1,699 Reviews
 (1,249)

1,217 of 1,288 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Own a Wii? Are an adult? Don't have time but want to stay fit? Then BUY THIS!
I own the Wii Fit since last week. I'm 32, 1.76m, ~82-84kg (fluctuates) and with my wedding coming up in a few months I wanted to lose some weight. I work all day and have little time in the evenings so the preparation and driving to and from the gym was too much. I wanted to use that 30-40 min to exercise, not prepare for exercise. I own a Wii since Xmas and decided...
Published on May 5, 2008 by Sophocles Sophocleous

1,122 of 1,225 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Adjust your expectations and you'll have a lot of fun
First of all, remember that this is *not* a "game". Its a way to get your 40 minutes of daily exercise without making it feel like a lot of work.

What this means is that you probably won't buy this for your under-11 year old. Before you start the "game", you are asked for an objective ... in terms of how many pounds you want to gain/lose. Whether this question...
Published on May 22, 2008 by Ammy_Evaluator

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for basic maintenance even if you're in good shape already, May 22, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I've been doing this for 67 days now, and I have over 35 hours of credits. The difference in my body is quite obvious. I started off in pretty good shape, but all of my muscles are clearly more toned now. I've also really honed my balance well.

Yoga: Everything can be fairly distracting at first, and you really should focus on just learning the poses before you worry too much about your balance. The instructions and demonstration are far more helpful than any book could be, and unlike video, you can view any part of the pose from all around while they are paused or moving. Once you've learned a pose, the yellow circle and little red dot make a very useful tool. The guided breathing was a brilliant addition.

Strength: Many of these start off easy, but as you unlock more, it can get very intense. Obviously this isn't meant for body-builders, but you can do quite a bit with it. Between the push-up challenge, jack knife challenge, rowing squats, and lunges you can give your whole body a VERY effective work-out. Many of the other exercises are great too, especially the one-arm stand.

Aerobics: None of these will compare to swimming or riding a bike, especially at first, but they can be a lot more than a walk around the block. Once you unlock Free Step, put the board on something sturdy to raise it about a foot or more. If you do this on high speed, you'll get a very real work-out for your heart and lower body. The running works too to of course, but it's a bit clumsy and there's no stair-climbing effect.

Balance Games: My sister said they remind her of the exercises she does in physical therapy. They are all short, simple, and fun. The coolest part about getting better at them over time is the fact that you are literally improving your balance, something people tend to seriously neglect.

Overall, this game really is what it promises: a great, effective way to exercise at home and without equipment other than the board. You can definitely cheat at just about everything on it if you want to, and it's measurement of your performance isn't always perfect. But look at it for what it is: a tool for you to use to help yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii Fit for the whole family (even the unfit!), June 4, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I was a little scared of this when we got it, thinking "I don't want to jog on television!" But after watching my kids and seeing what is all included with the game, I was very anxious to play. After a simple set up of the platform, you are ready to go. It came with 4 AA batteries and included 4 little risers for thicker carpets. I haven't tried these as mine is a berber carpet and works fine, I didn't need a pad or anything.

You have to personalize your Mii with your age, height, weight (yes, it is a scale, too.) From the data, your BMI is calculated and you are noted as underweight, ideal, overweight, or obese. You then take a little balance test (where you shift your weight to certain areas within a time limit.) Your Wii Fit Age is then displayed in large numbers on the screen. Well, of course this could be incorrect (especially if you are heavy due to muscles or something!) but it is an okay feature as long as you don't get bent out of shape about what it says. It isn't a doctor, it is only a game, afterall! As you get better, your Wii Fit age decreases. NOTE: You can even play as someone else's Mii if you don't have time to set one up for yourself (or don't want to.) You'll get a little voice when you step on saying something like "you weigh a little different than before, do you want to continue?" Just click "continue." I didn't want to set one up at first, so I just played as my husband's Mii. Then I just set one up...geez, it wasn't so bad!

