5.0 out of 5 stars Woolies
Published on November 25, 2008 by Zak

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sock, but short lived due to heel wear
I have probably purchased twenty pair of the El Pine over the years. A comfy and warm product. Inevitably, however, the heel wears through and one is left with a sock that is otherwise still in fine shape and a hole in the heel. NOT a durable product. I am going to shop for another product.
Published on September 9, 2009 by D. Patrick Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sock, but short lived due to heel wear, September 9, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Woolies, November 25, 2008
This review is from: Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock (Apparel)
You can't go wrong with wigwams line of made in USA socks and these are no exception. Wigwam has been around long enough to know where good wool comes from and that's not nearly as treated via bleaching and dyeing and the like process. Most of these are not dyed in fact for the 'salt and pepper' variety for sure I can attest. But much of wool is processed to such an extent as to lose the softness that's there naturally and replaced with some facsimile of that texture which never is as tough or wear resistant as natural wool. It's because wigwam makes this effort to find hand-spun natural wool that I love their socks. I've been hiking, working and playing in them for at least 15 years. These are definitely not socks you want to overlook if you don't mind raw wool. El Pine socks can satisfy a fairly cold 30 or below rating as well (check with Wigwam for sure). I am partial to Patagonia's style for the blends and thermal insulation but for straight wool I came back to my old friend Wigwam and they didn't disappoint: I am now up to 3 pairs of these and may not be done yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars heel problem might be an individual thing, January 23, 2010
Roger (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock (Apparel)
I too have worn these socks for years, and heel wear has not been a problem. Then my partner took to snitching my socks and wearing them. The heels went threadbare very quickly, as did the toe area. I'm 5'11 and weigh 187; my partner is 5'9 and around 250 (was around 300). He is hard on shoes also.

The heel wear problem for some folk may be related to walking style and stature. If I ever find a similar sock, but with a reinforced heel and toe, I will pass on the information.

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite winter sock- Wigwam El Pine, November 8, 2011
handyman49 (San Diego California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock (Apparel)
Most winter socks cut off the circulation around my ankles and cause cold feet. I wear size 10 shoes but I jump up one recommended size on the sizing chart and buy the el-pine XL size socks because they aren't too tight around the ankles. I wear them over cotton crew socks because they don't itch that way. They keep my feet warm as long as my boots have wiggle room so I wear winter boots two sizes larger than my normal shoe size. I also wear the el-pine's around the house inside sheepskin slippers 2 sizes larger than my shoe size so blood gets to my feet OK. It took me many years to learn that giving my feet some room will keep them warmer and happier. The grey twist is the only color El Pine that is manufactured in XL size. These socks wear well. I love these socks and recommend them highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle sock, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock (Apparel)
Buy this pair of socks! I was hiking the Appalachian trail, foolishly borrowing a pair of boots from someone ( they were nice Asolos)as i had grown out of mine, and i found myself stuck with a pair of dryrotted boots. the soles fell off in the first half an hour of rough terrain. by the end of the first 8 miles, those boots were gone. I then proceeded to ducktape the plastic insert in place and walked on that. Eventually, those too fell apart. Finally, i just threw the boots in my pack and went barefoot hiking for the next 15 miles. i wore a liner sock and these El Pine socks. They held up great and are surprisingly durable. Im actually wearing them while typing this. They did acquire some mud but after one washing they look brand new with no signs of wear. I will say that they are somewhat itchy without a liner sock. My next trip, Isle Royale, i wore these again, with a pair of LaSportiva boots (purchased in brand new condition for 15 bucks at a thrift store), and these socks performed perfectly. These on top of a polypropelene sock is the way to go. Wicks sweat, feet stay relatively cool, feet are padded gorgeously, and no blisters over the course of a week long hiking trip. A+ product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Obtrusive, uncomfortable seams, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock (Apparel)
These socks are a waste of money. You'd think for their price, they would be able to make a sock without gigantic seams on the toes. VERY uncomfortable and irritating. Wore them one day with my hiking boots and the rough seam actually rubbed my skin raw across the tops of my toes. I will never recommend this product to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and comfortable-- an instant favorite!, March 23, 2013
I bought these socks for my husband, to wear with his new Birkenstocks (because white cotton athletic socks just really don't make it for that). He ended up taking them on a ten-day trip... and I believe he wore them most of the time. He loves them! They are warm and comfortable, don't itch him, and seem to stay clean a lot longer than regular socks.

That being said, I also bought a pair for myself, in red... and I just ended up giving them to my husband. Wigwam doesn't make these socks in women's sizes, or in Small; they claim that the Medium fits Men's size 5-9-1/2, which OUGHT to cover a women's size 81/2, like me. However, I found that the socks, while lovely, thick and warm, wouldn't stay on my heel properly. Also, though they are a gorgeous, deep-red color, they are emphatically NOT color-fast! I washed them in the sink, and was VERY glad I did. So... they can be a second pair for my husband, and I will be sure not to wash them with his white dress-shirts. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wool Sox, January 23, 2014
I suffer from Raynaud's Syndrome. So, I get white-numb cold and bloodless toes in temperatures only as low as 50 degrees outside if I walk out and remain as little as 15 minutes. It is very frustrating and depressing sometimes. These socks gave me an extra 10 minutes before my symptoms began. For normal folks these would be ideal. I where them now, indoors. They keep my toes and feet very comfy and warm. They mostly wool, and thick, yet stretchy enough to feel flexible, range-of-motion for the feet to move in the them too. Usually wool sox don't give that much stretch if they
re also very thick. These are a good quality and effective to keep warmth. So far, so pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars sock sizes messed up and poor quality, February 18, 2014
I ordered mens large and according to the the packaging thats what i received.. the only problem is that large was supposed to fit size 9 thru 12 shoe sizes and although I wear a size 9, the sochs are two small and have a hard seam across the toes. hopefully my daughter who wears a size 7 womans shoe can use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value/high quality, February 11, 2010
A. Culp (Chicago, Il USA) - See all my reviews
This is high quality. It is hard to find socks with a high % of wool. These socks are high wool content and well made. I highly recommend them for comfort and warmth.

Wigwam Men's El Pine Sock