Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on May 15, 2011
Nintendo dropped the price of their console to $149.99. The previous console package included Wii Sports and Sports Resort, and these have been replaced with Mario Kart and a Wii Wheel. Nintendo also rolled out a line of popular titles for $19.99. The titles include Nintendo Selects: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess,Nintendo Selects: Animal Crossing: City Folk,Nintendo Selects: Mario Super Sluggers and Nintendo Selects: Wii Sports. All of these titles are very good.

This happened on May 15th. The question is, all three systems are out and have motion-based gaming. Which console is best to purchase now?

I say Nintendo is an amazing system and still a notch above the rest, especially given the price drop.

Why? One reason is games. Nintendo has games that appeal to children, teens and even older folks (I'll get into that later). I have an Xbox 360 and PS3, but I find myself playing Wii more. Why you ask? I love my Xbox 360 for Halo/Modern Warfare and other FPS games. That said, when playing games with a group, Wii wins hands down. From racing Mario, Luigi and friends in Mario Kart to battling with Marth and Link in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Nintendo has cornered the market on group-friendly games. Plus, Nintendo has many of the same FPS like Call of Duty: Black Ops geared towards older gamers that the PS3 and 360 have. To top it off, Nintendo has accessories like the Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board that not only integrate gaming and exercise, but make it fun and user-friendly from 5 years of age on up.

Side-story: I bought the Wii for my parents who are in their early 50s. They thought it was a gag gift. A few days after I bought the gift I got a call, "You're father and I have taken up tennis and we love it!" I thought she was referring to playing tennis with a physical racket, they were referring to Wii Sports.

Who has the best motion-based system? Nintendo's revolutionary motion-based gaming was first to market. Now 360 and PS3 have motion-based gaming as well. All are impressive, especially the Kinect for 360. However, neither the 360 nor PS3 have a great number of games that use their motion-sensor equipment. Nintendo on the other hand has been out for years and has a huge number of games that are motion-based. Buy Nintendo for an established motion-based gaming library.

Graphics? PS3 and 360 win this hands down. Wii graphics are not superior to the 360 and the PS3. However, a visually beautiful/realistic game does not equate to being a fun game. When you are racing at top speed in Mario Kart, you are not paying attention to how realistic the environment is on the side of the road, you are trying to shoot your opponent off the road. Fun games make you pay attention to gameplay, not graphics and Wii does this.

Nintendo is a great system and at $149.99, this is a great entry point. Be sure to buy an additional Official Nintendo Wii Wheel (Mario Kart for 1 isn't as much fun without two players). You'll also want to buy another Wii Remote Plus - Black and Wii Nunchuk Controller - Black controller. The system only comes with one set in the box. Take a look at the titles that were reduced to $19.99. You can't go wrong with any of these games.

Hope this was helpful, have fun gaming!
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2011
First, if you have an HDTV, you will need special component cables, found here: Component AV Cable for Nintendo Wii to HDTV.

Second, this system only comes with one controller, so you might want to get a second one if you hope to have more than one person playing at a time: Wii Remote Plus - Black. And if you buy a second controller, you'll want a second Nun-chuck attachment: Wii Nunchuk Controller - Black. And maybe a second WiiWheel if you want for Mario Kart: Official Nintendo Wii Wheel. You might also want to get rechargeable batteries for the controllers: Energizer NH15BP-4 Rechargeable AA Battery 4 Pack.

Third, the Wii Sensor Bar can easily be knocked down, so I used Poster Putty to help keep it secure. Duck Poster Putty, Removable/Reusable, Nontoxic, 2 Ounce/Pack (PTY-2)

Finally, the most common complaint you'll hear is that people get tired of playing with the Wii. "There's no good games," or "I'm tired of playing Wii Sports." If you only use any system to play ONE game, you're going to get bored not matter what you're playing. Paying $150 just to play Mario Kart is ridiculous. You need to optimize your investment by getting more games. So here are 52 of the Wii's notable games.

Wii Sports
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)

KEEP IN MIND that you should always check a games ESRB Rating to make sure it's appropriate for the person playing it. Most games are rated Teen and under, but there are some Mature rated games that you might not find appropriate. I also am NOT guaranteeing that you'll automatically love every game listed. Some people don't like sports games. Some people don't like First-Person Shooters. Some games are too hard. Sometimes, they're too easy. Or maybe you don't really like "games" and you bought this to do the Zumba (Zumba Fitness) or to Just Dance (Just Dance), that's okay, too. But, like I said, if you want to get the most for your investment, you should consider building a nice size library of games.