Game play: If you have played Big Brain Academy, this game reminds you of that, but you use your body, not just your brain (but maybe this should be called Big Butt Academy for me!! ha ha) The exercises are divided into four different categories designed to help improve your health (and to have fun!) They are yoga, muscles, aerobic, and balance. The yoga and muscle categories feel the most like "real" exercises. You start with a few unlocked categories, and earn new ones. You dont' have to master everything to get the new stuff as things unlock as you bank "time spent" minutes. You can choose a woman or man virtual "trainer" to help guide you in your form (they will also give you feedback on how you are doing.)

My family's favorite parts are the aerobic and balance activities. The games include things like hula hoops (super funny to be a spectator!), jogging, boxing, or step dancing. The balance activities are the ones where everyone wants a turn (even grandma wanted to do these!) These include a marble game (where you balance and lean to get a marble through a hole), ski jump, slalom skiing, snowboarding (you get to turn the balance board sideways to simulate riding on a snowboard), riding in a river inside a bubble (you lean forward and sideways to get your bubble to move and avoid the walls), and even tightrope walking.

Many of the games show a little icon of the balance board and a dot. There is a red dot that shows you where your center of balance is. It is like a target where and you try to get the dots to overlap by shifting your weight. It is really an amazing little board! Even pushing down with only your toes effects the on-screen outcome. We play the balance games the most and all try to get the top score (it shows the top 10 leaders.)

Do we cheat? Well, no..but it is possible, especially with running. You don't use the board with this game, but your arm movement while holding the Wii remote register as running. You could certainly just wave it around, but that sort of defeats the fun!

It seems that there will be many more games coming to work with the balance board. I hope so, because it is a fun gadget. Would I change anything? Maybe. You can't really compete with each other on too many games (you can jog two-player.) You are mostly playing one at a time then comparing scores. It would be fun (but more expensive) to have a split screen, two balance boards, and snowboard against each other! Also, I would like it if you could set up your own little workout routine (like link together 7 or 8 activities that you like the most to run consecutively) but you cannot do this. It isn't that hard to select each one with the remote, but it seems like it would have been a good addition. I actually thought this would be an option before I bought it.

Will the Wii Fit replace a "real" exercise program? Of course not. Will it get you off of the couch more often? Definately, and your muscles will feel that you are doing something! Plus you can see some progress with weight, Wii Fit age, and improved scores. Overall, we really like it and we have logged many hours on it in the first few weeks (which I can't say for all the Wii games we have!) For the price and amount of fun, it is definately worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Start BMI=45, 28 days later, BMI=40. Yeah it's obese, but less than before., July 14, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
OK so the Wii Fit has a weight limit of 330 lbs. When I first got it, I couldn't use it because I weighed in at slightly more than 330. I have R/A, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I'm a mess. I have been steadily gaining weight in spite of a fairly regimented diet and feeling like there was no way out, along came the Wii Fit. I can't handle ANY kind of impact exercise so I thought maybe this would work for me, and my goodness it does.

The exercises are not easy - well a few are - but for someone as stiff and fat as I am, they are all a challenge. I started with just 10 minutes a day and now I am up to 35 minutes. I have lost 10 lbs in 28 days (and for me, that's great! I don't lose weight easily.) I know I am building muscle and even more important, flexibility. I am careful with my joints and if they show signs of extraordinary irritation, I change the program to accommodate it.

I don't expect to lose tons of weight fast, nor do I want to (well, I'd LOVE to, but I also know I would gain it back even faster if I lost it too quickly.) Once I got my weight down to the 330 limit I started working and now I am below 320. I have less than 100 lbs to go now (I'm a big guy to begin with.)

So, even if you have arthritis like I do, or some other medical condition that otherwise might prevent you from "Gym type" exercises, the Wii Fit might be for you! (Probably should consult your physician first to be sure.) Just DO IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii Fit ... Another great addition to your wii collection!, May 20, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I pre-ordered Wii Fit in April and was so excited to receive this innovative game. The game shipped on May 19th and arrived on May 20th, a day earlier than the release date. So for that, I thank you Amazon.

