Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 3 - Playstation 3 forum

Why so many bad reviews?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2012 4:37:17 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
I have the collector edition sealed because of my back log..but is it really bad or people nitpicking the ending?

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 11:23:20 AM PDT
Robert Cook says:
It's the ending, when you see it you'll understand, all i can really say.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 3:05:14 PM PDT
J. E. Martin says:
I just finished it today. Played through it with a rabid fervor and then...yeah, the ending. I was disappointed. I would say, however, I liked the ending to Lost and no one else did, so who knows. In either case, I just think it's going to be a very hard sell concluding a game or movie/show where people invest so much into the characters and story line. But seems I am with the majority this time around. The game is still pretty good.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 7:53:28 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:23:22 AM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
I'm hoping that the indoctrination theory is correct, and I'm willing to reevaluate if they actually finish the game, but as it stands the ending just did not do justice to all the work that we've put in to the series and was the same no matter what our choices were up until that final dash to the beam.

I can't really say it was good, or even decent, if my Renegade who destroyed half the bloody galaxy and my Paragon who managed to have everyone practically sitting down and singing Kumbaya together had the very same options and outcomes when all was said and done.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 3:26:28 PM PDT
S. Gordon says:
Um, yes it is. The ending is atrocious. 3 choices, none of which change anything except the color of the lights. No resolution of any of the characters, the Normandy's fate makes literally no sense as it puts them suddenly in a place they weren't two seconds ago (trying to avoid spoilers). Don't defend their mediocrity. The game was fabulous until the end, but this is without doubt one of the top 10 worst video game endings of all time, and I've played a lot of video games!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 7:42:37 PM PDT
Robert Daicy says:
I loved having those 3 choices and I thought for a few minutes about which one I picked, but after I found out that it really did not matter which one I choose, I was very disappointed. The illusion of choice is not what this series has been about as each choice and each party member's living or dying shaped your future adventure in ways we've never before seen in gaming. My biggest disappointment was there was no resolution to the characters as you said. I know that they will likely address this in DLC, but we shouldn't have to pay for something we expect to get from the main game. To those wondering though, the game is awesome, the multiplayer is much better than expected, and the ending disappoints in some ways but I think some people have just taken it too far.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 9:09:15 AM PDT
Ally M says:
Honestly, I'm thinking after reading these reviews and talking to friends who've beaten it (and have been disappointed in the end) that I'm not going to buy this game.

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 4:50:25 PM PDT
SnS says:
I have beaten it twice. I am trying a third play-through on Insanity. Honestly, the third play-through is getting hard to give two craps about. All the other games I played through several times, but this one is an effort. I just don't feel connected to really anyone in the game. I don't feel like I have any say in the story and I feel like nothing I have done has mattered in the least. That isn't what I sign up for when I pop in Mass Effect.

It's worth a rent, but sadly Mass Effect 3 is to Mass Effect, what Dragon Age 2 was to Dragon Age. They went with a game that would appeal to the widest crowd while not really giving two shites about their core fan base. That is why the reviews are bashing them so much.......that and the fact that Bioware is pretty much telling their fans that if they don't like it then they can get bent.

Adding gay love interests and beefing up the combat is not what it takes to improve ME. Mass Effect really didn't need to be fixed or improved. All they had to do was give us a truly interactive third game with at least two different endings (actually different) and I think they would have pleased the vast majority even if nothing else had been touched.

I am holding my breath for some good, redeeming DLC but I have a hunch that I am going to be disappointed. Bioware has Dragon Age 3 and the next Mass Effect game to win me back. Otherwise, I am done with them.

Pretty sad when I used to be a die-hard fan, but it's true.......ME3 is a renter.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:13:26 PM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
That's another thing that annoys me about some of the bashing I've seen against people who didn't like ME3. How they play up the tiny little gay portion and try to make it look like that is the issue.

