Why is this Movie so expensive???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2011 9:56:25 PM PDT
Ava E. Laube says:
is this thing really worth $50??? thats a lot for a DVD....

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:54:12 PM PDT
The Little Mermaid went back into the Disney Vault with Peter Pan in 2009. They do this to certain films and its sequels only as a tradition. Newer copies are NOT sold in stores so Amazon and other websites does this practace until its rerelease.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 9:57:26 PM PDT
Stephen Neal says:
I don't know if you've already bought it or not, but you might want to hold off until early 2013. They're planning a 3d theater run and will probably bring out a new blu ray set shortly after like they did with beauty and the beast.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 9:21:52 AM PDT
I was just wondering the same thing! But I guess I can wait until 2013 when the 3D comes out so I can get the BluRay :-) I hate that they vault their movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 10:05:04 AM PDT
Joanna says:
I didn't buy it for that. It was cheaper a few yrs ago for under $20

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:51:45 PM PDT
I will be VERY mad if this is the case, but I was on the Blu-Ray.com board and there is a person that seems to think that PETER PAN is going to be the Diamond Edition in Fall 2013. D: This person seems to think that because the Peter Pan and Aladdin trailers are "classified" on the link that is there. I did a search and The Little Mermaid is not there. But seriously, if this is the case, I want it in 2013. I would suggest calling/e-mailing Disney and request it for Fall 2013. That's what I did. I know there is a lot more demand for Mermaid than Peter Pan, and it wouldn't be fair to us Mermaid fans anyway, seeing as Peter Pan came out AFTER TLM on Platinum Edition DVDs.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ATCVF024100/ This is the Peter Pan trailer classification.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=200813

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 2:52:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 24, 2012 10:26:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 3:51:00 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:23:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2012 10:25:35 PM PDT
1.Uhh, the spring Diamond Edition for 2013 is Aladdin. Peter Pan is a Diamond Edition, so it would be in the Fall 2013 slot. They only release 2 Diamonds a year.
2. And of course they vault their movies, but you honestly don't think it's stupid they do so? The majority of people do.
3. Considering Mermaid's your favorite Disney movie, I'd think you'd want it sooner rather than later on Blu. It's also mine, and I would like it in Fall 2013, especially since it's due for it to be released.
4. Learn to spell "succumb".

And besides, I honestly don't get that on your earlier post, you said you HATE they vault their movies, but now you're acting like I'm dumb for being upset about that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:45:05 PM PDT
LOL I do hate that they vault their movies, but not enough to send emails about it :-P And honestly, I don't care if I get the Diamond edition or not, I just want to watch the movie--hence the Jan/Feb 2013 release date that I looked up yesterday. As for succumb, I was typing on my phone and my thumbs have a habit of hitting all of the letters at once. Anyway, it boils down to "I hate that they vault their movies, I love Mermaid, and I'll take it in whatever DVD/Blu format I can get so long as it's not $50" hehe :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 10:52:00 PM PDT
Joanna says:
Ditto to that! I refuse to pay an arm and a leg. I heard it doesn't cost that much to make movies into blu-ray! I would love to see little mermaid on blu!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:51:57 AM PST
Norman Wolf says:
It actually costs a lot to remaster and restore a movie to bluray quality. If you don't want it to look terrible, you have to put time and effort in, and that's what Disney does. As for Little mermaid, it comes to theatres in 3D in fall 3013, and to bluray around then. I won't go for a 3D version because i can't see 3D anyway. So I don't buy a 3D tv, obviously.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 8:18:07 PM PST
popeye9000 says:
Apparently the 3D versions of The Little Mermaid and a few other Disney animated moves have been cancelled due to poor sales of their recent animated 3D retrofits.

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 4:39:34 PM PDT
Joel Hammer says:
Luckily they were only canclled for theater runs as Home 3D is still pretty popular
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2011
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Little Mermaid (Fully Restored Special Edition) [VHS]
The Little Mermaid (Fully Restored Special Edition) [VHS] by Jodi Benson (VHS Tape - 1998)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (2,077)