Customer Discussions > Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum

Why is this $60 when the first one was free/$15?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 24, 2011 6:20:23 AM PST
Will the game be 4 times longer?

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 6:28:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2011 12:54:55 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 8:20:31 AM PST
V. Clark says:
the first one was more of a mini-game than anything

this one IS going to be longer/more in depth

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 8:45:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2011 8:45:41 AM PST
@Rainer Rocks.

Prime example on how to make an irrelevant topic even more irrelevant.

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 8:59:05 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 12:56:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2011 12:58:43 PM PST
Rainer Rocks says:

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 1:56:33 PM PST
gimli1357 says:
The first Portal was an arcade game, more of a minigame. But, Portal 2 is a full game with multiplayer and a much longer story.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 4:03:18 PM PST
Actually yes, they said it will be about 4 times longer. This is counting the entire game though, not just single player.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 6:52:19 AM PST
Yeah the first was even just kind of an experiment, they had no idea how popular it would become. This one's single player campaign is was longer with loads of new experimental scientific stuff, like the gels for instance. I don't know how much longer it will be, but it will be much longer. IMO the co-op is what's the most exciting, the co-op alone was estimated to be around... 3 times longer than the single player from portal 1. (i think... it was something like that). and from what I've heard, Valve is most excited about it too, saying they were surprised at how co-op changed the gameplay so dramatically, it's more than just having 4 portals to work with, "players not only have to play cooperatively but also think cooperatively".

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 11:19:52 AM PST

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 7:58:00 PM PDT
Ian Lucier says:
Actually yes. The single player is said to twice the length of the first. Plus there is the co-op story which is also apparently twice the length of the first.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 7:36:50 AM PDT
no the single player is about 3.5 times as long as the first game and the coop is about twice as long. its 60 bucks because the first game was more of an experiment by valve to see if the concept was solid enough to be successful. we could go so far as to say that the first game was just a taste of the full experience.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 10:57:59 AM PDT
Terell Ness says:
So... Someone is complaining that a full game, several years in the making, shouldn't be full price? The much larger dev team shouldn't be paid for their time?

Alright, fine, I'll agree with you. Why not? Valve should be unable to pay its workers and the talent should go to other places while great games from the company fall by the wayside in order to give us more generic shooters in World War II settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 11:00:25 AM PDT
Nobody's complaining, I was just asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 1:52:53 PM PDT
Rainer Rocks says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 1:33:32 PM PDT
Matt Stolarz says:
What the hell kind of argument is that? It's 60 bucks because it's a full game, and plus Portal wasn't originally made to end up so popular, now you like it, now you pay more.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 2:00:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2011 2:03:15 PM PDT
L. Adams says:
I always buy my games 6+ months later, save yourself 50-80% the majority of the time. However, rewarding good developers by purchasing their products encourages development of new products with greater expectations, from both the consumer and the developer. Then you have companies that abuse the relationship and release the same generic shooters every year. I think valve is definitely one of the more reputable developers/publishers in terms of customer relations though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 4:26:02 PM PDT

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 12:32:11 AM PDT
Benton says:

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 10:01:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2011 10:01:46 PM PDT
Adam Duvall says:
If anything, video games are under-priced, because they most certainly are not over-priced.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 11:27:05 PM PDT
It's worth $60 (or $55, or $35... o_o;) simply for being different, in a genre plagued by repetitious Call of Duty-, or Modern-Times-Military-Game-With-Killstreaks-, clones. I understand that some people may be wondering how you can improve on something so unique and classic like Portal 1, but if anyone can put out a sequel, it's Valve.

And before anyone goes, "HOW DARE YOU TALK POORLY ABOUT 'COD'!1!", I'm simply talking about how many games are coming to the market trying to imitate it. It's resulting in poorer-quality games, and it's also seemingly stifling creativity. That's why Bulletstorm and Portal 2 (and to a lesser extent, Homefront's MP, despite all of the bugs and glitches) are worth it. Maybe not Bulletstorm since it lacks replay value, but it was still hella fun the first few times around.

That's just my reasoning, though... Plenty of time to make up your mind. I'd say $25 off a new release is pretty good, though, at the very least.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 4:31:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2011 4:34:24 AM PDT
Vylsith says:
@Rainer

LOL, games are overpriced? In over 15 years the price of games has only increase by $10 and games are over priced? No... gas is overpriced. Milk is overpriced. Popcorn at the movie theater is indeed overpriced (though the price of the tickets is underpriced compared to what the movie theaters pay for the film). Video games have barely increased while inflation has run rampant. Video games are very much not overpriced. They were definitely overpriced 15 years ago when it took 15 people 6 months to make a game. Nowadays with 250+ people working on a game for 2-4 years, they're finally at the right price for the work put into them. Video games cost money to make. Don't complain about the price and still buy the game. That's just stupid.

Liberals and conservatives in politics have absolutely nothing to do with Valve charging the normal price for a video game they spent 2 years creating. You're delusional.

As for buying games later? I often buy games later in their lifecycle when they go on sale, but there are also many games I buy as soon as they release. Diablo 3 will very much be a day one purchase for me. There are some RPGs that are day one purchases for me. If I'm interested enough in a game I'll shell out the full price for it. Many people feel the same way. I'm sorry you don't make enough money to buy games at full price. Don't ridicule others because your mom won't buy you $60 games.

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 5:12:21 PM PDT
Mike says:

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 9:13:18 PM PDT
mr. reviewer says:
Liberals just claim that common market failures justify regulation and intervention at times, and a social safety net... they aren't themselves supposed to function in the market economy like conservatives do? Lol, you idiots. At least rich liberals aren't trying to lower taxes for the rich like the rich conservatives do. "Suck it, peasants" -- rich conservatives. "Liberals are the problem" -- non-rich conservatives who believe Fox News.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2011 2:19:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2011 2:20:27 PM PDT
M. Donk says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Portal 2 - Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Portal 2 - Xbox 360
Portal 2 - Xbox 360 by Valve (Xbox 360)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (600)