I don't see how it would be, he flirts, you tell him no, he leaves it alone. It might have been an issue if he didn't know how to take no for an answer, but that wasn't the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:16:39 PM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
There is an issue with renting ME3 though. No matter how much they told you MP didn't matter, you do need to play a few rounds to get the "best" ending and EA charges $10 for an "online pass" if you didn't get one in the box. So, if you actually want to see that breath, the only difference MP makes if they're not going to actually finish the game, you need to pay $10 on top of renting it to unlock the online portion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:29:33 PM PDT
SnS says:
I am not bashing the game for having gay love interests so please don't put words in my mouth.

I am saying that both games (DA2 and ME3) were games that they tried to make more like mainstream games to get additional sales and that the only "improvements" they made were to the combat and the addition of gay love interests (or more gay love interests in DA's case). It's particularly interesting since Bioware had a pretty hard line stance against making Shep gay only to turn around and do it in ME3 (and before nitpickers start in on me I already know that technically if you were playing a female Shep you already had that option back in ME1).

My issues are with Bioware's focus on "improving" the things that didn't make the game great at the expense of the things that HAD. I was expecting growing characters, branching story, emotionally wrenching scenes, and an ending that (even if I didn't "like" it) I could get behind. Instead, I got a story that played a lot like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed......

Does ME3 have some redeeming features? Yes. I applaud the first time in the franchise that a relationship can carry over. I like the fact that the vast majority of characters from the first two games get their fifteen minutes. However, they have known Mass Effect was going to be a trilogy since before ME2 came out. They have had years upon years to get this ending set up. Anything less than their best is not acceptable to me, nor should it be for anyone who is a fan of the series, and ME3 is simply not even close to their best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 5:39:24 PM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
I said no such thing, despite it being deleted for some odd reason.

What I said was that a lot of the excuses I've seen hold the homosexual option up as a reason as though people who are mad about ME3 are somehow homophobic rather than angry that they were lied to and sold a product not as advertised. I'm talking about the news stories I've read that try to make people who are upset out to be a bunch of homophobic kids hiding out in their parents basements rather than normal people with families and lives who are fully capable of functioning in the world.

Not sure the exact wording of the deleted post, but it said something to the effect of:

The gay portion was very small, and totally optional. We weren't forced in to it, he took no for an answer, and anyone who sees that as an issue isn't equipped to deal with life.

Now if Amazon is going to delete this as well I'd like an explanation of how saying it's no big deal violates your ToS.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:14:32 PM PDT
No one is making Shep gay. YOU choose for him to have a gay romance. AND BTW SHEP COULD ALSO BE A WOMAN! It's just like real life. Gay people exist, they hit on you, you say no thank you, MOVE ON!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:43:39 PM PDT
Liam Phoenix says:
Exactly what I was saying.

I don't think he was making an issue out of the gay relationship though. I believe he misunderstood my questioning the articles that try to claim homosexuality as the root cause for the unrest regarding the game as an attack on him for mentioning it, his original post simply reminded me of some of the earlier dismissive articles before the movement became too large to blame on the very few people (even less than the percentage who actually liked the ending) who were bothered by its inclusion.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 6:34:42 PM PDT
SnS says:
Thank you Liam. That is precisely what had happened. Thank God some people out there actually do read what's written. I ran in to a similar issue on another forum. I didn't mean to jump defensive, but I've found the water's less then hospitable for anyone who even mentions homosexuality.

I simply would like Bioware to have some accountability with their product and, while the market is free to support or damn products as they see fit, it does not mean that Bioware should so easily dismiss the issues their fans have. It pains me when a company has a great product and then fixes it until it's a mere shadow of what it used to be. They did it with Dragon Age. They are doing it to Mass Effect. And to focus on other companies.......it has been done to Final Fantasy, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, etc. Every single company out there thought these franchises were too big to fail. Some of them found out they weren't. I don't want to see the Mass Effect universe disappear. I especially don't want Mass Effect to go the route Final Fantasy did (a franchise I used to love that I can't stand to look at anymore.)

Sadly, with Bioware taking such an "Anti-fan" stance on the issues being brought up, I fear that may very well end up being the case. I hold out hope, but I'm fearful for the future of a company that used to deliver some of the most satisfying games I had played in a long time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3 - Playstation 3
Mass Effect 3 - Playstation 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
3.9 out of 5 stars (373)