Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on April 14, 2010
This book is a quick, easy, enjoyable read. In the "Twilightesque" fashion, it is about a high school girl, with an uncommon ability (in this case to see the invisible world of faeries) and someone of the supernatural realm finds her desirable. I am a voracious reader, which means I read alot of books that I don't always care for and across all genres. This book kept me interested from beginning to end. Could the author have developed the characters more, better transitions? Sure, but it was still a good, light, entertaining read...AND, here is the important part, it was free for my kindle--the hook worked, I would (will) purchase the other books in this series and would actually search out more by the author--which means that it was a success. As for the bonus materials--it didn't make a difference to me, but I am one of those people who doesn't watch the deleted scenes on DVDs, so it wasn't really a BONUS for me. If you like the fantasy genre, and need something to keep you interested for a long trip or weekend at the beach--this is a good choice!
0Comment85 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2007
Aislinn has always followed the rules. Her Grandmother has drilled them into her since she was a young child. Don't stare at invisible faeries. Don't speak to invisible faeries. Don't ever attract the faeries' attention. Aislinn has developed the skill to ignore them. She walks past them without flinching, even when the faeries are pinching or touching others around her like they love to do.

Faeries come in many shapes and sizes and Aislinn has seen them all. She's seen them in the glamours they wear in order to pass as humans and can pick one out of a crowd even when they are trying to blend in. Aislinn has never been surprised by what she has seen them do - that is, until they start breaking the rules.

Faeries don't like steel. It causes them pain and weakens them. Because of that, Aislinn's "safe" place has always been Seth's house. Seth is a long-time friend who happens to live in a converted steel train car. Aislinn always knew that if she could make it there she'd have peace, because the faeries could never follow her into the train yard. But, something has changed. They are creeping closer and closer and paying more attention to her. They are even gathering outside Seth's place.

Aislinn really begins to worry when two faeries, Keenan and Donia, approach her and speak directly to her. She gets away from them as quickly as possible, now hyper-aware of the growing number of faeries surrounding and following her. She hears them say things like, "Do you think she's the one?" Aislinn realizes that in order to figure out what they want from her she is going to have to break the rules she's grown up with all of her life.

Keenan is the Summer King. His mother, the Winter Queen, has limited his powers and is slowly taking over the elements. Days are colder and eventually everything will be covered in ice, unless Keenan finds the girl who is meant to be his Summer Queen. Together they would have the power to overcome the Winter Queen's chill. Keenan thinks Aislinn is the one and she is in danger because of it. The Winter Queen will do everything she can to prevent her son from getting the power he needs to overthrow her. Another problem, of course, is that Aislinn doesn't want to be Summer Queen. She has avoided faeries all of her life and she sure doesn't want to become one now. Especially when her feelings for Seth have developed into more than friendship - and becoming the Summer Queen would mean spending an eternity with Keenan.

Melissa Marr has written a wonderfully inventive story that incorporates actual quotes from books written on the subject of faeries dating back to the 1800's. Her ability to keep a complicated story with several important characters clear to the reader is phenomenal. The relationship she creates between Aislinn and Seth is heartwarming, leading the reader to fall in love right along with them. If you aren't usually a fan of faerie stories, you might want to give this one a try. The blending of the realistic world and the world of the fey is masterfully done. You'll almost believe faeries are all around you.

Reviewed by: Karin Perry
0Comment118 of 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2007
Aislinn is used to following three rules: don't stare at invisible faeries, don't speak to invisible faeries, and don't ever attract their attention. But suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore. Everything now is on the line: her freedom; her best friend Seth; her life; everything.

Keenan, the Summer King, has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her summer will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become his Summer Queen at any cost--regardless of her plans or desires.

Similar to Holly Black's TITHE and VALIANT, this urban fantasy follows Aislinn as she fights against a persistent Keenan and the idea of turning into the very thing she'd fought against for so long.

Melissa Marr has done a great job of weaving into her tale the world of faery. One of my favorite scenes is the faery-run carnival that only Aislinn can see. I doubt I'll ever look at a carnival in the same way again without wondering if a faery lurks close by! The author has painted a very vivid world of 1800's style faeries colliding with our modern world.

