5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for PHP programmers
I saw this book on a friends desk and shamelessly took it before he had a chance to read it. I have many php books on my bookshelf, too many. I can now remove quite a few and replace them with this book.

Published on March 26, 2008 by Jay Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars good start..
Published on March 21, 2010 by Stephanie Wilkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for PHP programmers, March 26, 2008
Jay Taylor (Twin Cities, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems (Paperback)

When I first glanced through this book, I was intrigued by the way it was laid out. There are 12 chapters covering many topics that php programmers should know about their language and how browsers interact with a web server using php. Each chapter has many sections that cover a specific topic and most have very useful code examples. The extra feature is a part labeled: "What can go Wrong?". This is a great time saver on how to deal with common issues that might come up when you are working on your php script and implementing the example code. Most of the issues have really good explanations of how and why something could go wrong. What makes this book a real keeper is that they have the "why" explanations. I've always hated it when books tell you to do something a certain way, but never go into any depth on WHY you should do it one way or another. This book has the WHY covered very well for a great number of the examples.

The style of the book makes it easy to read and learn from the examples. In my case, it makes it easy to pickup, read a few pages when I get the chance and then put it down again. I find it easy to pick up right where I left off and keep reading right on to the next example. I like the humor level too. Often authors can get a little too cutesy with their wit and humor. I find that to be a real turn off. William and Brian (The authors) do a great job of keeping the humor light and laughable.

I just made some room on my busy book shelf for this book of 76 time-saving, problem-solving php scripts. I hope my friend doesn't ask for it back...

3.0 out of 5 stars good start.., March 21, 2010
This book is a good start to learning some cool php scripts, but I found myself spending lots of time on google and other sites to actually get any of it to work. A few apis are used that are outdated, like yahoo and google maps. Additionally, the book has quite a few spelling errors and at times can be hard to follow (ie. what function goes in what file, when did the author break code into multiple files, etc. If you don't mind looking around online, this book gives you some neat ideas for cool php scripts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Become A PHP WaRRioR!!!, March 19, 2008
Dan McKinnon (Tewksbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
'Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems' is a fantastic PHP cookbook that is written exactly the way I like books to be written:

- it's fun to read and learn from
- content is broken up logically at the right points
- layout and design is a joy on the eyes and brain
- length is around 200 pages which is within the 2-3 (hundred) range that I like most books to be

Content is broken up over 12 chapters:

09. Email Excitement
10. Image Tasks
11. Using cURL to talk to web services
12. Other Stuff

The audience for this book hits the rare area of ALL developers from the expert to the newbie to the weekend hacker. There are 76 scripts contained within that nearly anyone could find useful in any project.

I love No Starch books because they don't feel like reference materials, rather they package it in a fun way from the glossy cover to smart design. No Starch gets 'it' when it comes to what geeks want and PHPites you will WANT this book!!

***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jump start into the world of PHP, May 12, 2009
GJ Caesar (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I had a background in HTML/CSS and Actionscript but had never done much with PHP. I was looking for a book with simple, real world examples that would get me moving in the right direction. This was that book. After quickly digesting several of the short, well written chapters, I was able to do a few things that I wanted to do as well as several things I never dreamed of. This book gave me enough of a start that I now feel comfortable using the vast array of free PHP resources available on the web to continue my learning. This is a not a reference manual or a tome on PHP/MySQL application development, but it's a great entry into working with PHP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, March 23, 2010
knrd (NY/London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked Cool PHP (Kindle Edition)
This is probably the first time reviews on amazon completely failed me. if you have any coding experience at all, php or otherwise, move on. if you want proper syntax/style, move on. if you have access to [...] or even Google, do so as well. there is nothing in this book that you will not get for free on any random coding related site, except it being free, updated and better. now, if you don't mind paying for crappy content you may get something out of it if you haven't moved passed the "hello world" tutorial.

[edit] Two years later and they are still selling the original edition.

The author claims they don't focus on PHP basics, but rather they provide scripts that can be implemented. Yet a large portions are pretty much function descriptions pulled from php.net:

#4 is print_r();
#14 is register_globals = off
#15 magic_quotes_gpc = 1
#16 open_basedir
#34 is substr()
#35 is strtolower(), strtoupper() and ucwords()

Then they have sections on creating an array from a form via input_field[] (#27), accessing named form buttons (spoiler, $_POST['name']) or how to check if a data is in the past (wicked cool solution #31). They even provide some impressive regular expressions for validating emails and phone numbers: The former accepts complete gibberish while the latter returns any phone number with 10 digits (or 11 with leading 1) as valid.

Wicked Cool PHP is part PHP manual and part embarrassingly simple "solutions". And then there's the plain bad style such as accessing a string literal array index without quotes ($row[product_name]) or claiming that there is no security issue with the $_REQUEST array (#25 - There has been some debate on how safe $_REQUEST is, but there shouldn't be. ).

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely laid out but not Wicked Cool, September 9, 2009
Chris Geo "Chris" (Montreal, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
Pros: The book is fun and easy to ready.
Cons: Teaches some bad coding styles and has a number of spelling mistakes. eg. Reg Ex for validating email has a typo making it useless.

Overall: More for beginners just starting to put what they know into practice. The code provided isn't ready for production environment.

1.0 out of 5 stars not for people whose knowledge more than avarage, July 20, 2009
writer collected some low level scripts that you can find from everywhere.
my expectation was to find some cool and well designed and deliberated scripts that people developed while developing projects

i was disapointed, it was a bad idea to buy if you know php at least more that beginner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, October 19, 2011
This is a great resource for beginning PHP developers, although most of the information is probably already known by more skilled practitioners (with the possible exception of some of the more advanced RegEx examples).

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Cool PHP - Great Book!, November 10, 2009
This book offered me examples i badly needed to complete my online class assignment project.

The examples are easy and well explained, so buying this book will not cause you to have any remorse for buying stuff that confuses you. This is the book where you get all the explanations. Even when the script is self explanatory the author takes no chances.. he explains it! One thing to note is that this book is for people who already have some knowledge about PHP.

Highly recommend it.
Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook for both new and expereinced coders, October 21, 2009
Rolf Ernst (Frisco, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I have coded a good deal in PHP and read a lot of literature on the language along the way. On one's way of coding this or that web site most programmers run across the same challenges, often simple problems but without an elegant solution or at least not an obvious and handy one. The book appears to be written by experienced coders that have collected their slickest solutions to these problems and structured them into an easy to read format. As an example: How do I convert plain-text with line breaks into HTML markup? Sounds easy enough until one looks at the variety of pitfalls that this problem has. The authors offer an extremely elegant approach to this (function), which, while admittedly not of their own making, appears to me as unique. One cannot appreciate these little gems without paying attention to the detail.

The book covers quite a bit of ground and is not targeting an audience of complete newcomers to the language but those that have coded before and and are now wondering 'whether there wasn't a better way of doing things'.

The books is well written and reads easily. It is entirely pragmatic, the authors are not peddling programming ideology but present solutions to everyday problems. Most solutions point out their limitations and caveats and potential ways of improving upon them after clarifying the principles.

I have read this book rather rapidly, probably due to its informal style, almost entertaining. I only realized in hindsight my desire to go back and change this or that portion of code I have written in the past to improve upon simplicity, readability and reliability. Now having digested the material I am quite sure I will reference it again when running across the outlined areas again.

It's a definite thumbs up for a no-nonsense approach to everyday PHP programming challenges.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems
Wicked Cool PHP: Real-World Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems by William Steinmetz (Paperback - February 19, 2008)
$29.95 $21.36