The trouble with the PUA lifestyle, and with chasing pussy in general (and I say chasing pussy because if you think these pick up techniques will land you a steady girlfriend, you're a seriously misguided individual) is that, as a guy, you are in the 70% of men looking for unattached sex chasing around the 5% of women looking for unattached sex. The other 95% of women want something serious, and if you try PUA techniques on them you will, first, entertain them, and second convince them that you're not relationship material.
As for the 5% of women looking for a roll in the hay, they of course have their pick, and they only go for the top tier guys. That is, top tier in looks, income, and charisma. Of those three, charisma comes in a distant third, and charisma is supposedly what you are learning with these dating gurus. Unfortunately, it's really not what attracts women. Have you ever heard women talking about how to find and attract charismatic guys? Of course you haven't. Charismatic guys entertain women but almost never get past just being friends. If you master the charisma but don't have the looks or income to back it up and still push a woman for sex, you will come across as creepy. The harsh reality is that looks and income come first as far as attraction ( I'm talking about the PUA scene, not relationships in general), and charisma is just a bonus if it's already there.
So the only guys who have much of a shot of becoming a pick up artist are very good looking guys with a lot of money who like to sleep with average or homely women. Also, I should add, there are no attractive women out there waiting to be picked up in bars. They don't need that for sex. Attractive women hang out in bars and clubs for the social atmosphere.
But back to the men: Take the show on VH1 - the Asian and the fat guy went first, and the best looking guy won. That was not an accident. Women want what they want, and you can't manipulate them into wanting something different. That's reality. A lot of guys have been burned by the "she's just not into you" and want desperately to believe they can MAKE women like them, and these guys are prey for guys like Mystery and Jefferies. These PUA books are like those late night infomercials that promise you can make millions without leaving your couch or you can loose weight while eating as much as you want. They tell you what you want to hear so they can get some money out of you.
Looks and income will, of course, become far less important when you drop the shallow PUA stuff and start trying to build real relationships. The only guys who can get away with being shallow are guys with enough looks and money to attract shallow women.