The problem I had with this story is I couldn't connect with the main character. I wanted to see why Keenan had such an attraction to Aislinn and not someone else. Aislinn's tough girl character was believable but she just seemed to be going through the motions without any real emotion to what was happening around her. Seth, her best friend, also was hard to connect with. There is some chemistry later on between the two but the real tension and conflict is between both Keenan and Donia.

The strength of this novel comes from Donia, one mortal who pays a terrible price for her love of Keenan. I loved this character and felt her pain and anguish as she watched the one she loved go after another. I found myself turning the pages, following both Donia and Keenan. I almost felt this was their story and not Aislinn's.

WICKED LOVELY is for those that like urban fantasies and want an escape into the land of faery.
0Comment44 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
This was my first faerie/fey book, and what a great introduction it was. I had been reluctant to read this type of book for fear that I just wouldn't be able to relate to the characters. Melissa Marr does a wonderful job at creating this world, while still retaining quite a bit of humanity. Aislinn has always been able to see and ignore faeries, but what happens when one (a king at that) takes an interest in her? This book reads literally like a grown up fairy tale. There's magic, good vs evil battles, romance and a whole lot of tension... I was captivated from start to finish. On a side note, I really enjoyed that this is a series novel, but could be read as a stand-alone as well. It felt complete, whereas so many of the YA series books, do not. 4/5 stars.
on July 18, 2007
When looking for a new fantasy book online, Wicked Lovely struck me as the perfect "urban fantasy" novel. After reading the excerpt from the book I immediately wanted to read more. Now that I have finished reading the book I'm left completely parched. While reading this book I felt like I had to keep going to get to the good part but the good part never really came. There were no real physical descriptions of the main characters and their personalities were either too cliche or they were just shallow. Many parts in the story seemed like they were taken from Holly Black (author of Tithe, Valiant and Ironside). Too many things in this story should have been described and too many questions remained unanswered. Very dissapointing. Pretty cover though.
11 comment22 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2010
I was pretty excited when this book became free for the kindle. Aislinn is trying desperately to be a normal teen. Of course the fact that she can see fairies makes that impossible. I appreciate that it is supposed to be for a younger audience but some of the behaviors of the fairy population were disturbing for me. I think that the story line was more suited for an adult novel but was watered down for a teen audience. The relationship between the Summer King and Aislinn just didn't flow for me. He seemed way to mature and she was far too immature. With a little tweaking it could be a great teen book or even a great adult novel. As it is now, I don't think it really fits in either place. Overall, it was an ok read. I'm not sure if I am interested enough to read anymore in the series.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2008
Even you can get published, considering this novel is in print. If you like slow-moving novels with unsatisfying endings, unbelieveable characters, and a crazily-conflicting pseudo-reality, you'll enjoy "Wicked Lovely." Unfortunately, those who know books will quickly dismiss this as unwashed tripe. The author refuses to make choices in the ending and cannot write believable males to save her life. The urban faeryland Marr creates contains -- like the famous gazillionaire novelist's books -- numerous physical-reality discrepancies and Marr, in attempting to explain them, digs herself in deeper, thus destroying the reader's suspension-of-disbelief which is critical in a fantasy novel. In short, her reality is stupid. "It's just a fantasy novel," you may argue. True, but fantasy authors are bound to adhere to the rules of the physical reality they have created, and Marr neglects this requirement for successful fantasy. Even fantasy authors cannot simply do whatever they please if they want to create a compelling narrative.

What's good about this book? Well, some of the researched quotes that head the chapters are interesting, some of the scenes are clever, and the tension created by the dilemma one of the female characters (Donia) faces is explored nicely. However, the extended epilogue ending ruined her character for me. (And what's with the weird name? She's supposed to have been born in the nineteenth or early twentieth century. How many girls named "Donia" were around back then? Just an example of Marr trying too hard to be clever.)

