Customer Discussions > Seinfeld: The Complete Series forum

Why do you feel taken advantage of?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2007 11:51:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 12:54:59 PM PST
M. Maxwell says:
People, this complaining about the release of a box set needs to stop.

So you were impatient. You required that your Seinfeld needs be satiated. Well now 3 years after the release of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seasons on DVD we have reached an inevitable conclusion. It is now available as a complete set, at a discounted price (per season).

No one has anything to complain about here. Everyone got what they wanted (eventually). I, the patient and no less "hardcore" Seinfeld fan, finally got my box set after boycotting the individual seasons. I didn't get taken for a ride. I have no use for a miniature puffy shirt. I already own functional salt & pepper shakers.

Those of you who could not wait also got some things I did not - the satisfaction of owning the show on DVD. The ability to watch whatever episode you want, any time you like. Well now I have that too.

Consumers tend to blame the TV studio for being greedy. They are not greedy, just savvy. They know that there are impulsive, hasty buyers out there who will line up to slap down their hard-hustled scratch the moment they can. If the studio releases one season at a time, they will maximize sales. Flooding the market with all seasons at once would reduce demand. This is not sneaky or underhanded. It's Marketing 101 and many, many people fell for it.

The bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, there's no rip-off here - only resentment that the stupidity of the consumer has been exposed. By definition a rip-off is offering something for a price above it's value. If it was a rip-off for the studio to release all seasons separately and sequentially, then the Seinfeld series would have sold dismally on DVD. It has not.

Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 12:23:44 PM PST
C Leonard says:
I am a die-hard fan and I had no problem buying each one when they came out. I dont care about a box set all I cared about was when the next season comes out and when Im going to get it. I finally have all the seasons on dvd and now my collection is complete! If you complain about the release of a box set then you were not a true fan of the show cause If you were than you would of had to have whatever season was available at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 12:30:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 12:56:50 PM PST
M. Maxwell says:
Now that is a more reasonable perspective. If you are OK with the fact that cumulatively speaking the individual sets cost more than the box, then so be it. You benefitted by watching the first few seasons a lot earlier than myself.

It's those who actually complain as though they have been wronged in some way that need to look at the situation again. In mean, are these people so hard up for watching Seinfeld that the dozen re-runs a day on TV isn't enough to tide them over until the box set release?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 3:04:15 PM PST
Amber Karlin says:
I'm with you on this. The thing that shocks me is that people who feel ripped off are rating the complete box set with 1 star, as if the shoppers on amazon have anything to do with the "true fan"'s crusade to stop good marketing. I bought the shows as they came out, was happy to buy the seasons, knowing full well that a box set just like this would come out and I would be somewhat of a sucker. I did the same thing with the Lord of the Rings movies and several other TV shows. I didn't get ripped off, I didn't get screwed, I got my products earlier and for a price I found to be fair. Now that Seinfeld is discounted, other people who prefer savings to timeliness will have the chance to buy the show in a manner that suits them. People being dismayed at this system...it just blows me away. Oye.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 3:35:49 PM PST
I agree fully, and appreciate your taking the time to point this out. When I did a search on Seinfeld, hoping to find the price of the complete series boxed set, I was a bit shocked to see it had a lower rating than I had anticipated.

After reading a few reviews, it soon became evident that the lower ratings are written by short sighted individuals who are more than happy to publicly demonstrate their lack of planning and forethought.

Personally, I find this highly amusing, and feel compelled to point out a few more facts.

1) The complete series boxed set does not contain extra Seinfeld episodes that are exclusive to this set. It contains exactly the same episodes released in individual DVD's and smaller sets.

2) The trinkets and commentaries included with various sets are marketing tools, meant to make the set more appealing to the buyer. If a buyer is disappointed because they didn't receive some of these with their chosen method of purchasing their collection, I advise trying eBay.

3) As far as I know, nobody has ever been forced to purchase a Seinfeld DVD or DVD set. I feel confident in saying that every single time any Seinfeld DVD's have been purchased, the buyer was able to freely make this decision at will.

4) Waiting for the complete series DVD set was not difficult for the majority of television owners, due to the fact that on any given day, Seinfeld is shown multiple times on various networks in syndication. In this age of Tivo, I sincerely doubt many have suffered in awaiting the release of this complete DVD set.

5) Giving the complete DVD set a low rating, based solely on the fact that you are upset because you are just now realizing you made poor shopping decisions in the past, is poor form. It also has the potential to make you look like a whining idiot, which in turn results in people like me, laughing and laughing at you.

6) If you are unsatisfied with your chosen method of purchasing the series, due to ignorance of how television series are sold, impatience, or a lack of access to broadcast television networks (yet the ability to go shopping), then please, find some perspective in your life, and realize this is a minor setback in the grand scheme of things. Writing a nasty review about how you feel you've been wronged will not ease your pain.

