5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you don't already have a Classic Controller.
I got this product when I bought Monster Hunter Tri.
I already had a Classic Controller that I purchased when it was first released.

Published on April 22, 2010 by James Faile

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent upgrade, but not a must buy
The Classic Controller Pro is Nintendo's upgrade to its existing Classic Controller. The new additions include nice grips, redesigned shoulder buttons, control sticks, and cord. The new extras do help round out the controller, but obvious problems persist.

Published on June 4, 2010 by Carlos A. Ramos

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you don't already have a Classic Controller., April 22, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this product when I bought Monster Hunter Tri.
I already had a Classic Controller that I purchased when it was first released.

I have used the Classic Controller to play Super Smash Brothers Brawl since a few months after that game was released. I'm still good at using the Gamecube Controller, but I wanted to start using the new controllers so that I wouldn't have to hunt for Wavebirds when they stopped being produced.

This controller addressed all of my concerns with the original design.

While playing using the original Classic Controller, my left hand would rotate around the analog stick slightly. This would not usually be detrimental until it had shifted enough that pressing a direction would register as a diagonal. For example, trying to press Up-B to recover while my hand was rotated downward caused me to press Over-B which would cause a suicide and a wasted stock.

With the new Classic Controller Pro, my hand stays anchored in place and I notice less mistakes during critical matches.

Another issue with the old Classic Controller was the R and L buttons being analog. This was the same issue that Gamecube Controllers have where a slight press doesn't register as a shield unless the button is completely pressed in. This is an issue specific to Brawl as Melee supported slight indentation.

However, with the new Classic Controller Pro, L and R are now digital like the rest of the buttons. This lets them be used like Super Nintendo Controller shoulder buttons or like Gamecube Controllers that have had their shoulder button springs removed.

It's worth getting just for that.

Also, the analog sticks are farther apart, which makes it so that Thumb Clash (Thumbs colliding during gameplay) is no longer an issue. It was rarely an issue to begin with, but the thought is nice.

As for Monster Hunter Tri?
The zR and zL buttons are barely used in this game, so if you already have a Classic Controller the Classic Controller Pro is only worth the upgrade if you have $20 you want to blow. Otherwise the old controller will work perfectly for you.

All things considered, I don't regret buying this controller at all and would do it again if I lost or damaged this one.

UPDATE 8/03/2011
I've had this controller for over a year and it still functions as good as when it was new. No problems to report.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Hands, June 27, 2010
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
I've been cursed with big hands. One modern invention that's driven me crazy is the cell phone. Constantly getting smaller. Then came along the Wii classic controller. I bought two of them to play Mario Kart 64. My hand would cramp up after a few minutes. I bought these plastic clip on expander with bigger grips. This helped but was still a little too small. Then as if someone had read my mind someone built this new controller. I ordered them in a hurry. I can now play Mario Kart 64 cramp free. If you are also cursed with big man hands and enjoy playing some of the classics on Wii. I strongly recommend this controller. Plus the top buttons are all digital. A nice improvement over the spring ones on the first classic controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Controller for all games, March 15, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
I bought this product so that my wife and I could both play old Nintendo games together.

I had already purchased a Classic Controller when I first bought the Wii. It looks more like the class NES controller with rounded edges and analog sticks. Wii Classic Controller That controller is a bit unwieldy for guys with large hands as the analog sticks are too close together.

This controller is much easier to use for me. The analog sticks are snappier and spaced better then the old controller I have. The controller fits my hands better and feels more like a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller - both of which I am more comfortable using. The L & R buttons on the top of the controller are digital, which means less mistakes for me playing games. With the other controller, these buttons were analog, meaning I had to make sure they were entire depressed in order to ensure the action on the screen occurred.

This controller works well with all of the old Mario games that we have downloaded as well as with the Mario Kart games we purchased. I'm very pleased with this product and will be buying a second to replace the original classic controller.

I'm giving this product 4/5 stars as it could be made out of a less slick material. Even though the PS3 controller is smooth, it does not slip when my hand gets a little sweaty. The material on this controller means if I'm playing for a long session, I need to wipe it down with my shirt or something else once in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars SNES controller for a modern age, September 21, 2010
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
The Classic Controller Pro builds on the minimalist design of the original Classic Controller, which was itself an amalgamation of the snes and n64 controllers, to offer a more modern feel that's better suited to games outside of the Virtual Console library. Overall, the redesign is a big success and makes the original Classic Controller obsolete, but it's not quite perfect still.

The controller may feel "cheap" in the hands of some due to the surprisingly light weight, but this is due solely to the lack of motors for rumble; I've disassembled the pro and the build quality and components are the same as any other Nintendo controller.