I hope I was helpful, and at least, those One-Star Reviewers aren't going to be able to say the Wii "has no games" with this block staring customers in the face.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2011
I've been a Nintendo fan for years. Generation after generation they put out amazing consoles with excellent games. So it comes as no suprise that the Wii continues the tradition started back in 1985.

The Wii was codenamed the Revolution becasue it was supposed to revolutionize the way we play games. I'm not so convinced that it accomplished it's goal per se, but I do think that it did introduce some new ways to play. When I first heard about the system I didn't think it would be nearly as successful as it was. I thought odd name, last gen graphics, and strange (ablbiet interesting) controller, yeah, good luck with that Nintendo. I was convinced that it would turn out much like the GCN, reasonably successful but nowhere near it's competition.

Well here we are 5 years later and we all know how it turned out. Much to everyones suprise, the Wii turned out to be a tremendous success. People were calling it the Gamecube 2 because it didn't have HD graphics. While the Wii may be similar to the Gamecube (GCN) in terms of archecture, in nearly every other aspect it is a completely different system. It was given marketed as family centered, rather than specifically to the gamer, where the GCN was fairly powerful for its day the Wii was quite underpowered, and the GCN had a focus on contectivity (GB link cable, GB player, Limited LAN support) the wii focused on motion controls.

The motion controls are the heart and soul of the Wii. While the PS3 and Xbox 360 have their respective options for motion controled gaming, it is hard to argue that the Wii not only started this "revolution" but they also have the largest library of motion controled games. So it goes without saying that if you want motion controlled gaming, the wii is not only the best option, it also happens to be the most affordable.

The purpose of this review is not to compare the Wii to it's competitors, it truly is a stand alone system, and is not fair to do so.

In my opinion, the Wii will largely appeal to two large contrasting groups: non gamers and core gamers.

On one hand you have the non gamers, they will immediatley be attracted to games like Wii sports, Wii fit, Kriby's Epic Yarn, Just Dance, Lego Star Wars, and things of that nature. These are games that anyone can pick up and play and have very broad appeal. The reason for the Wii's success is the non gamer, Nintendo captured an audience that no one knew even existed. Games like these are the reason that you will see the Wii in nursing homes and hospitals.

On the other had you have the hardcore or core gamer. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Courty Returns, No More Heros, Red Steel 2, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Mad World are games that appeal to them. Many of these are hidden gems that only the core know or care about they are every bit as good as the better known Wii titles.

Peronally I am somewhat of a rare breed in the fact that I enjoy both, but most gamers will fall under one catagory or another. I think the real diffrenece between the two is the casual gamer will purchase the Wii as a an only system, whereas the core gamer will buy it to go along with a straight hardcore system. But it's that broad appeal that makes the Wii as successful has it has been.

Unfortunatley, the Wii's best years are behind it. 2010 may have been a great year for the system, but 2011, thus far has been very weak. With E3 coming around the corner gamers will see what will be the last major software to be released for the system, and of course it's successor with be there as well. But not all is bleak, Nintendo just recently dropped the price of the Wii to $149 and swapped out Wii sports and Wii sports resort for Mario Kart Wii. Furthermore they rolled out their Player's choice lineup albeit under a different name. As they say, good things come to those who wait. Now is a great time to buy because the better price, better software bundled, and there is a fairly large library of games avalable.

The reason I gave it 4 out of 5 stars was because I do feel it is missing in some key areas that make it hard to give a perfect score. First, I do feel the online aspect of the Wii is very weak. The setup makes it near impossible to find friends online and communicate with them. Very few games sopport voice chat.

Second, because of the popularity of the system there is a TON of shovelware. Shovelware is (as the name imples) garbage software that gets shoveled onto the system so the developers can make a quick buck off the popularity of the Wii. Generally, I would say stick to first party titles if you want to be safe but even some of these aren't worth getting. Games like Wii music are terrible. Do your reseach and you wii be fine. Finally, even though the library is impressive, there are some holes in there. You will be hard pressed to find ambitions RPG's or M rated action games. Don't get me wrong, they do exist, but few and far between.

Overall the Wii is a wonderful system with a lot to offer. The new bundle is excellent and Mario Kart is a game with universal appeal. The price is appealing, for $150 you can't go wrong. Unless you're holding out for Wii U, I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a balanced system with a good library.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2011
The New Super Mario Bros Wii bundle features the "new Wii" which despicably removed compatibility with Gamecube games and also does not include a stand. This bundle is a FAR BETTER VALUE; it is backwards-compatible, as the original Wii was intended to be, it includes Mario Kart Wii, which all in all is MUCH MORE FUN than New Super Mario Bros Wii, which is a GREAT game with three or four players, but does not even come close to comparing to Mario Kart in thrill and versatility, and it also includes a matching Wii Remote Wheel. Get the good Wii bundles while you still can! They're phasing in the new, stripped-down Wii, starting with the New Super Mario Bros Wii bundle.