It will not prevent others from making their own purchasing decisions despite you. It will not fill that empty void in your world, borne out of your despair at not having gotten every available Seinfeld moment or trinket known to mankind. Perhaps, when we all gather around the Festivus pole, you will be chosen first to air your grievances, and the healing can finally begin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 5:31:35 PM PST
Mat D. says:
I fully agree. Those reviews should be removed by amazon. They are irrelevant to the quality of the product.
If they have to complaint they should complain to Sony not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 11:17:58 AM PST
Thöm Frost says:
I bought each epsode as it came out on dvd and I also bought this and probably get the special aniversery dvd box set when it comes out in a few years. I enjoy the show and anyone thats a true fan shouldn't feel taken because now they relesed the box set. The people that are wineing now about getting it are just like the stupid people that stood in line for days just to get a iPhone and are now crying because they lowered the price. If you buy something and you want and like it then why complain if you paid more or what not enjoy it and be happy, and plus there was no telling that they would make a box set I am still wating on box sets of other shows. Plus selling individual gives someone the chance that likes the show but cant afford to spend $200+ all at once for the dvd's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 11:50:08 PM PST
The problem I have is that if everyone begins to wait for a set like this.. it won't happen because the studio will say that no one is buying the stand alone releases. Then if we do buy them we'll end up having to see something like this. I did buy every set of The Andy Griffith Show and the complete series but I do feel that ultimately paying a couple hundred dollars for "Return to Mayberry" (the only extra I didn't already have.) is a bit hard to swallow. I love Seinfeld and have all the other gift sets and such and will probably buy this too. But, do you see that if we wait, we're screwed and if we don't we're screwed. Consumers are buy-weary because of multiple dipping on dvds anyway so it's really not fair for the fans to be taken advantage of. They should make the coffee table book and roundtable available seperately then everyone is happy. Thank you kindly for your time and patience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 4:04:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2007 4:05:21 PM PST
M. Maxwell says:
P Daniel I hear ya, I guess my own strategy was to wait and let everyone else do the buying, assuming that the box set would be inevitable. Since Seinfeld is one of if not the most successful TV series of all time, I was pretty confident this would happen.

However we live in a very "connected" world. It's pretty easy to flood the production company with complaints and requests for them to release the box set and if they have any sense whatsoever, they'll get the picture when they see sales dragging.

I suppose I am of the philosophy "vote with your wallet". There are a few companies I won't buy from at all now (at least new products) because of their shady business practices. Believe me it is an inconvenience. If consumers as a whole took a stand and were more vocal about wanting box sets to be released along with individual seasons, who knows? We might get what we want.

The above view is a bit utopian and maybe wishful thinking, but just look at how the music industry has changed due to the changing demand for music what with the advent of file sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 6:09:22 PM PST
John Webber says:
What are your thoughts about Sony offering Season 9 with the book and special cover to appease all of us who previously bought Seasons 1-8? This seems like a reasonable compromise. I fall somewhere in the middle of this discussion: I did purchase individual seasons but waited for them to go on sale at Wal Mart or Sam's Club for about 17 dollars a season, which by the way was well worth it to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007 5:20:45 PM PST
I personally think they should have just released the whole set from the beginning. I dont care about the extras really but the packaging is a different story and it sucks not to have it just because they're greedy. and btw, ppl who have bought this and didnt buy the individual sets, not everyone has to feel like you do. its not impatience. its not like they announced they would be releasing a complete box so stop talking down to the buyers of the individual sets acting like you're better just because you didnt buy them one-by-one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 2:38:31 PM PST
GiMgAk says:
I agree with M. Maxwell 100%
So if i buy a game the first day it comes out and then in 2 months they make a special edition of the game with like 2 extra lvs I am ripped off? ROFL @ anyone who thinks like that

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 8:06:26 PM PST
K. Hardaway says:
Hmm, I can definately understand irate fans pov. Mainly you feel stupid or cheated I guess. But really, 1. that's no reason to rate the set lower, 2. it's almost common sense to just wait, and 3. the show does air like 3 times a day...chill.

Now my anger would come in with older shows that say, you've been dying to have released for maybe decades. That's where I could get caught up. I generally am the patient type to wait. For things like this or x-files, I've just been waiting around for complete sets. Well, it's probably mainly cheapness lol. Shows that had almost 10 seasons...I'm just NOT gonna be paying for each one. So I wait.

But, I just know that if they were to start releasing Wonder Years seasons, I'd be the first idiot buying them up, then kicking myself when the whole series gets released. It's tough for older shows that you've been dying for.

