of business.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:23:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 8:28:04 AM PST
Brian D. says:
I refuse to by from them for a number of reasons, first and foremost is the fact that they rarely have a copy of a new game that hasn't already been opened. I've also had several bad experiences where their customer service is concerned. I like buying brand name accessories, it's merely a personal preference of mine that as a customer I don't feel I should have to justify. A few years back I went to purchase a cable that would allow me to connect my PSP to my HDTV. All they had were 3rd-party cables, which I wasn't interested in buying. The associate continued to pressure me and undermined my reasoning for preferring brand name products to the point where we were arguing with one another. Similar instances have occurred when I've refused to purchase an opened game at full price, or at all. I'm not dishing out $60 a pop for an open product. I don't care if it hasn't been damaged, it's not their place to open their merchandise, and quite honestly I'm surprised the publishers haven't made this an issue. Not to mention that the act of trade-ins hurts game developers in the long run.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 12:15:26 PM PDT
Ghetto Ninja says:
I'm done with Gaymstop. I tried to cancel an order a week in advance because Amazon had a better deal. They gave me BS that it was already packaged and processed yet they didn't get the label made until Monday of this week. I'm refusing the package but they sent the preorder code out already do they may not accept it.

Posted on May 14, 2013 11:22:14 AM PDT
JR says:
Sometimes I can find some rare finds at my local Gamestop such as a game not in print anymore for a decent price. But other times (well most times) they will sell used games and merchandise at full new prices. I bought two DS games (cartridges only) recently from them at about $15 a piece. I should've looked on Amazon first since I could have bought them brand new for that price!!

Another thing to be aware of is their buy back scams. I sold them an old gameboy game a long time ago for $5 and they turned around and sold it for 4 times that much.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 11:02:54 AM PDT
Mimsy says:
Wow- it looks like some people here have had some really terrible times at Gamestop. I haven't, but then again I usually buy used games so I don't encounter the selling-used-games-as-new problem. The two stores near me (one a full store, one in a mall) always have very patient, helpful staff.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 2:49:12 PM PDT
Mimsy says:
I think some of you just need to try new Gamestops. I actually just came back from one; the reason my last comment was so short was because I had to leave. The manager of one of my local gamestops offered to bring in her 3DS XL so that I could try playing it (I had been skeptical about the size and not overly pleased with the aesthetics) and was very polite and knowledgeable. As I said before, a majority of the time I buy used games so I don't know anything about being sold used games that they market as new, but I've always found the used games to be reasonably priced- at least for the DS, which is my main system.

Earlier commenters said "it is IMPOSSIBLE to go in and just buy something without being pestered about signing up for loyalty cards, magazines, and game preorders" and "The main reason I avoid Gamestop like the plague is all the crap they try and shovel on you" and I'm not doubting them, but I've never had that problem myself. When my dad and I went today (he was browsing PS3 games; I was looking at DS games and trying the XL) I didn't get a single thing pushed on me, not even by the manager- and I spent a while talking to her and a few of her employees. My dad was asked if he wanted to pre-order a game, but only because he was asking about a game that was coming out in two weeks, and he was also asked once about the warranty but no one pushed their sales when my dad said he was fine without it.

Also, earlier commenters said that "Employees have no knowledge of the game they sell. No matter what game you ask them about the employees will always say "Oh this game is AWESOME!"" and "I agree that the employees tend to have little knowledge of the games they sell". I certainty didn't have that problem, either. The cashier didn't know much about a game my dad was asking about but he held his own in a conversation with me about Kingdom Hearts. The manager, who was really very nice, was able to talk to me about games and explain the pros and cons of the different systems. She even recommended cases and covers for the XL from Amazon, so she obviously wasn't trying to push their own products there.

Maybe you should see if there's another Gamestop nearby, if you have problems with one, because I've always enjoyed my experiences in the store.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo 3DS XL - Blue/Black
Nintendo 3DS XL - Blue/Black by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.7 out of 5 stars (2,031)