If I had to guess, I'd say a thirteen-year-old girl wrote this novel. For her, this would be an impressive work. But for a college literature instructor? More like "Wicked Lousy."
22 comments7 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon January 7, 2008
Aislinn has a secret: she can see faeries. They're everywhere, torturing and tormenting people without their knowledge. But Aislinn has to ignore all of it and pretend they don't exist. She has to follow the three rules instigated by her grandmother. She cannot stare at the faeries, for she's not supposed to know they're there. She can't speak to them, for the same reason. But, more important, she mustn't attract their attention. Once they discover a human being knows about them, all hell could break loose. So the seventeen-year-old Aislinn sets out to live a normal life with Seth, her best friend and long-time crush, and his tattoo, body-piercing buddies. But Keenan, faerie and Summer King, has singled Aislinn out to be his queen. He has tried to find a queen before, but they failed the test. One of these is Donia, who is still in love with him and, now a faerie, follows him around and tries to keep Aislinn from falling in his trap. He is determined to get Aislinn, so he uses glamour to pass as human, wooing just about every girl, except for the one he wants. He's got some obstacles of his own. His mother, the Winter Queen, will do everything to try to stop him from dethroning her.

I like faeries. I love fantasy novels. And I enjoy Young Adult books. (I have read my fair share of YA, but I have a newfound respect for them and will follow them more closely.) The opening chapter of Wicked Lovely was interesting, so I bought it and gave it a whirl. What went wrong? The cliché plot did it for me. Gifted girl can see faeries, attractive and charismatic faerie king wants her to be his queen. The current queen, the embodiment of your typical one-dimensional evil faerie queen, will stop her son from taking over. Same old, same old. Yeah, I knew this was the plot from the very beginning, but I expected a little more originality. This is like Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, except for teens and sans the heavy sex. It didn't grab me. That's too bad, because it showed potential. If you're in the bargain for an intelligent, well-written YA fantasy, pick up Libby Bray's Order series. I also recommend Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. I have become addicted to her unique vampire world. But just because this isn't my cup of tea, it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. You be the judge.
on October 31, 2007
Okay so I am just as prone as anyone else to a pretty book cover and title. That is why I wanted ,and bought on a whim, the book Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. I think that amazon also recommended this book as something I would like.

I was very disappointed. There really isn't all that much unique about this book. It reminds of many other young adult urban fantasy books that I have read. The characters are stereotypical and the writing is mediocre.

This book tells the story of Ash who can see fairies. Ash is stalked by a couple of fairies and gradually comes to find out that one of the fairies stalking her believes that she could become the Summer Queen. That's basically the story.

I didn't really care much for the characters in general; they seemed one dimensional. The story was predictable and easy to read. There weren't any real shockers here. Everything about this book seemed mediocre to me; the writing was okay, the story was good enough to keep your attention (if you were sick in bed all day like I was), and it was a quick, easy read. I think I read the book in 3-4 hours.

I kind of felt like I was reading a pale shadow of one of Holly Black's books (see review of Ironside). Personally if you want to read a young adult urban fantasy I would stick with Holly Black or Stephanie Meyer; someone more like that. If you have exhausted your horde of YA fantasy, find this book used or somehow else cheap, and have a few hours to kill, then by all means read it. The book is not horrible and is mildly entertaining and I am putting it up for sale as we speak.
on December 22, 2007
I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit to enjoying this book. Readers who enjoy Stephenie Meyer, Libba Bray, Holly Black and the many other authors out there right now writing fiction with female protagonists, enticing male romantic heroes and a supernatural backdrop will spend several happy hours in this story. So why only 3 stars? Because it's good, but there are other authors out there who do "it" better. Holly Black in particular comes to mind as an author setting modern "Faerie Tales" in gritty, urban settings. But Holly Black's stories are more unpredictable, her characters more feral, and ultimately, her novels just stand out more (for this reader, at least.) Melissa Marr has given us a protagonist who we know is special, because Ms. Marr tells us she is. We have one romantic hero who is too perfect and too obviously devoted to our heroine to create much tension, and another who is never more than a propped up competitor, since again, hero number 1 is so over the top perfect/devoted.

This is a fun read, and ultimately a "good" book and worth spending some time with if you are a fan of the genre.