Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2011 7:35:07 PM PDT
Why do authors go hardcover in the middle of a series??? I know, I should be happy for Lara Adrian, but I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on books. Now I'll have to wait another six months, or in some cases (coughJRWardcough) nine months before I can afford to buy it.

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 12:04:04 PM PDT
Lara says:
E.Morris,
I know what you mean. I ordered Janet Evanovic and all of a sudden they were hardcover. All her last books in the series are repeating themselves, no resolution, no growth of characters. Next time I order I will have to be more careful.
Author laughed all the way to the bank.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 9:24:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2011 9:26:24 AM PDT
R. Simpson says:
Don't know if you are of aware of this or not but Janet Evanovich said in an interview nothing will change with Stephanie, so what you have been getting in those book is what you will continue to get.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 4:28:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2011 4:28:54 PM PDT
Barb H says:
Publishers getting money hungry and stiffing the readers for a hard cover price when honestly a book is not worth that price. I have seen many authors go to hardcover that frankly are not worth the money. And you couldn't be more right about switching to hardcover during a series. Rubs me the wrong way that an author would do that to her readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 6:30:43 PM PDT
R. Simpson says:
A series tends to go open ended around the time of / or after it switches to hardcover in midstream. I find this decreases the quality of the series even more because all the author is doing is writing to try to sell the next book. I hope that doesn't happen with this series since for the most part it has been tight and consistent thus far. Add to that usually once it goes hardcover we only get one book a year instead of two as with mass market paper back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 7:15:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2011 7:17:08 PM PDT
MAC says:
I hate when author change format for two reasons - 1) the cost and 2) I keep each series together on my book shelves, so when it changes from paperback to hard cover, the books don't look like a set. So now I get the hard copy from the library and wait to buy the paperback.

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 8:41:16 AM PDT
GhostWolf says:
Isn't this suppose to be the end of the series? Really get sick of how the publishers are trying to squeeze more money out of the consumers especially when the series are ending. They did this with Nalini Singh's series which is going into a new phase now this. Something the UK end keeps the books in MMP a while longer but it doesn't help if you've converted to Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 12:00:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2011 12:01:20 PM PDT
R. Simpson says:
Barbara this was supposed to be the last book up until about a month before "Deeper Than Midnight" was released. Around that time I received Adrian's newsletter and in it she stated her publisher signed her for two more books in The Midnight Breed series after Chase's book "Darker After Midnight" and the possibility of more after that if she is approved for them. It also stated in that newsletter Chase's book would be hardcover as would any books in the series released after that and that the summary for Chase's book was posted too early on the internet and had since been removed from websites because it contained spoilers for "Deeper Than Midnight."

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 3:19:35 PM PDT
GhostWolf says:
Okay, I must have missed the blurb about the extension to the series in her newsletter. Well, as long as it doesn't stretch out and go down in quality as the Dark-Hunter series and others then it's fine. I just really am not happy about the switch to hardcover since the Kindle price will be just as badly priced.

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 6:43:07 PM PDT
T. Brisbin says:
Please remember that the format for publishing is not under the author's control -- the publisher makes these decisions and authors make the best of it. It shows huge publisher support for an author - in this case Lara -- but it's not the author's choice...So please don't hold it against authors! (kind of like cover art and titles - the publishers control those too!)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 7:01:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2011 7:02:40 PM PDT
D .Smith says:
Iam happy to see I was not the only one who is mad about the hardback now coming in yet another series.The greed of the publishing companys are going to end up in pain.The way things are going now I have stopped buying a lot of auto buys.Iam sorry but this is only going to get worse.Hardbacks are to highticket for so many of big readers.When books do not sell as well it will trickle down less sales .We see the end of so much that falls around books i would not want to piss of the reader who give these over paid ceo 1 JOB 2 bonus check Iam sure .It will hurt in the end everything takes time to trickle down but this is out of control anymore.So I will wait for paperback in 5 authors who have gone HB inlong running series.Yes I know not the authors fault them making HB is to be hey Iam great writer but found it isnt always so.Publishering companys can keep on crying we are not making money boo hoo stop putting out old books in new covers every week .This is a good way to keep customers from not coming back not all of us make 250,000 or more a year.

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 10:30:03 AM PDT
i have certain books that i keep, like christine feehan. and i've read some of the paperbacks so often they are beginning to wear badly. i don't really mind the hardback except for the cost. my only concern is that she will go the way of ward. i stopped reading ward after they killed the wife and child. i truly hope she keeps to her original scheme of things. so far i'm very happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 2:15:12 PM PDT
JDinAL says:
G Barber: You stopped reading Ward after just three books?!?! Girl you don't know what you are missing....pick them back up!

