Customer Discussions > The Associate (Limited Edition) forum

Why won't Grisham put books on Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2009 11:54:28 AM PST
Seems like a poor decision and lost revenue for him and the publisher.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 3:41:33 PM PST
COH says:
I read that authors and publishers feel Kindle and other electronic book owners deserve no discount. As a voracious reader and Kindle owner, I am boycotting the full price hardcovers that I used to buy. The library is looking good these days. With so many books by the most popular authors a real disappointment, customers are fed up with high prices. Authors and publishers should take stock and realize that readers are not going to put up with that anymore. Amazon tolerating sham reviewers who skew book ratings doesn't help either. At the end of the day (or recession), authors and publishers will be running to Kindle and other electronic reader formats! In the meantime, they will reap the results of their own greed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 1:34:37 PM PST
JoAnn Ross says:
I'm an author of around 100 books, many of which are sold here on Amazon, a voracious reader (2-4 books a week), and a Kindle owner. (They'll get my Kindle when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands!)

Not only have I gotten so I now only buy books I can read on my Kindle (I even re-purchased a John Sandford book I had waiting in my hardcover to-be-read pile), I'm delighted that in these tight economic times readers have another outlet to buy my new books at a discounted price. And my publisher -- NAL Signet -- must feel the same way, or they wouldn't go to the trouble of formatting them for the Kindle.

I was disappointed Grisham's new book isn't available, but perhaps his publisher is merely putting it off to allow him a longer hardcover run on the bestseller lists. I recently had to wait a few weeks for another author's latest to show up in the Kindle store.

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 10:03:00 AM PST
Pattie Burns says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 2:45:17 PM PST
Until I can read this on my Kindle, I will be giving my money to other authors.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 7:36:12 AM PST
I am from the old school, I love to read. I love the feel of a book in
my hands and the smell of the paper. somehow reading off a sterile
electronic device just does not give me the same feeling. I am never happier then wondereing around a book store and If I am real lucky
sometime I run into an old bookstore and then my day is made

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2009 5:45:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2009 2:22:11 PM PDT
I totally agree with the pro-Kindle posts. I have bought 50 Kindle books in 14 months and no other types, and will not. I also have recently discovered that hyper reviews should be suspect, and so Amazon has that issue to deal with as well. I am pleased there is a fabulous new way to publish, and look forward to what's ahead. But let's see these problems fixed first. Starting with a Grisham Kindle. I'll even buy the one so many people are now panning.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 5:10:29 AM PST
S. James says:
I just got my Kindle 2 last week (love it!) but was really perturbed that there were no John Grisham books to be had on the Kindle store. I'm now concerned that I might not be able to find other books on the Kindle. Are there any other major authors who aren't putting their books on Kindle?

Posted on Mar 4, 2009 1:12:21 PM PST
S. Thomas says:
I, too, am a huge Grisham fan. It seems to me that providing books for Kindle would be even more profitable for authors. For instance, if one person buys the newest hard back at $17 and then passes it around to five people (which I do with family and friends) they've spent a total of $17. But if those same five people own a Kindle, you can't practically share the book so five people are going to pay $10 each to load it on their Kindle - that's $70 vs $17. Makes sense to me to put it on Kindle.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 12:33:13 PM PST
M. Mather says:
I am now a kindle snob...if I can't read it on my kindle I just won't read it. I hope Grisham works something out with Amazon or I won't be reading his books any longer!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 12:44:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2009 12:45:23 PM PST
JoAnn Ross says:
I'm the same way. In fact, recently I had to judge some books for a contest, and came very close to actually buying copies of the books I'd been sent so I could just read them on my kindle. But there were eight and I wasn't sure how well I'd liked them, so I resisted the temptation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 12:51:33 PM PST
JoAnn Ross says:
I NEVER thought I'd read from an electronic device, but the kindle has actually enhanced my experience. One of the perks I didn't expect was that I can read it with one hand while drinking tea or wine with the other, instead of putting the book down, picking up the cup, taking a sip, putting the cup back down, then picking up the book again, finding my place, etc. etc.

Also, although you can kind of track where you are in a book, since you can change font size (which my husband, whose eyes are tired at the end of the day and likes being able to make his larger), there are no page numbers. So, oddly, I find myself more immersed in the story because I'm not checking to see how many pages are left and wondering how the author is going to wrap things up. (Sort of like knowing that, fifty minutes into the program, they've only ten more minutes left to solve the crime and catch the bad buys on CSI.) I just follow the characters along on their journey. It's very satisfying. And no, Jeff Bezos did not pay me to say this. :)

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 3:24:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2009 4:00:43 PM PDT
I like to read in bed, and on my side, so the convenience factor of one-handed reading is especially valued. I read on the train as well and the Kindle is similarly ideal for that while hanging on a strap. The new Kindle's slim profile and lighter weight are both attractive for tucking in a bag. I'd like the price down even more for that, since I have both the original and now can also read my Kindle books on my iPhone. Talk about convenience!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 3:40:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2009 11:12:57 PM PST
"But if those same five people own a Kindle, you can't practically share the book so five people are going to pay $10 each to load it on their Kindle - that's $70 vs $17. Makes sense to me to put it on Kindle."

Yes. It also pushes people into buying their own Kindle, thus the pool grows and grows. Those authors who are early to join the Kindle listings will have an appreciative fan base.

My own case in point is that I had given up completely on Stephen King, but have bought two of his Kindle books in the past year. I am back to liking him.

The downside for them are all the great classics they now have to compete against as Kindle choices. And those are typically cheaper.

