Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2012 10:02:01 AM PDT
Bob says:
$14+ for a Kindle edition? That's outrageous and contrary to the hype that the Kindle editions would be much cheaper than the Hardcover/paperback. I just lost my desire to follow the "Heat" series any further.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 9:43:36 PM PDT
jrv says:
I see that the prices are not going to get any lower, even though, Amazon was expected to lower their prices. I guess after making the big bucks they have been making since apple tried to take over the market, has encouraged them to rip us off, too. I did not see anywhere on the page that the price was set by the publisher. I have been waiting for the prices to drop at least a couple of dollars on the hardbacks and at least a dollar on the paperbacks. Looks like Amazon has joined the ranks of let's rip off the consumers, too. I was a big supporter of Amazon and I am very disappointed in them.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:14:15 AM PDT
I can wait for a copy at the library...

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 3:16:50 PM PDT
C. Stepp says:
The publishers set the prices, NOT Amazon, and anytime you ask Amazon about it they are only too happy to tell you that. This is about the publishers trying to get rich off this technology, NOT Amazon, who would like to price digital media with the same low prices they often have for actual physical goods. If you have a problem with pricing of books, the best thing to do is complain to the publishers. That's why I like Penguin and some of the smaller publishers. Random House, MacMillan, and many other big names are still ripping us off every chance they get.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:51:34 PM PDT
Yes. I agree. I'm definitely going to wait for a lower price. Anything under $9 I might consider, but $14+? Forget it! There is so much free stuff (some of it every bit as entertaining) out there that I can definitely wait until this is in the "remainders" pile.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 2:54:21 PM PDT
Agreed. Richard Castle (if that is your real name and if you're following this thread.. :) ) why not publish this stuff yourself. I bet you're not getting much of that $14 and if you self-published, you could probably sell this book for $5 a pop and make a lot more money for yourself than going through your publisher.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 3:34:07 PM PDT
S. Edwards says:
Actually I would bet that the writer is someone at ABC since that's who owns the series. The writer is likely not getting anything from the sales of the books, just a regular (as regular as anything in Hollywood that is) paycheck. ABC are the ones making the $$. I agree $14 is too much. Time to wait for the library copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 3:29:24 PM PDT
I totally agree. I was excited to see the release of this book and would've bought it immediately, until I saw the price. I refuse to buy any thing over $10 and even then, I'm reluctant. I prefer anything $5 and under and have had some fabulous reads in that category, finding new authors who are every bit as good as some of the "big names"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 5:36:54 PM PDT
Yep, if enough of us take this attitude, maybe the publishers will recalculate their estimates of the demand curve and realize that 1000 x $5 each is better than 10 x $14 each in sales... especially since the marginal costs of creating more copies of the book are essentially zero.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 8:48:20 AM PDT
I agree - my Kindle was a gift so that I could stop buying so many books, and storing them all over the house. I love my Kindle for convenience, but find that I buy 'deal of the day' books and play more games on it rather than buy 'regular' books. Paying nearly full price ISN'T a savings to me. And especially when you can buy the paperback, and the Kindle price is still higher!

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:11:18 AM PDT
I agree. Sticker shock will keep me from purchasing too. Under $10 is acceptable. Over $10? I'll read something else.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 3:30:44 PM PDT
Tropicdonna says:
The Castle books were a quick entertaining read... but...

It will be a very cold day in HELL before I buy this e-book or any other for almost $15. So bye bye Castle, who every you are.

And if its not Amazon setting the prices, they could refuse to put it on there site when its over $9.99.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 10:27:23 AM PDT
Colleen says:
I wouldn't even buy an ebook for $14 & that's crazy the publisher wouldn't reduce the price. As of today, 9/11 I decided to check if the price went down. And it did to $9.49, I thought that was a lot better price. I cant wait to read the Kindle version. Thanks for reducing the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 11:04:48 AM PDT
Amazon doesn't set the price. Talk to the publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 6:17:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 6:53:16 PM PDT
The price did drop, but my wife's pre-order went through at the $14+ price. Hmm.. hope that can be rectified.
edited: Used the online chat, was able to be credited the difference. Double edit: And put that towards a paperwhite :P

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 8:11:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 8:13:26 AM PDT
Bob says:
In response to those that say "talk to the publisher" ......
Amazon has lots of power - they could refuse to list any Kindle editions that cost more than $X. They can use discretion and allow higher prices for real literature or established authors - but $14+ for Castle pulp-fiction is outrageous. Though it does look like the publisher saw they were not selling as many as they wanted at the $14 price and lowered it accordingly. I would not be surprised to see the price drop further, $9+ is still high. My wife buys her ebooks from established authors and they are never more than $5.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 3:55:51 PM PDT
Tropicdonna says:
Would you list a few of the established authors she reads (mystery stuff). I am getting lots of free books and of course I haven't read them all yet since there are so many. But some of them are pretty good. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 5:34:10 AM PDT
bfore13 says:
"Amazon has lots of power - they could refuse to list any Kindle editions that cost more than $X."

Amazon already tried to use their power to keep ebooks at $9.99 and below. Publishers threatened to withold their titles and Apple was more than happy to sell at higher prices (B&N probably was as well). What good does it do Amazon to refuse to list ebooks that are $10+? If some people are willing to pay the higher prices then they are just losing sales. Sorry, but the price is driven almost entirely by the publishers.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:04:56 AM PDT
I think $9+ is a little excessive for a TV- merchandising, produced "novel".I'm also a little skeptical of all the 5 star reviews.If the marketing dept. can come up with the concept,they surely can make sure the "reviews"are stellar...........
Just saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 1:48:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 1:50:40 PM PDT
The price is excessive, but the reviews are probably genuine. I enjoyed the previous books in the series a lot, but I refuse to pay over $10 when there are other books that are just as good and that I've not read yet with are free or $.99 Since it costs nothing to generate more copies of the book, by now, they should be dropping the price substantially to pick up sales from cheapskates such as myself who wouldn't otherwise buy a copy. I did buy a copy once the price dropped below 10. It would make sense for them to continue to drop the price as sales tailed off to pick up more and more cheaper cheapskates' revenue. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 2:03:55 PM PDT
Tropicdonna says:
I agree but everyone would wait then.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 2:06:04 PM PDT
Nope, some people want to be the first to talk about a hot new book. Let them pay for that privilege. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 7:45:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 3:31:22 PM PDT
bfore13 says:
Have you read any of the other 3 Heat novels? All have similar avg. rating of 4+ and deservedly so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 3:44:46 PM PDT
Bob says:
To Donna:

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply, I've pretty much abandoned the Castle books, just wandered in here to see what tack this thread is taking in response to the price-fixing suit the publishers lost. Unfortunately my wife does not read mysteries, she's more into what I call "compelling human drama" soap opera-type books. That may be a mis-characterization as I have never read any of the books she bought, but they are in that realm.

Kindest regards,
Bob

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 5:55:03 AM PST
Bob says:
The price is down to $5.40 now, that's a reasonable price for a Castle book.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Frozen Heat (Nikki Heat Book 4)
Frozen Heat (Nikki Heat Book 4) by Richard Castle
4.6 out of 5 stars   (923)