Why is TV series "China Beach" not released on DVD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 373 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 8:58:30 PM PST
Margo says:
Proudmale: I am so happy you are doing this! I watched the original series. The History Channel ran the series in the 90s and I taped all the episodes. In moving, I accidentally tossed those VHS tapes out. And been crying ever since.
Samantha is offering the series and I am getting it. But I will look in on the
CB channel 1/2/12.
Bless you, man, for doing this for all the vets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 9:07:13 PM PST
samantha says:
W. Hall - Are you still interested in a good copy of China Beach? Send me a note to isegb@yahoo.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 9:11:09 PM PST
samantha says:
Kathleen: I have never heard of this website, but I can help you out, please contact me if you need China Beach, isegb@yahoo.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 2:21:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 9:26:29 PM PST
Goodwin Heil says:
I just sent an e-mail to this address for Sam, (or Anna), which seem to be one and the same. I sent ....... to a P.O. Box in Florida with no real assurance of success, I was able to aquire a full set of China Beach. All 4 seasons. It was a scary situation, but the transaction was straight-forward and I was assured at every step of the process. It was only three or four days from when I sent the ....... that I had my discs, which seem in good shape. Overall, I am very pleased with our trade. And quite proud to now own a full copy of China Beach.
G. Heil Jr.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 6:34:07 AM PST
B. Keyser says:
I am interested in a set of China Beach

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:48:59 PM PST
Linda Pester says:
I am interested as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 2:59:24 PM PST
D. lariscy says:
Nice u all could get sets. Remember, "trading" is ok, buying/selling is frowned on. Glad you worked a situation out. Post if the discs do or do not run with you dvd player. Just a thought. Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 7:48:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 9:27:53 PM PST
Goodwin Heil says:
This type of transaction is not one I would ever recommend, but in this instance it worked out very well. This would never come to be without some trust and the risk of capital on one or both sides. My wife pointed out that we have given twice that amount in one night at the local Biker Bar. Kinda put it in perspective and made the risk more palatable. The shipping was prompt and I am through season two and the discs work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 11:14:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 14, 2012 4:37:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 4:39:04 PM PST
samantha says:
Linda Pester
If you are interested in obtaining China Beach, please contact Sam at isegb@yahoo.com for more information. Thanks,
Sam