BUT -- and this is huge -- a hungry new fan will be highly inclined to buy an author's earlier titles, and will naturally buy them off the Kindle list, rather than go to a used books store where the author gets zero money. Why would Grisham, or any other established writer, shy away from that?

I wrote the above post last year.

About 4 months ago I read one Michael Connelly "Harry Bosch" detective novel and liked it so much that I have now read 12 of them in the 14-novel series.

Talk about putting money where my mouth is... but with absolutely no regrets. I just wonder what I'll do when No. 14 is finished?

Write faster, Mr. Connelly -- please!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2009 5:18:32 PM PST
JoAnn Ross says:
Oh, I hadn't even thought about how well that would work on a train. I know a top NY agent who doesn't read hard copy manuscripts anymore. She puts all her authors mss on her kindle, makes notes, then sends the notes back to them. I wonder if she's reading on the train?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2009 7:47:09 AM PDT
J. K. Rowling does not have her books on Kindle. Anyone else that I read is on Kindle. I understand that Oprah will not name a book for her club unless it is available on the Kindle.

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 9:04:33 AM PDT
I am preparing to go on vacation and was planning to buy the new Grisham novel. I have never purchased one because I have always gotten his books free from the local library. It is just more convenient to not have to pack multiple books so I purchasing a couple. He is missing the point that customers like me would represent additional revenue - not discounted. I would not buy his new novel in hardcover anyway, but I would have purchased the kindle version. He is also missing the fact that kindle users can not share the book with others so if they like it and tell people, they would have to purchase also.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 4:30:30 AM PDT
I just received my Kindle for Christmas and have been loving it. Last night I was shocked to find no Grisham novels - wanted to treat myself to the associate after finishing a non-fiction. I thought I must be searching wrong so even called Amazon. Very disappointing. Looks like I won't be reading his stuff until he gets his act together.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2009 12:50:30 PM PDT
JoAnn Ross says:
Most authors don't have any power over things like this. Like reprinting backlist, it's almost always the publisher's decision. However, at his level, and with his legal background -- along with the fact that his agent is his former editor -- there's always a possibility he has more to say about how his books are published. I, too, was disappointed, whoever made the call.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 4:21:12 PM PDT
Authors and publishers should be rushing to and not away from the Kindle and other ereaders for the simple reason that an e-book (as intellectual property) cannot be resold or handed off for reading by another -- thus denying the publisher or the author of another sale.

How many of us have bought secondhand books without thinking of the fact that that the author makes no money off of the resale of this, his intellectual property? Even Amazon to its discredit facilitates this theft of intellectual property by selling second hand books and audio cds.

Grisham and the publishers of Edward Kennedy's True Compass should realize that a Kindle version of a best seller is not going to end up on the resale market or in another reader's hands while a hardcover or paperback certainly will.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 10:47:13 PM PDT
R. Nazzaro says:
What a poor business decision by Grisham to boycott Kindle! A single copy of a paper book is often read by many people, one royalty payment for perhaps a dozen readers. Yet how many will read my copy-protected Kindle edition? I'm not lending my Kindle out and the copy that I buy will only work on my Kindle, not someone elses. Oh well, Grisham, it's your loss. Now that I own a Kindle I will not let you force me to buy paper books again. If I really want to read your book I'll wait a few months and get a free hand-me-down copy or borrow one from the library when I'm SURE that the demand is low enough so that they won't have to order more copies. You get the idea? You're boycotting Kindle and thousands of Kindle owners will be boycotting you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 11:04:59 AM PDT
Were you a tough sell when the telephone was invented? How about the fact you have a built in dictionary that automatically makes you a more educated reader. Or the fact you can search on a character's name to refresh yourself on how he/she fits into the story. Or the fact you can sample books you probably would have never thought of trying? Hey B.S. - ever heard of embracing technology?

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 4:02:19 AM PST
R. T. Tedrow says:
If true, "authors and publishers feel Kindle and other electronic book owners deserve no discount" should go swimming in the waters downstream from a paper mill.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 12:45:35 PM PST
M. Greer says:
WHAT I LEARNED FROM THIS THREAD
1. The complaint of "self promoting authors". Well, it seems like (a) it balances out with the "haters" reviews, and (b) this thread is no different, it appears to have the same self-promoting Kindle-lovers

2. Many miss the point. Refusing to put books out electronically is about maintaining the integrity of the artistic work. Look what happened to music - the digital revolution killed music sales. All profits now come from tours and other promotions. Sure Kindle makes that difficult now, but certainly a book-napster is right around the corner.

Maybe digital is the future...but you can't blame authors who don't want to see books go the way of music.
Cheers

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 4:18:55 AM PST
Here's part of the logic on pricing, as given by a New York Times article on Dec. 15, 09:

"The skirmish over e-books is part of a larger multidimensional chess match being played among publishers, authors, agents and book retailers. The big publishing houses hate the uniform e-book price of $9.99 that Amazon and others have set for newer titles. Although the retailers are subsidizing that price, executives say they believe that such pricing harms the market for more expensive hardcovers, and some publishers have reacted by announcing they will delay the publication of certain e-books by several months after they are made available in hardcover."

I, for one, do not mind a few months' delay. It certainly gives the reader review process time to let you know whether you want to buy that new title.

Judging from all the negative reviews "The Associate" has gotten this has got to be a good thing -- for US, if not the author.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Associate
Associate by John Grisham (Paperback - October 1, 2009)
2.6 out of 5 stars   (895)