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 9:23:57 AM PDT
SMc says:
I centainly agree about hard cover in the middle of a series. You wait for the next installment, and BAMB hardcover. I just don't see the appeal of hard covers in the 1st place. When I find a series I really like, I save them for re-reads later and sure don't want a hard cover in there. Publishers who switch to hard cover are just sticking it to the very consumers who have made the author popular in the 1st place. To me the hard cover is 1. too expensive, 2. hard to hold (especially if you read in bed) and 3. are hard to store if you want to save the series.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 10:33:51 AM PDT
Sharon says:
I don't like hardbacks either. They hurt my hands and there are few authors I will buy in HB. However, I use my library a lot. If I go online to my library on the day the book is released, I request the book. When the book is ready for pickup, they email me and I go fetch it. Sometimes, there is already a waitlist, so I wait. J. R. Ward's BDB is an exception for me. I am also an Audible member and the books are usually available on the release date there so I get the audio version. I really like the Midnight Breed series, but not enough to buy this in HB. I'll get the audio.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 8:04:16 PM PDT
wildlower says:
Like with JR Ward's series...I'm gonna buy it on my Kindle since it's going hardcover. I LOVE hardcover books. I actually prefer them over paperbacks; however I'm a bit OCD...not gonna add hardcovers to the already paperback collection. It just looks wrong on the shelf.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 6:53:38 PM PST
J. L. Scorza says:
I am in complete agreement wildlower. I have a huge bookshelf collection of my favorite novels, and I'm really disappointed when the publisher switches them to a new format. Since I've gotten my Kindle, I purchase all hardbacks on that and read them, and then just pick up the paperback copy from the Used bookstore later on after it's been out for a while in MMP.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 9:14:23 PM PST
R. Moreland says:
I hate it when author's go hardcover mid-series. Not only because it means I have to wait longer to purchase the paperback but also because they take up more space on my bookshelves and don't look right next to my other books. Call me OCD but I can't stand an uneven bookshelf. What few hardcovers I have, get their own bookshelf and I'm not about to split a series if I can help it.

Maybe I'll forget purchasing and just borrow it from the library. If they're going to do this whole switch to harcover mid-series, they should at least publish paperback copies at the same time. People who prefer hardcover will still purchase it but people who prefer paperback may very well forget the series exists while they're waiting for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 1:35:58 PM PST
I know it just makes me furious! Kresley Cole is doing it too, and all of JR Ward's new books are in hardback! I hate hardbacks, they are too hard to hold and they are way more expensive! I guess the only option is to wait forever for the books to come out in paperback, but I hate the way these publishers are trying to get more money out of us!

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:14:11 AM PST
L. Magee says:
I totally agree! I'm currently reading "Lothaire", and it is big and heavy to take along in my purse! The only other option I have is to buy the Kindle version to take along with me, and just stick the heavy hardcover on my shelves with other "keepers". I have done this many times. Yes, this is buying the book twice, but sometimes, convenience wins over common sense (for me).
Even though I own a Kindle, I don't think I can ever totally replace ebooks with my hard copies for my keeper shelves. My Kindle just makes it easier to read on the go.
I love many series that have switched to hardcover, but I'm kind of impatient to wait for the paperback release. My reading addiction is my number one guilty pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 3:53:13 AM PST
Devils29 says:
Glad to know I am not the only one to think that Sherrilyn Kenyon's work has gone down in quality. The Dark-hunter series used to be such a good one, now it's average at best.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 2:44:11 PM PST
Hi I'm looking for Rio's ability can u help me I'm keeping all of them in a book just for me :)

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 10:32:59 AM PST
Macmadam says:
If the publishers keep this up then we as readers have no choice but to find a way to "kick" back. I have found out that ebooks are available at my public library. They claim to have over 34,000 different titles available for downloading on all types of readers. That is where I will be going if this "hardcover" versus "paperback" snafu continues. Please check your local libraries and "kick" them where it hurts.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 12:37:03 AM PST
Lara says:
@R.Simpson,
I read on another forum, that Janet Evanovic now has her daughter (son) writing for her.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:39:36 PM PST
Birdie says:
Hello Mary A. Taylor: Rio's ability is that his touch can kill. Can't remember which book said that, though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed Novel
Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed Novel by Lara Adrian (Hardcover - January 24, 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (282)