Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

on January 10, 2011
Been shopping around for ice makers for a while and all things considered this Whynter ice maker was by far the best value in terms of what I was looking for. This is not a heavy duty commercial output ice maker, but for a average user this is more than you would need. It starts of slow, but once the cycles get going the ice just keeps coming. Nice stainless steel door that looks a whole lot better than the boxy portables types. It's a nice size that fits in our bar counter perfectly. I bought a hose adaptor from the hardware store so that I can bring it out to the patio when needed.

This is a great value built-in. It's easy enough to install with zero handiness required. I had a couple of clarifications that Whynter customer support addressed perfectly. This has worked nicely through three holiday parties and one birthday party. Will update if anything changes.
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2011
Whynter UIM-155 Stainless Steel Built-In Ice Maker

Surprisingly compact, it can fit just about any space. What was most important was that it could be used undercounter (front venting). It sits a little short for your standard height counter but it's not a big deal to me. Doesn't look too shabby either. Compared to many undercounter ice makers out there, this is a great priced item. I didn't expect it to be able to keep ice frozen in the compartment but it does!

The unit comes with a standard direct water tube, but I would get a connector or fastener of my own preference. Be extra careful to securely fasten the the tube to the unit and obviously check for leaks at both ends. Simple enough but it does require some diligence. Instructions are passable but if you know what you're doing, you probably wont bother with it.

The ice does take a while to accumulate so start it early and you'll be set. I more than pleased with this so far and would say it's a good buy.
on March 21, 2014
I searched and searched everywhere for a drain-less, under counter ice maker, and this was the only model I could find. So I bought it and installed in my wet bar. Installation was easy - just used a standard ice maker hose (like you use on a refrigerator) and plug it in to an electrical socket. The first day, it filled up completely within 24 hours. After several months, it is running great. The ice is in half-moon shaped cubes, and is somewhat soft. The compressor kicks on periodically to keep it frozen, but since I have it under the counter, I barely hear it (I don't hear it at all when the TV is on). When full, it holds a decent amount of ice (I'd say about one Igloo Playmate cooler full).

I can't believe these are not more popular. I don't understand why all other ice makers have drains - so you make the ice, then slowly watch it melt away. Not efficient and the potential for plumbing/leak issues is high. This little ice maker is simple, easy, and cheap. Highly recommend.
on July 2, 2012
Purchased this item for my office and the machine is superlative in every way. A few of the previous reviews made me hesitate but I am so very happy that I ordered it anyway. We go through a large amount of ice every day, seven days a week, and have never run out. I cannot recommend this product highly enough!
on July 19, 2011
First things first, this is not a high capapcity ice maker. If you are counting on this for enough ice for a party (especially here in Texas) you underestimate the amount of ice you need. That being said. It makes about 12-14 pounds of ice in a day, so if we are having a party we capture a couple of bags of cubes ahead of time. The only slight complaint is that you have to occasionally defrost, I understand that is the tradeoff for not having to deal with installing a drain. For daily use, this definitely stays ahead of the family.

Update:

After a little more than a year (factory warranty) the compressor on this unite completely died. While it was working, it was great but 14 months and I am back to the drawing board.
on September 29, 2013
We reno'd our 2nd fixer upper home in a nice neighborhood and added a small indoor/outdoor kitchen area which was perfect for entertaining. Problem was the actual kitchen was on the other side of the house. Did not want to spend big money on one of those U-line machines and was not crazy about those mini counter type machines either. This was slightly undersized but was exactly what we had in mind. The Whynter size was perfect for a small spot we designed under the bar sink. Was worried when it only dropped a few pieces of ice after a few hours but let it run all day. To our surprise the bucket was completely filled in the evening. I guess it just had to get warmed up and going. At this price I think we're quite happy with this undercounter ice maker and if we need to do something similar, I would not mind getting another.
on November 20, 2012
Bought this instead of a $1200 built in and it works great. An easy install for anyone that can install an icemaker line for their fridge.
on March 30, 2015
I bought this as we seem to always be in need of extra ice since we bought the fancy french door refrigerator with the ice maker in the door. What they don't tell you when you buy one of those beasts is that the ice maker in them is tiny. We live on the water and spend a lot of time in our boat, so we're always lugging coolers to the local ice place and buying bulk bags. No longer!! This thing CRANKS out the ice and, even though I've only owned it for a week, I don't know how I ever lived without it. I've filled three 20 pound bags and placed two of them in our chest freezer and the other in our fridge for when the fridge can't keep up.

I bought the two year service plan on it just in case, and will update the review every 6 months or when appropriate.
on March 12, 2013
I purchased this for the convenience of having an Ice Maker...what can I say, I LOVE IT!!!!! It took me a while to get it set up (having some kitchen remodeling done) but once it was in, made the ice quickly and was ready to use ASAP
on January 3, 2014
This is basically a standard ice maker you find in any freezer.
Creates 3lbs of ice and stops... no drips, no problems.
Unit is smaller than you might think, so small it might be a problem putting under a counter.
Based on the next units up all have reviews of dying after 90 days - I stuck with this cheaper one.