As a side note, for competitive gaming with this bundle, I recommend KMD Shockwave Gamecube Controller, and for additional Wii remotes, I HIGHLY recommend Remote, Nunchuck Controller and Case for Nintendo Wii, which includes a remote which looks just like Nintendo's remote, a protective remote jacket, and a nunchuck for under $20. I own one and it works perfectly. You can't beat that value.
on June 21, 2011
We got the Wii so we could watch our Netflix shows on our TV. Not only did it only take 10 minutes to set up, but we can use our wireless internet, so less cords! We are very happy with our purchase!
on July 30, 2011
I'm a Sony Fan Boy to the core. ( Nintendo Fan boys if you can not accept this stop reading this review). I have been playing my ps3 about 2 years now. Playing a lot of excellent games. But even a Sony's Hardcore like me, feels nostalgia about games like Zelda and Mario. Then I decided to buy a wii, when I saw the wii got a Prince drop and 30 dolar bonus , I couldnt resist the offer and I bought inmediately.

The wii , in terms of hardware, is way inferior in comparison to the ps3 or 360. The wii only support up to 480p, meanwhile the 2 other system can go to HD, 1080p (how freaking amazing would have been Link or Mario in Hd!). Also it doesnt have strong online services and this is where the wii fails in the competition. To connect your wii, it must be wireless, if you want to connect you DSL cable, you need to buy another accesory , a minor problem , but for me that is annoying.

Ok now that I have pointed out some little problems of the wii , let move on to where wii shines... Games !!! , Wii have seriously some of the most fun games ever made!. The ps3 have a lot of excelletn games, but if you realize most of these games are the same genre: shooting. While the wii have a lot of variety. Though the wii doesnt have the breathtaking graphics of the ps3 or 360, the game play is just excellent. I must admit the wii it is just as fun as my ps3. Super mario Galaxy 1 and 2, twilight Princesss , are just extremely amazing. Twilight Princess just top as one of my favorite game of all time. These types of game are the one that makes gamers to say: this how a game should be, exploring and having fun. Not like thos FPS online games that have made us into their slaves ( Im one of them , Damn you Modern warfare 2 for stealing my time). After playing enought alone, I bought 3 more controllers and played with my friends... just amazing ! Playin smash brawl and mario party, just makes us remember those time when the n64 was alive, playng against each other and laughing a lot. Those moments are just priceless and the wii brings it back to you. =D

If you want some good games for the wii I can recommend some ( maybe our taste are different but you should at least give it a try) :

Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Super Mario Bros wii
and Many more...
Ps: The Black wii just looks Sexy !

Thanks For reading ... =D
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The 2011 version of the Wii Console Bundle includes a Wii Wheel, a remote plus nunchuk, and Wii Mario Kart. At $149.99, it is quite a savings when compared with the PS3 and XBox 360.

The Wii was amazing when it first came out, with its motion-sensing capabilities, and over the years it has built up an impressive number of games which use those capabilities very well. In comparison, the XBox 360 and PS3 have had a shorter time to get those types of games developed.

The Wii also taps into a vast number of kids' games that are simply not available on any other platform. Mario and Luigi, Yoshi, toadstools and Kart races, it almost seems a rite of passage for kids to play these harmless, skill-learning games.

The Wii also offers gaming for adults, but this is generally not where their strength is. The PS3 and XBox 360 are much better known for their serious, mature content. Also, their online gaming systems and high quality video are geared towards that level of gameplay. They expect you to be able to go online and to handle yourself in that online world.

The Wii on the other hand tends to shelter you from those areas. Any online interaction is strictly controlled. Options tend to be simplified. The Wii is often used as a "starter" system for non-gamers so they can enjoy the exercise games, the sports games, and the casual fun games. The tutorials are generally quite extensive and step you through every stage.

The Wii has never attempted to compete in terms of high quality graphics or intense online experience. That's fine - they also charge less than half than their competitors do! They are aimed squarely at the gentle arcade market, the people who want to play tennis and bowling, who want to dance around to music, and who want to race in go-carts with their friends. They do that job perfectly.

If you're going to get a Wii, accept that the graphics aren't stellar. I'd generally call them "cute". Accept that the online experience isn't as robust as the other systems. But with that said, if you're looking for an inexpensive gaming option that is gentle on newbies, I definitely recommend the Wii!
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2011
Last XMas on a whim I bought my sisters a shiny new red Wii. We had a lot of fun playing with the Wii Sports game that came with it. So much fun that I thought I'd buy one for myself too.

