Why is this being compared to Twilight?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2012 5:03:14 AM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Can someone tell me why this book is being compared to Twilight? I just heard about it on the radio, and the girl kept saying how it was just like Twilight, but the characters were different and not vampires. From the reviews, I see she isn't the only one comparing it to the Twi series, but why?

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 1:54:30 PM PDT
jpmayo says:
I have NO idea because this series in in NO WAY at all OK for anyone under, say, 20 years old to read, and unless they are "experienced" 20 year-olds they will probably be shocked at it.

None of the characters are like those in Twilight, the romance is nothing like Twilight, which teaches to wait until marriage for anything remotely close to what's in Fifty Shades....so who knows why anyone would make that reference unless I read a different Twilight series than them.

I was wondering the same thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 4:23:41 PM PDT
It started out on line as a Twilight fan fiction. The characters were called Edward Cullen and Bella Swan even though he was a billionaire and not a vampire. She changed the names later in order to publish it. Apparently it's a thing in fan fiction to take characters and put them into different situations even if it doesn't make sense. There's probably a fan fiction somewhere of Harry Potter serving as an ensign on the USS Enterprise.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 5:07:51 PM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Thanks for the info, I was very confused, not to say that I am still not but I appreciate the explanation. I never even heard of fan fiction before this. You are right, this doesn't make sense, but thank you again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:13:24 PM PDT
I laughed really hard at your last sentence about HP. Thanks.

I was quite shocked when I saw this book in the #1 slot of the top 100 books on Amazon. I knew I had seen that cover before, and then I remembered seeing it on a list of fanfics that had been published. I am amazed that a Twilight fan-fiction could sell so many copies. Weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 1:32:43 PM PDT
This book was originally written as fan fiction based on the Twilight series, so the if you substitute Bella and Edward for the main characters names that is the original version. This author had her fan fiction bought to make a real book and had to rename characters so this would be an "original work". If you google Fanfiction, basically every fictional character known to man (Harry Potter, Buffy, Star Trek etc) that has a very very very loyal fan base has some sort of fan fiction out there where people make up stories based on these fictional characters sometimes in the actual universe the original story takes place or in an alternate universe where only the names of characters and their physical attributes are the same. Needless to say, yes I read fan fiction....and hey it's FREE :-)

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:31:01 PM PDT
jpmayo says:
Every time I hear the reference to Edward and Bella in correlation to 50 Shades I feel like its a violation to Edward and Bella's love story!
LOL!!
I can't even imagine someone putting them in that light...

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:50:01 PM PDT
How can anyone NOT see the similarities?! Over protecting, moody, stalkeresque, "dangerous" man and weak, pathetic, disgrace to womankind, female and the struggles they face in their relationship. Add in how poorly written it is and it's exactly the same minus the supernatural crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 1:00:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 1:01:57 PM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
First of all, I haven't read it, but it did not seem to be anything remotely like twilight, and what you are describing occurs every day in the real world, on tv, in movies, and in many other books, so focusing on twilight seemed odd to me until the others mentioned the connection. Besides, I think "the supernatural crap", is a huge part of twilight.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:15:49 PM PDT
jpmayo says:
I've read the Twilight series 3 times and there is nothing similar between 2 virgins and Ana and Christian.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 11:56:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 12:00:21 PM PDT
Because it was once a Twilight fanfiction called "Master of the Universe." And it was free. The only diff was the main characters were Edward and Bella.
See what I mean here: http://dl(dot)dropbox.com/u/65785689/50ShadesofWTF(dot)pdf

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 7:15:23 PM PDT
swhitney says:
bad link. could you repost it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:29:39 AM PDT
The link works, but you have you replace the two (dot) with real dots, first.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 11:02:02 AM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Its so weird to see it written with the Twi gang in it ( yes, I get that they were in it first), but now I see why the comparison. Thanks for the link. I have only read the sample of FSOG and the reviews here and I would have to agree with the reviews, not sure how this got published. The writing is truly awful, not that Twilight was that much better, but it was better, and this is not nearly as engaging, which I found Twilight to be for some strange reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 1:57:03 PM PDT
swhitney says:
My bad. Thanks for the post! Did you get this from that professor who teaches an modern literature class that includes a unit on fanfiction?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:41:12 PM PDT
No, I found it posted over on Goodreads.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 9:01:03 PM PDT
J. Duck says:
Curious to know if Stephenie Meyer has read this series (or if she would, given the subject matter).

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 4:56:26 PM PDT
Bookd says:
It's a Twilight fanfiction, that is a fact. You can even still find it around the net where Ana is Bella and Christian is Edward Cullen. It was on fanfiction dot net and other sites, I'd read it long before it was published. So, there is really no debate about it being borrowed from Twilight because it was put out there in the fanfiction community as an Edward/Bella fic, in almost the exact form as the published book. The only changes are the names, and a few grammar edits.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:14:22 PM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Looks like it needed a few more, her writing is that of an elementary school child, if that....not regarding the subject matter of course.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:13:43 AM PDT
I just love how very few in the D/S or M/S community have yet to come down on the inaccuracies and the problems with this book

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:44:50 AM PDT
gadgetgirl says:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the D/S and M/S communities?

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 12:45:47 AM PDT
I am thrilled that others are just as upset about this book as me. Seriously, my stomach ties in knotts when I hear someone say how romantic this book is. That angers me beyond reason. Unreal. Thanks for the link.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 8:53:05 PM PDT
It angers me that people see Twilight as romantic, too. How in the world can a character as controlling, obsessive, and self-righteous as Edward ever bee seen as a hero? And Bella is a horrible heroine. She has absolutely no backbone and doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities except that she can cook. Really? Ridiculous. Also, how in the world do they just decide they're in love one day? They don't know each other at all.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't understand people's taste in books these days. (I refuse to call this crap literature.)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:04:12 AM PDT
I was at Costco today and picked up the book, because I wanted to see if it warns people anywhere in any form what's in this book. NOTHING!! There is nothing at all in it to warn the reader. That means that my 17 year old daughter could unwittingly pick up this book and start reading this. That's what sucks the most. All these teenagers that are reading this book and will think they can make a guy love them if they just let him do what they want to her. I have got to quit looking at stuff about this book, cause it upsets me so flipping badly. I was never abused either, I can't imagine what it's doing to those that have been abused. I said in my review, to each their own if they like the BDSM lifestyle, that's not what I was judging. What I had a problem with is the fact that our heroine (and I say that lightly) hates to be hit, but she thinks she can make him love her by being hit. That's the huge issue I have, beyond the crappy writing, stupid inner goddess, and concious that is cowering behind the couch. I could go on and on, but won't to save you all. :)

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 7:38:34 AM PDT
I had not read reviews when I bought this book and associated it with Twilight in just a few pages. Like Bella, the heroine is innocent, insecure, and manages to trip in the first few pages. She also bites her lip. I don't know if that was written in the Twilight saga, but Bella constantly bit her lip in the movie. Like Edward Cullen, the Gray character warns her to stay away. By this time I read the reviews and the author makes it clear she was inspired by the Twilight series. I hate to buy a book and not finish it, but I really can't read this.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  40
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E L James
3.4 out of 5 stars   (26,784)