The grips are the largest and most ergonomically shaped Nintendo has ever used and are similar to the Xbox 360 in terms of comfort, although the pro grips are somewhat less thick. The oversize Z buttons are very comfortable and have been stacked, Sony style, to improve accessibility, a welcome improvement that unfortunately never sees any use as the L and R buttons are considered the default triggers by most games. The face buttons are somewhat widely spaced and protrude from the controller more than past Nintendo pads, springing back more quickly with a clicky and definite feel that resembles a mouse.

The analog sticks are further apart and fall under the thumb at a more comfortable angle thanks to the the new grips. The sticks are by all appearances the same as those used in the Classic Controller and Nunchuk, which have heavier resistance than Microsoft or Sony's and feel somewhat imprecise and inconsistent in their movement. The sticks work well for simple movements, like running at full tilt, but under-perform for precise tasks like aiming in a FPS. The cap of the stick is a comfortable rubber material and has a single outer ring, which cleverly keeps your thumb from sliding off without obstructing contact with the surface like the concentric rings of previous Nintendo sticks did.

As far as compatibility goes, there's really nothing this controller can't do a reasonably good job with. Being based off the SNES controller, it's obviously a natural choice for retro games, but it also feels very competent for N64 and Wii titles as well. It even works fairly well for PC games and emulators, provided you're willing to buy an adapter. The only real criticisms to make are that the analog sticks are not the very best the industry has to offer and the lack of rumble or wireless make the Pro feel like it's not quite a full fledged gamepad. Regardless, at the price it's offered at and with the quality it delivers, I find it hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with this controller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concerns laid to rest..., August 13, 2010
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
The only real thing I can warn people against with this controller is that certain 64 games don't feel as 'natural' as they did with the N64 controller. My sisters say that's only because I'm used to the 64 controller. And they're probably right. One thing I know for sure is that game controls feel MUCH better with this controller than they do with the GameCube controller. Even GameCube games feel better with this controller. Initially I was upset when I bought this, because the cord is pretty short and I assumed it had to be plugged in to the Wii. But you just plug it into your Wii remote, like you would a NunChuk. I admit this just in case someone out there has the same concern. This is a great, high quality product. No need to buy a billion Wii accessories. Just get a few of these and you should be good. You may even find yourself using this in place of the remote to play some of your Wii games!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great control, never owned the original classic controller :\, April 24, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I gave this controller a 5 star rating because when you don't compare it to other controllers it's a really decent controller. Although this controller feels really comfortable when you hold it, it's a bit difficult to get used to when you've played on the GCN Controller for so long. Especially when you are playing SSBB, you have to reach upward diagonally for the (x)/(y) button ( which delays a few milliseconds and leaves you open for an incoming object/attack). While on the GCN Controller you could click ( x ) towards the right when you needed to react quickly. However, this is not a review about the GCN controller.

I never owned the original CC since I did not have the money at the time to purchase it. Neither did I have in mind to purchase it because I did not see any use for it until later on. That's when I started purchasing virtual console games and then that's when I realized that the GCN controller did not play well with Super Mario World. So I skipped the original CC since it did not look comfortable to hold for other games besides VC ones and I did not want to purchase it just to play VC games. So months later I stumbled across the Japanese design of the CCP on YouTube while randomly searching up Nintendo items. I took massive interest and I pre-ordered it on Amazon. I waited about 1 month and it finally came in the mail. I really loved the look of the controller, and the feel of it. I first tested it with Super Mario World and it ran really smooth. However, when I started playing SSBB with it, I did not feel as free as I wanted to with the controller, but after practicing and memorizing the layout I got a little used to it, but it felt as if I were learning a whole new experience again. It worked great with Super Sonic Racing though, So no if's or buts there. Anyway, it isn't called the "Classic" controller for no reason, so you can't bombard Nintendo with comments on how this controller could of been better when they made it especially for virtual console games with intentions of including it for other games. Most of us know that the GCN controller is still very comfortable. So hopefully in their next gen console they will keep the design and include wireless features without the need to connect it to the wiimote.

Positive Side:
+ Controller is great for playing SNES/virtual console games
+ The added handles make it look and feel more comfortable
+ The R&L analog sticks are more spaced apart making it easier to reach
+ The cord being upward instead of downward is better

Negative Side:
- the Zr&Zl button location is a bit spaced out (especially when grabbing in SSBB making it feel awkward)

Overall, this is a great controller. I only have minor adjustments that I did not approve of, other then that it's a Viewtiful controller. ^^

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome accessory, November 14, 2012
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
This review is for the Black Wii Classic Controller Pro. The controller plugs in to the bottom of a Wii Remote (like the Nunchuk), and is comfortable to hold. The buttons and analog sticks are within comfortable reach and are easy to press and control. It is also quite durable and light; there isn't much to it. The only option I would've liked to see in this controller is vibration feedback.