But after months of trying various games and accessory items, I now mostly use the Wii for the Netflix streaming. I can honestly say that Wii Sports is the best game overall, which is sad considering it's over four years old and the one that comes with the system.

The reason is that the motion control that made the Wii Sports game so fun doesn't work that well on other games. Even some of the minigames on the sequel Wii Sports resort don't work all that well. Just try playing the Wii Sports Resort golf versus the Wii Sports golf and you can see the difference.

I think the biggest problem is that other game manufacturers haven't really found a way to make very good games for it. Most of the ones I've tried you wind up just shaking the remote now and then. Or else with some sports games they ask you to do too many motions at once to throw a pitch or make a shot and it becomes tedious. Really the closest I got to the fun of Wii Sports was EA's Grand Slam Tennis, though only if you don't use the advanced controls with the nunchuk.

The nunchuk is the biggest drawback of the system. Specifically that they made the nunchuk so you have to plug it into the controller with a cord. What happens then is the nunchuk restricts how much you can move your arms around without losing your grip on it or whipping yourself in the face with the cord.

I've also found most of the add-ons to be a waste of money. First I bought a tennis racket but found the Wii didn't read my swing about 40% of the time. Later I bought the Dance Dance Revolution game. But the pad is so small that my feet (which are below-average size for an adult male) overlapped the buttons so it would constantly say I was hitting B or A when I wasn't.

Then I bought the Wii Fit Balance Board. That was a huge waste of money. A lot of people like it, but I found it to be an overpriced exercise video. Because here's the thing with that and "Just Dance" and other games: the Wii isn't really following your whole body. The balance board just reads your feet and the way you shift your weight. "Just Dance" type games just read the controller in your hand(s) so that you can be sitting on a chair shaking it and it doesn't know the difference! So yeah those can work for exercise and stuff, but so does any DVD you buy for $5 at Wal-Mart.

So when all is said and done, I feel disappointed. The promise of Wii Sports in my mind has never really been delivered upon. Plus the graphics are very much inferior to the XBOX 360 or PS3.

Basically if you want to really play games, buy either of those systems. Or if you want something cheaper for watching Netflix and playing minigames then buy this.

That is all.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2014
Nintendo pulled the plug on their network for the Wii effective May 20, 2014. That means no more online gaming for your Wii Mario Kart and no more any of those things that many bought this console for. It in effect becomes half the game console it used to be. Nintendo stated that it was doing so in order to focus on the WiiU. I cannot understand this move as Nintendo has a deep pocket and surely could afford to maintain a network for the Wii console while supporting the WiiU. Take a look at the Playstation 3 which is still going strong and still boasts a robust network which is free I might add. And at the same time supporting the Playstation 4. Because of this action I will not be purchasing any Nintendo console in the future. As a longtime Nintendo consumer I am very disappointed in this action.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
I have seen some bad reviews but I don't know why. I have owned my wii for 60 days and I use it everyday, I even watch netflix and surf the web with no troubles at all! I love my wii, the system itself seems heavy duty, it is heavier then my PS2. I bought the wii for my daughter on her 6th birthday and I bought me the wii fit plus with board and I love it, it is easy to use, I can track my BMI and weight in the wii fit channel without putting the disk in (I have lost 20lbs in 30 days!!) the wii has the shopping channel and you can purchase wii points and download games from previous nintendo versions like NES,SNES,64,and sega genesis ect, they don't have all the titles but there are still alot to choose from, you can also play the nintendo gamecube games, nintendo wii has 4 ports to plug in nintendo gamecube controllers and 2 gamecube memory slots, and 2 usb ports in the back, and a place in the front for the SD card so you can store the games you download from the shopping channel, the only thing I noticed is you can't use a usb mic for a gamecube karaoke, but I think that is minor. Only other downside you can't play DVD's. I seen in a review about the motion sensor, the motion sensor wire is thin and it does seem to be flimsy, but you don't move the sensor, it stays either above or below your tv, I haven't had any tracking trouble with the remotes.
The remotes have a speaker built into them, so when you play super mario bros and you "get big" or "Shrink" your remote makes a cool sound, when more then one person is playing mario bros and you get in a bubble you can shake the wii remote and the bubble will float to the nearest person and your remote will say HELP ME!! You need the wii classic controller to play some of the games for the SNES and 64, when you purchase the classic controller all you do is plug it into the bottom of the wii remotes and you are still wireless.
Hope this review helps!