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 3:22:25 AM PST
MaineGirl says:
I see online that China Beach is available from hulu, iTunes, and Netflix, presumably in streaming video format. (Google China Beach - HuffPost TV) I suppose this may be how some people get and sell their boxed sets - if they have a DVD recorder with both read and write capacity. I also assume that since the show aired so long ago (before HD), the picture will be limited to 4:3 aspect ratio and that quality won't look great to those who have become accustomed to HD. It's a great show, however, and well worth watching for the acting and writing. I only have DVD capacity on my Netflix account, so I don't have firsthand information. It would be interesting to learn if others have watched it in streaming format and if they were happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 5:54:36 AM PST
B. Keyser says:
Incorrect. I don't see CB on Netflix or ITunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 8:53:22 PM PST
Margo says:
Bookworm. Aside from the remarks about the techno-quality of showing CB, the series is not available anywhere except from secondary traders who do the VHS-DVD transfer. There never were any sets of the series, boxed or otherwise. The producers never released the series, only the first episode which you can buy on Amazon, etc. The soundtrack is offered for sale on Amazon, but it is not the real soundtrack. This is a long thread, but you should follow some of the comments to what the situation is. I recorded the series on VHS when it was re-broadcast on the History Channel, probably in the 90s. I accidentally threw out the tapes when I was tossing VHS tapes of other things. Cursed myself for that for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 8:52:51 PM PST
Margo says:
Hi, lariscy! I am enjoying CB a lot as I'm sure you are, too. I can vouch for Sam's trading. As some of us know, there is SOPA and another bill pending before Congress to control the internet. There is huge controversy. How do we protect copyright and intellectual property rights against pirating? (This is only part of the issue. They do not address how we can stop sites such as Facebook from selling our information to third party vendors.) In my opinion, I would love to purchase some things legitimately. But if the product is not offered and is not ever going to be offered, then I think "trading" it is perfectly ethical. Of course you have to be careful of the person fulfilling the trade. Still, I'd rather take the chance on a poorly crafted, incomplete set for an exchange of next-to-nothing than not have the thing itself at all. Samantha is offering a good hi quality trade. I'm very happy and think you will be, too. Lariscy and I also lucked out elsewhere earlier, but caveat emptor. I'd send Sam an email asap. (And this is a recommendation, not pandering from a relative ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 8:55:02 PM PST
Margo says:
Goodwin, please edit your post ASAP to delete the words: money order and money. We MUST protect ourselves in the "trading" process. Please, right now!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 8:56:59 PM PST
Margo says:
Goodwin Heil may have put us in jeopardy as I tried to get him to omit or edit his post. Amazon would not let the post thru. Please, please, people, use the terms trade or exchange!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:28:24 PM PST
Margo says:
Just a ps concerning the music rights to CB. Most of the music (from the 60s) is in the pubic domain. Duration of royalties rights has expired. Since last posting, I've heard that the producers of CB did not, and will not, release the series for purchase because first, originally, the subject of the war was still controversial (and why they suddenly dropped the series after three years) and they did not want to pay royalties for music, etc. More recently, the producers will not sell the series because they feel there is no market for it. I suppose that means people like me -- and the veterans themselves -- are dying out and make for a smaller market. The s.o.b.'s If you listen to some TV adverts, those tunes are used all the time.
I highly recommend you arrange a trade to get the set. See Samantha. Do it soon. There is a bill pending in Congress (SOPA) which would "manage" the internet. There is another which will take all compositions out of the public domain. It now says public domain occurs from 50-70 years after the composers' death, but I suppose the Big Corps who bought rights to, say, the Beatles, want to squeeze every dime they can into perpetuity, so the legislation will remove "public domain" altogether. This means that govt can interpret "internet piracy" any way they wish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:31:09 PM PST
Margo says:
Still looking? US is writing legislation that would omit even person to person exchange for some items. Act asap. Check out Samantha. I was extremely happy with my trade -- and I am not related to her! LOL

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 9:33:50 PM PST
Goodwin Heil says:
Margo, You sure seem full of yourself. I sure am sorry I did not react a the exact moment you sent your message as you seem to feel I should have. BTW, who is the "us" I put in jeopardy and by whom are they in jeopardy from.
Margo, you need to get a life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:58:00 PM PST
Margo says:
Goodwin, if you follow this forum you will see the nature of the problem. It is illegal to buy or sell copyrighted material. It is piracy. You will note we have all (members of the forum) been very careful to write about "exchanges" we have made. (I gave a copy of my dog's photograph in exchange for a set of CB, for example.)
I'm sorry you took my post personally. I was trying to warn you off and others on the forum. Also notice the many deleted posts. This is where we gave specific information on trades we have made. After 24-48 hours, we deleted the posts.
I have a life, already a pretty long one. China Beach is a part of that life. I certainly did not mean to offend you by telling you to delete the words which would get us all in trouble.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 10:02:43 PM PST
Margo says:
If anybody has the posts from the guys on the oil rig who wanted info on getting the China Beach series, please let me know. Some of the guys are vets of the war. I promised I would contact them once I had info. Now I have the info for a trade, I can't find their posts. Please help if you can. They may have been in the Persian Gulf but maybe not. I do know they were VERY excited about being able to get the set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 10:58:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2012 11:15:32 AM PST
D. lariscy says:
Margo, I just emailed you, hope it gets to ya. I'll try again if no go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 11:56:55 AM PST
Margo says:
D: This is so funny. We are so cloak and dagger LOL Anyway, I put the email name and this name together and voila! ha ha
I had to quit writing the email for a bit. Still am going to be late. Will def get back to you on the questions you raised. Margo

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 11:20:49 PM PST
Margo says:
O crap. I lost my emails. Did I reply to yours before I deleted? aaaarghghghgh

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 9:47:39 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 9, 2012 9:50:33 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  67
Total posts:  373
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
China Beach: The Complete Series
China Beach: The Complete Series by Dana Delany (DVD)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (270)