I use this for Wii racing games, but it can also be used with games from the Wii Shop Channel. Specifically, Nintendo 64 games like Ocarina of Time, and Super Nintendo games like Super Mario Bros. I would recommend this to anyone owning a Wii system, it is a great alternative to using the Wii Remote.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent upgrade, but not a must buy, June 4, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)

The controller is still wired to a Wii remote in order to function. In a generation where wireless is standard, it is a nuisance and shame that Nintendo, once a pioneer in wireless controller, has limited its controller to a wire. Its not a huge deal as it doesn't affect gameplay or control in any way, but it is something worth considering for those interesting in "re-buying" a CC.

The Classic Controller launched without a rumble feature, and now the CC Pro has done the same. Since the CC is tethered to a WiiMote, and gathers its power from it, a lack of rumble is sure to safe battery life. It does take away from some of the experience however. Although it is true that Sony launched the Play Station 3 without a rumble controller, they have since released the DualShock 3 to remedy it.
Since it has no battery source of its own, or any internal mechanics to support a rumble feature, the CC Pro is very light. The plastic used is sturdy, so it doesn't feel cheap or breakable, but it does feel flimsy.

The CC Pro has a gloss on top of the controller, similar to the Wii remote, but the entire bottom of it lacks any of the gloss, OR a matte finish like the newer Wiimotes of Xbox 360 controllers.

At a cheap price of $20, it becomes obvious why the CC Pro lacks a sense of luxury, but it's disappointing that Nintendo would go through all the trouble of redesigning a controller only to do it poorly. The low price means that it isn't a serious investment, but the additions don't really warrant another purchase for those already stock full of original CCs. New comers are very welcome though.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction, April 25, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
I think that this is a much better controller than the previous version and certainly worth buying. However, this is not the controller that I wish Nintendo would make. Be that as it may, I have to review this controller for what it is. For the sake of reference, I own all three modern game consoles and can compare controllers with each other.

The controller currently comes in either white or black. The black controller is actually that piano black glossy style that tends to be a fingerprint collector. The most obvious change is that Nintendo added a couple of curved grips on either side of the controller that strongly resemble those found on PlayStation controllers. The ZL and ZR buttons went from tiny nubs to full fledged shoulder buttons and are now purely digital as opposed to the low quality analog from the previous Classic Controller. The analog sticks are spaced a bit further apart and some people claim that this leads to less thumb clash. I wouldn't go that far, my thumbs can easily come into contact with each other on this controller but to be fair the sticks are further apart than they are on the PS3 controller. For some odd reason, it seems that Microsoft was the only one to get it right when it comes down to placement of the two analog sticks.

The Classic Controller Pro is not a truly wireless controller because you still have to plug it into the Wii Remote. For a $19.99 price tag, I wasn't expecting much in that regard. It actually feels great in my hands. The four shoulder buttons and the four face buttons are easy to access and the analog sticks have a nice feel to them. I don't like how closely spaced the Select, Start and Home buttons are on this controller. The face of the controller is still essentially the same bean shape as the previous controller but now you have those grips instead of wrapping your hands around that bean shape which I always felt was a bit uncomfortable.

While the Classic Controller Pro is larger than the PS3 controller, it is noticeably lighter and weighs far less than the Xbox 360 controller. I personally like a bit more heft to my controllers but that is an individual preference. What really matters is how well the controller works during gameplay. I would say that the controller meets my expectations. I played Gate of Thunder, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Super Mario 64 and had no problems switching weapons or executing precision jumping that is needed for Mario games. As it happens, my tournament fighting games are on the Xbox 360 so I won't comment on the D-pad and how easy it is to perform special moves with it. Given the fact that there are only four buttons on the face, I don't think that Street Fighter fans would be particularly happy with this controller anyways.

All in all, I'd say that the Classic Controller Pro is worth the money though I wish that Nintendo would have made a truly wireless controller with rumble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improves gameplay on classic games, October 24, 2010
R. Murphy (Jamaica Plain, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black (Video Game)
I love classic SNES games available for download on the Wii. Playing them with the standard Wii controller however is often impossible. The addition of the hand-grip extensions makes this more comfortable to hold than the basic classic controller. I have very small hands for an adult and I find the controller fits OK, but is maybe a bit too big; I have to hold it precisely in order to have my fingers in reach of all the buttons. As I said, my hands are small and I'm sure many adults find this too small. If you are buying this for a child, it might be too large. I think it is a good, average size, but with any average, some users will find it awkwardly sized.

Overall, it works as advertised and I haven;t had any problems with it. This controller does not have batteries, not does it do anything on its own. It works by plugging into the Wiimote (in play of the nunchuck attachment) so that you do not have to have wires connecting the player to the game system.

Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black
Wii Classic Controller Pro - Black by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
$46.88