Wi-Fi seems SPOTTY, doesn't it? Wi-Fi seems SPOTTY, doesn't it?

I have a WD TV Live and i get exceptional wi-fi coverage in my bed room, but my Roku is another story when in the bedroom. It seems to only function when i have the ethernet plugged in. Does the Roku XS need a dual band wi-fi router or something? I am not up with the tech lingo, so can someone help me? I have a cheap 40.00 Netgear router, but it has done me justice for many years. I don't understand the Wi-Fi B/G/N stuff. Can someone help? I don't get why my WD works in the bedroom and the Roku doesn't.
[UPDATED] asked by Always Samsung on February 26, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Here is the thing, wifi N is the new standard for wifi, it delivers a more stable, higher bandwidth signal from 150mbps to 300 mbps. Compare this to a 54g router and you can easily see that wifi N will give you nearly 3 times faster download speeds. Not only that, it is also more stable and with better signal penetration depending on your router. Essentially, you should upgrade to a wifi N router and try that with your roku before making a judgement on it's wifi quality. My guess is that will resolve your signal issues.
LIFE IS GOOD answered on March 11, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That's great to hear, I had to upgrade to a N router 2 years ago and streaming has been awesome with all my devices.
LIFE IS GOOD answered on March 18, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just got a new Netgear router and it finally works. My old Netgear was just a G-router. I guess Roku doesn't acknowledge G.
Always Samsung answered on March 20, 2012

A
Not spotty at all for me I have a Cisco Valet and I've NEVER had a problem with it and the Roku. My router is the farthest from my TV in the living room where I do most my watching, zero issues with it and I have the blue/white Valet.
Yarii answered on March 26, 2012

A
I got a new netgear router and now the Roku player never has any issue. I guess cause my old router was only a Netgear G router. It wasn't B/G/N etc.
Always Samsung answered on March 17, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have a Roku sitting right next to my PS3 and the wifi is better on the Roku. I've never had even a slight problem.
Josh answered on March 26, 2012

A
I have the solution. You need a Linksys media connector bridge. This is a device that is built for video streaming. Creates a very good wi-fi connection for any device with enabled Ethernet port like the Roku. I was getting ok wi-fi with Roku and Linksys AC router, but once I put in WES610N device into the mix, video streaming became A+. Example. Roku now has Vudu. I was able to get SD to low HD with Roku's built-in wi-fi, but once I added in the WES610N and used Roku's ethernet port for connection, then was able to get HDX Vudu streaming which is 1080p with full bars. Was told this is due to Roku having very low powered wi-fi radio. The WES610 from linksys have more powerful radio and chipset to make best wi-fi connection. In my living room I use the new wireless-ac linksys wumc710 for my dish network dvr vip922 and lg blu-ray with netflix and vudu video streaming. Recommend going with these linksys media connectors to make video streaming run A+.
John McGovern answered on September 30, 2012

A
my router is under 6 months old, and the roku does not work with it and it's 6 feet away.
Sue Hudson "dog lover" answered on March 9, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›