5.0 out of 5 stars Great score, arrangements! (melody in the piano part)
After waiting for so long to finally get this book, I've discovered it to be well worth the wait.
Published on July 8, 2004 by Sydney Head

3.0 out of 5 stars Wicked vocal arrangement
I was looking for the entire vocal arrangement, the way it was written for the musical. This arrangement is revamped so that the songs make sense outside of the musical. That's great, if that's what you're looking for. If you want the actual score, this is not for you.
Published on October 15, 2009 by T

5.0 out of 5 stars Great score, arrangements! (melody in the piano part), July 8, 2004
Sydney Head (Newport Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
Stephen Schwartz is releasing two versions of vocal selections for wicked, this version containing the melody interpolated into the piano part, and another book that is billed as a professional acompaniment without the melody necessarily built into the piano arrangement. This led many to speculate that the "with melody" version would therefore be much easier and less true to the music. Although I haven't seen the other book yet as it has yet to be released as I write this, you should definitely know that this book has not one "easy" arrangement. The arrangers have done a really excellent job of keeping the parts interesting while building in the melody. For instance, "Defying Gravity," the amazing Act-One closing number, is particularly well done, and if you can work through the key-- (it remains, as in the show, in Db) you will be VERY satisfied with the richness and fullness of the sound.
Schwartz has adapted the songs for use as solos or (where applicable) duets, removing longer instrumental breaks, trimming ensemble sections, and providing some new lyrics and endings to make the songs work really well for this new format. This in my opinion is yet another reason to purchase the book, as it gives fans of the show a way to interpret small sections of some of the songs differently.
Sometimes I do wish some cuts could have been avoided (notably I miss the wonderful "We deserve each other" theme that appears on the cast album intersecting "Dancing through Life" and the counterpoint melody "Who's that mage..." in "One Short Day"), but Schwartz is right, it would have impeded the creation of solo pieces to put those in.
The score for Wicked is definitely not to be missed, it really is a must have-- (especially while I wait patiently for the imminent release of the other version of the score!)
Overall, the music is wonderful, the arrangements remain challenging, but are extremely well edited and contain chord diagrams to help you along as well. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great arrangments of great music, October 1, 2004
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
The piano arrangements in this book are very faithful to the orchestrations. If you're like me, you ordered this book because you are familiar with the recording; you will not be disappointed with the accompaniments. A couple of the songs have been edited down, presumably to avoid the selections becoming too long. Very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked Piano/Vocal Selections, April 23, 2006
Bonny (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
I bought this book because a friend gave me the Wicked CD and I fell in love with the show. This book is a selection of the most popular songs from the show, in a format where a singer could perform them with only piano accompaniment. Most of the songs are pretty close to the versions that you hear on the CD, but some have been altered to make them easier to perform as solos or audition pieces. Most of the speaking and chorus parts (like in "Popular" and "One Short Day") have been removed and some of the songs have new endings. In "Dancing Through Life", the second half of the song has been cut so the entire song can be sung by only one person. Also, the part in "The Wizard and I" where Elphaba has a vision also appears in "Defying Gravity". Lastly, "For Good" is written so it can be sung as a duet or a solo.

This book is good for anyone looking to sing these songs as a solo, duet or for an audition. The piano part is a simplified version of the orchestral score with the melody line usually occurring in the right hand and it is easy enough for almost any accompanist to play. However, if you are looking for an exact translation of the songs from the show, you will be disappointed. Otherwise, this is a good buy for any Wicked fan who wants to perform their favorite songs from this fantastic show!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked is Wicked, October 17, 2005
Amy Kay (Rockford, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
I bought this for my girls, because they are currently obsessed with Wicked. My oldest is taking piano lessons and is going to sing one of the songs for a talent show. She says this is the best book in our collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, January 19, 2007
KellyIndy8 (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
I am very pleased with this product. As a beginner, I am playing the vocal piece and will move into the piano piece once my skills improve. Although I'm not a singer, I enjoy having the lyrics to all the songs. The wonderful photos (most in color) are also a plus. Many of them are the same as those included in the Wicked CD booklet, but here they are full-sized and look fantastic. This is a great product for anyone who's a fan of the show or who simply enjoys playing or singing show tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Arrangement, October 16, 2005
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
Its a good arrangement and extremely challenging. I'm enjoying learning the music immensely BECAUSE it is so very difficult. I highly reccommend this piano book to those that know what they're about musicall, but don't mess with this if you're just a beginner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wicked vocal arrangement, October 15, 2009
T "T" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, June 13, 2005
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
Wicked is my favorite musical. The music is inspiring. And although at times the music can be dificult to master, it's nothing that a little practice can't solve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Piano Arrangements, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
I really liked the Easy Piano Arrangment book of "Wicked." The keys and rhythms are very user friendly and good for the young piano player. I have also purchased the harder piano arrangement version, but found some of the keys to be trickier and therefore somewhat more frustrating to play. I also like having the words included, so someone could easily sing the part as a vocal solo or just a piano solo. Overall it is nice arrangment of some trickier modern music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Surprises, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement (Paperback)
The music is not overly difficult to play. What surprised me was that I received FIVE copies of it. I know music books are costly so I was expecting the $12.00+ to be for one book. I did not realize was the $12.00 I paid was for 5 copies OF THE SAME BOOK.

Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement
Wicked - Piano/Vocal Arrangement by Stephen Schwartz (Paperback - June 1, 2004)
$19.99 $14.11