But for these newer shows (same goes for raymond, friends, frasier), it's really just a wait and see game on complete sets. And everyone should know that. But, I do get the anger though. And in a way, it's not fair (smart, but not fair).

The fair thing to do would be to release the complete set, as well as individual seasons (some people may only want one or 2, or not have the money for the complete set, so you'd still make money off of both groups, just not as much). Oh well. That's probably not gonna happen, so maybe people can at least anticipate this going in, and not just jump at individual seasons. Although as someone else pointed out, if not enough people buy the individual seasons, then they might just stop releasing them altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2008 9:59:44 PM PDT
Mr. says:
FOX at least had the decency to release the bonus discs from the complete M*A*S*H boxset along with the final episode of the series as a stand alone release so the fans who bought the individual sets could get their hands on them at a much more reasonable price.

Peter Jackson was kind enough to offer fans who bought the extended cuts of Lord Of The Rings, individually, the opportunity to mail away for the complete empty box cover instead of buying all three of the films all over again in order to get it.

This is why a lot of Seinfeld fans are upset. If Sony would offer the "Roundtable" book, bonus disc, and offer a mail away offer for empty boxsets of the complete series, everyone would be happy. If FOX and Peter Jackson are willing to do that, why can't Sony and every other Studio for that matter? It's really not too much to ask.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2008 2:19:32 PM PDT
"Patience is a virtue which give rewards for those who wait". And in this case it paid-off with this excellente box set, if somebody wants it and have the previous seasons each separately, then sell your used dvd's and buy it, by the way, Amazon just droped the price almost about half of what it used to be, so don't complain and enjoy this series for the sake of good entertainment.

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 1:16:42 PM PDT
R. Reed says:
Matthew Brister said "its not impatience. its not like they announced they would be releasing a complete box" Yeah, you are right - they have never done this before with any other TV show, let alone one of the most popular shows ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 10:43:41 AM PDT
Jim Beck says:
Mr. Brister, are you being serious? "It's not like they announced they would be releasing a complete box..." Are you KIDDING me? They do this on nearly EVERY show. It's not like they created a new DVD release model. X-Files, Buffy, Angel, Farscape, King of Queens, Friends ... all of those had individual seasons first, then a complete set.

I have always been a HUGE Seinfeld fan. I even signed an online petition to get them to release the shows on DVD. When they finally released seasons 1&2, I thought about buying them, but decided to hold off until they were finished with all the seasons, because I KNEW that they would release a complete set.

I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm just explaining that the marketing model for DVD's for the past decade has been just like this. Sony didn't do anything wrong. The way I look at it is that fans who bought the individual sets got to watch all the episodes for years before I got to enjoy them on DVD. Of course, I always could have rented them from Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 8:39:40 AM PDT
1st of all, that is talking down to me. secondly, no I am not kidding. it is ridiculous to hold off for years. if they are gonna release the series in complete sets. they should just release both the whole series and individual seasons so the option is there. I had no knowledge of complete sets before Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfeld. at least not in reference to season releases. this half-baked marketing ploy is ridiculous. either do it or don't. procrasination in this way is unacceptable. and you are right sony didnt do anything wrong. they did EVERYTHING wrong. and for the record, I didnt know they would. there are tons of shows that dont even get finished. so what, I should wait 30 years for complete sets of those? its absurd. and they wonder why ppl actually download from the net instead of buying?! all these companies need to get their act together and stop slacking off. once again do it or don't. that's the only issue. there doesnt need to be a when. all or nothing from day one. nothing else will do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 6:27:53 AM PST
Well said "digitalnicotine" Last paragraph is priceless. Thx.

Sonoftony

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 8:49:21 PM PST
I ran into this problem when I started getting the "Friends" shows. I was up to season 7 and then they came out with the complete set... so I just had to suck it up and get the rest of the seasons. I ended up getting Season's 1 & 2 of Everybody Loves Raymond. I'm usually not the patient type and have to have it right away... ex. The latest and greatest gaming system. My birthday being 1 month before Christmas, all the cool stuff comes out one week before my birthday, and before I had my baby, I would wait in line to get it. Today I finally got Seinfeld for the low price of $85.00.... I was content watching all the reruns... and when I saw this bargain price, I just treated myself. I will never buy a single season again on it's own, and just wait for the complete series. I have learned however, if you see any of the goold old cartoons from yesteryear, but it when you first see it. I refuse to pay $139 for 22 episodes of Inspector Gadget, no matter how much I loved it and want for my child to watch it to. Oh well, he gets to see the Gummi Bears, as does my niece when she gets it for her birthday next month.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 9:34:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 10, 2009 9:35:09 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Seinfeld: The Complete Series
Seinfeld: The Complete Series by Jerry Seinfeld (DVD - 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (367)