5.0 out of 5 stars Saving grace
Published on January 20, 2005 by Louise C. Stone

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Helpful for Younger Widows
Published on May 19, 2012 by M. E. Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving grace, January 20, 2005
I was sent this book by a friend shortly after my husband died. The word "practical" is a most important focus in the title. In reading, I found a sense of calm in knowing that I was not losing my mind, or going crazy, or just plain weird. As a "new" widow, I find the emptiness overwhelming at times and picking up this book (between counseling sessions) is a great boost to my sense of where I am now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Widows, February 9, 2005
Wendy B. Meyer (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I lost my husband of four years to cancer recently...this was the second time widowed for me. My first husband died ten years ago, and I wish this book had been available to me then! Although I was familiar with all the feelings, thoughts and social anomalies that occur during widowhood, seeing them put on paper and knowing I was not losing my mind is slowly helping me put my life back in order. I use it as a guide on a daily basis right now. I learned that a cousin had been widowed last October and purchased a copy for her as well. Definitely worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best at Capturing the Emtional Turmoil of Losing a Spouse, October 13, 2002
By A Customer
I read several "widow" books after losing my husband suddenly to a heart attack and this book did the best job of capturing the emotional turmoil of losing a spouse. It is very difficult to cope with the unwelcome changes in ones life and this book helps to guide the way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Helpful for Younger Widows, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life (Paperback)
Overall, this book is good for those having to endure the experience of being a widow, but it seems geared more towards women of another, older generation where women traditionally didn't work outside of the home and depended on their husbands to do the typical "male" things, like handle finances, home repair, etc. I lost my husband very recently and very suddenly, but have had a career for a long time and certainly know how to handle all the finances, etc. The book assumes that widows totally identify themselves as "homemakers" and through their husbands. It gives advice on how to hire handymen, assuming that most women cannot do home repairs or easily learn how to do them. Thus, I really couldn't relate to much of what was in this book since the advice seemed so dated to me. There are still some helpful chapters regarding the grieving process, but overall, if you're younger than maybe 65, this might not be the most helpful book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, January 13, 2006
When my husband was dying some 17 years ago I found this little book in a small town library under another title "To Live Again"

I devoured it. Some years later I found it was in print under "Widow to Widow" I began to buy the book in bulk purchases to give to my friends who had become widows. I sent one to an English friend in England, and she sent to the states for 5 more for her widow friends in England. Just recently I gave one to a special MAN after his wife had died rather suddenly. There are many things in the book that pertain to men also. He sat down at one reading and read the complete book. I can see by his actions now, he learned so much from it.

I just gave away my last one to my sister whose husband has just passed away. She was so appreciative. So now I'm placing another bulk order! I have my own copy, of course, and I STILL read it myself after lo these many years. It is an absolute comfort and answers so many questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Widow to Widow - an excellent resourse, December 1, 2001
By A Customer
I found an earlier edition in a library 12 years ago when my husband was dying of prostate cancer, and I had no one close with whom to share. It seemed every page had a jewel of information that was so helpful. One I especially like, when as a plumber in action (with no husband to do it), and you have the pliers trying to tighten a screw--advice "right is tight", "left is loose!" How about that for some GOOD practical advice. Of course, her whole book is much deeper than that and she covers so many situations and feelings a widow undergoes.
I have now given out 5 or 6 of "Widow to Widow" to others during these 12 years since my husband died. A friend even ordered one to be able to counsel widows as a pastor's wife. She thinks it is excellent. I am now placing another order to have "Widow to Widow" on hand when an appropriate instance arises and another new widow needs some calming insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, May 9, 2000
By A Customer
I read this book almost 2 years ago after I lost my husband to suicide. I was 31 at the time and found the book to be a great help, although geared more for older widows. I am returning to purchase a copy for my mother, who was recently widowed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle read, July 23, 2000
By A Customer
Having recently lost my father, I've felt unable to comfort my mother fully (can anyone?), but this book has given me much needed insight into how to help my mother cope with her sudden singleness. Ginsburg's empathy (she herself was unprepared for widowhood) and intelligence (her prose isn't rife with the self-help jargon that doesn't come naturally to many of us) permeate each insightful page. She details not only the facts of widowhood (living alone, eating alone, suriving alone) but also includes personal commentary that places her words in much-needed context. I will purchase copies for my mother and sister, and I believe that they will now begin to understand that it's "okay" to feel anger, and sadness, and hopelessness. Ginsburg validates one's feelings, and no one else has been able to do that for me/us yet. This is a very special book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful help for widows., April 17, 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book on Sun and finished it on Tues. I was widowed 2 yrs ago when a Drunk took my husband's life in a head on collision. My family kept telling me I should be over it by now, however, I wasn't. Thanks to this book I know I am not nuts. This woman knows exactly what she is talking about. Thank you so very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read for any Widow, April 18, 2003
By A Customer
I purchased this book as a gift for friend when she lost her husband. She contacted me right away saying how much she enjoyed the book - how it was helping her - the best she'd read - it's exactly how I feel - these were her comments. I've purchased several for other friends since - they all say the same.

Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life
Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life by Genevieve Davis Ginsburg (Paperback - August 18, 2004)
$15.95 $13.01