Customer Discussions > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC forum

Why is there no $10 credit for Pre-Ordering the PC version?!?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2011 11:41:20 AM PDT
Alex Chang says:
Why is there no $10 credit for Pre-Ordering the PC version?!?!

There is a $10 promo going on for future purchases of video games for pre-ordering the 360/PS3 version. WHY NOT THE PC VERSION!??!?!

Is it not bad enough that as a PC Gamer we have to pay the same price that console gamers pay?

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 5:00:04 PM PDT
Fence Jumper says:
We get mods. That makes up for it :P

Ive noticed that pc versions consistently arnt getting the pre-order bonus credits. Sad :/

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 10:42:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 8:54:22 AM PDT
Prismatico says:
Well, some PC versions are $10 cheaper so it makes sense, sort of. On the other hand, Rage has it and that's $59.99 across the board. If this isn't clear enough, I'm saying it's ridiculous they'd withhold credit for this which clearly isn't cheaper than the console versions unless you count the tiny under $1 discount.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 12:03:47 AM PDT
Alex Chang says:
$10 cheaper? What the heck are you talking about? Amazon is selling it for $59.54. That's only 45 cents cheaper :p

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 8:53:46 AM PDT
Prismatico says:
Was that just changed? Do they really think that makes up for it? And I just edited my post to make it more clear, I apologize if it didn't seem clear that I agreed with you.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 12:36:51 PM PDT
Aredhel says:
There was a coupon code from Newegg floating around out there for a long time. I scooped up the PC version for about $48.00 I think. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it was here at the Amazon.com forums that some crafty individual posted the link to the coupon code. Might still be out there somewhere.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 6:50:02 PM PDT
C. Jackson says:
They might make an adjustment if people called customer service and questioned it. It 'might' just be a mistake, then again it might not.

It does suck though.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 12:51:58 PM PDT
Josh says:
The PC version should be $10 cheaper to begin with considering there is no $10 licensing fee to pay to the console makers. Now, it's $10 more? I definitely won't be buying this game from Amazon if they don't at least match the 360/PS3 versions.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 7:35:14 AM PDT
P. Chen says:
I picked up my Skyrim pre-order from Newegg for $48 myself. I think the offer has expired already.

Posted on Sep 23, 2011 2:42:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2011 3:52:37 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 9:26:57 AM PDT
Wait so you only get the key and you don't get it until launch day? That completely removes my incentive to preorder via steam. The main draw of a steam preorder is that I can preload the game and play it from midnight on of launch day without having to wait to install it. Sure it is a discount, but I don't trust it and I would rather have the physical copy as they're including goodies :-P

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 3:04:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2011 3:52:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 3:16:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 6:34:00 AM PDT
With retail copies of steam works games you can still enter the key and preload. You never actually have to use the disk.

Edit: I had a stupid moment this morning. You can't preload from retail as you don't get it early :-p. Fun though eh. Im a big nerd for game boxes though, but to each his own.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 8:51:06 AM PDT
M. Weir says:
I wish the PC game got the $10 promo, but I'm happy paying $60 for this game because I know I'm going to get dozens and dozens of hours out of it. Worth every penny.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 1:55:57 PM PDT
On Direct 2 Drive its 53$

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:08:21 AM PDT
Josh says:
Someone here on Amazon needs to monitor these forums. Stephen A Temmesfeld needs to be IP banned. Not for advertising a different store, but for advertising a service that is unethical at best and possibly illegal/against Steam ToS.

Also, I'm with M. Weir. I'd happily pay $60 for it, but I won't pay $60 for the PC version from the same retailer who is discounting it $10 for consoles. I will be buying it on Steam unless that credit shows up soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 12:00:03 PM PDT
"Someone here on Amazon needs to monitor these forums. Stephen A Temmesfeld needs to be IP banned. Not for advertising a different store, but for advertising a service that is unethical at best and possibly illegal/against Steam ToS."

How is that against Steam's TOS when the games are authenticated and activated through Steam, who vets that the keys are good? I know people who bought games through them and they worked fine and never stopped working so it's not like the keys are stolen.

Besides, it's no more unethical or should-be-illegal than Valve's price fixing and surprise rentware.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 12:15:45 PM PDT
Rentware? Any evidence to back that claim? I have never even heard of that and would certainly like to if it is going on.

As for the CD keys, they are based on a mathematical equation similar to credit cards. As a result the system can be cracked and broken. In addition it might not be set to take different regions into account, but if they fix it and make it do so, they would be able to verify what you have done. Like it or not they do have a right to charge you a different amount based solely on where you live. It may not be fair, but it is absolutely legal and they can ban your account for violating their terms of service, especially if you did so to acquire a software package for less than their asking price.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 12:25:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 12:33:37 PM PDT
"Rentware? Any evidence to back that claim?"

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
"The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software."
I don't own it, so it's a lease. Lease=renting.

"As for the CD keys, they are based on a mathematical equation similar to credit cards..."

Do *you* have any evidence for this claim? ie do you work for Valve? Certainly there will be some check algorithm for them, but they would be randomly generated and stored in a database of possible keys with vastly more possible than actual keys, just as possible credit card numbers are billions or trillions of times greater than actual cardholders. It's nigh-impossible to guess a credit card and it would be similarly difficult to guess a key. Valve is not going to allow millions of attempted registrations from the same IP to test for keys.

There is probably some other mechanism at work here, such as that the keys are being bought in bulk for DVD manufacture more cheaply than retail, but instead are being resold directly instead of attached to a DVD because a naked key is as good as the DVD.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 12:31:27 PM PDT
For instance when they put bioshock 2 on sale they ran out of serial keys as they had bought a set amount from the publisher to be sold and they ran out, as a result they put bioshock 1 sale for 5 bucks to make up for it. Point is they had an allotment, but not for retail sales, theirs were for steam sales, the others are almost certainly simply run off a simple equation that verifies what game it is for and that it is valid.

S/personal experience with Valve support, and basic understanding of mathematics and how serial keys work.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 7:51:22 AM PDT
G. Herzberg says:
Parker, all software these days falls under your definition of rentware. Read your Windows 7 EULA (remember what the L in that stands for?)
"8. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the features included in the software edition you licensed."
Don't use Windows 7? This same text is in the EULA for Win98, XP and Vista. It's even in Mac's OS X EULA. You still bought one of these products, didn't you? Dig through all the commercial software you have installed on your computer and find how much of it YOU own. The answer's going to be none -- your polemic statement about Steam is unfounded in this regard.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 9:21:33 AM PDT
Josh says:
Sorry Parker, but as Herzberg says, all software has a EULA with the same wording. Literally every game you buy, except certain Indie games possibly, is licensed. You do not own anything but the physical disc if you bought a boxed copy. You don't own the game, just the license to use it.

And I do feel that the service we are talking about is shady and should be avoided. They claim on their website that they take the keys from boxed copies in other countries. They are likely skirting what is ethical and possibly even legal. Maybe they are completely legit and technically doing nothing wrong, but I still feel it's unethical to pay a cheaper price meant for a different region. If you want to keep using it, go for it, but if I were Amazon I wouldn't let people advertise that site on my own.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 6, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC by Bethesda Softworks (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,213)