Back to the game, it is really easy to set up and begin playing the game. You start off by syncing the balance board with your console. It's a matter of pushing two buttons, so very simple. Then you begin the process of creating your profile in the Wii Fit profile. The board is really sensitive and hopefully very accurate scale. I did notice that there was a discrepancy between our scale at home and the Wii balance board. So I am wondering if the balance board is calibrated perfectly. But I'm inclined to hope that Nintendo really spent the time to calibrate the scale correctly.

I am impressed at the cleanliness of the graphics. They are by no means, gorgeous HD quality graphics but they are pleasant to look at. I find that the exercises are challenging. What I do wish is that you would be able to pair exercises together and make your own 30 minute workout session without having to go to the menu to select another exercise.

I had heard that in the Japanese version, the trainer is really harsh. Not so with the American version, the trainer actually gives you useful advice and kindly tells you that you need to practice more. I do promise that you will be sore the next day.

I was impressed by the skiing balance games, they are really a lot of fun. The ski jump is really fun. And my thighs got a heck of a workout. I do have to say that the on-screen instructions for the balance and aerobic games are not as detailed as I would have liked but you learn with practice.

Overall, this is a great addition to your fitness regime and your video game collection. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to tone up their core and improve their balance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, fun across age ranges, some quirks, May 23, 2008
H. Sapiens "Amanda" (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I had this game in my hot little hands 5/21/08. I am reviewing after 3 hours game play (personal) plus observing 1 preschooler, 1 4th grader, 1 male adult play.

Rundown: The game is centered around several fitness "areas" - yoga, strength, balance, and aerobics. The titles do not necessarily fit in all cases. Initially, there are around 4-5 unlocked activities per fitness area. You unlock more activities and/or increased durations/difficulty as you spend TIME completing tasks. This is an important point because it is not necessary to master tasks to unlock these activities - simply spend 10 minutes playing (anything - even deep breathing - and you get them unlocked). You can set individual profiles for different Miis and lock those profiles (for privacy, I suppose). However, your unlocked activities are set only to your profile, which means currently only I get to play the new "floating down the river in the bubble" game. Ha! This can be frustrating for younger players who have bedtimes and low patience levels.

Efficacy: The focus on all of the activities is balance - this is not going to get you in shape (unless you do the jogging game and strength exercises - then maybe). The board can be fallible - for instance I got 4/5 stars for completing the "push-up/plank" exercise - which royally kicked my bottom - however I was doing pitifully (not even really doing the push-up). So, don't expect the game to really be able to tell you when you are doing poorly. That's where you have to motivate yourself - and you get what you put into it. I did have sore thighs this morning, likely do to the skiing game. So, that could be a sign that with prolonged use, maybe I will increase my stamina for doing squats. I am in relatively okay shape - and this game did have me sweating quite a bit. Again - you get what you put into it (duh!) - so if you do nothing but balance games, you probably won't do much.

Realism: The yoga poses and exercises are very good. There are surprisingly many. I have unlocked only a fraction of them. Some are VERY hard. I had knee surgery last August, and honestly some of the exercises are very, very similar to my PT exercises, but more engaging. So, this is a BIG plus. I ski - the skiing game is really pretty good, but I find the board wants me to be more on my toes than I really would be. However, I feel that I am moving very realistically. I can't hula hoop IRL, so no comments there other than I look ridiculous playing that game. All in all, I am impressed with the stretches (yoga) and the exercises in the strength training. I am pretty short and am having some difficulty with the push ups off the raised balance board. The board may not be wide enough for someone with wide shoulders either.

The balance board: It senses my movements very well. The weight it gives is fairly accurate for myself and 2 kids - the clothing adjustment is odd (really - 4 pounds for clothes? Seems high). However, I used this with my son, who I thought may be sensitive to being called overweight. He actually took this really well, and wanted to set a goal for himself. It underweighed my husband who is at the high end of the weight limit. Just a word of caution, your Mii's waistline might umm... expand quite a bit after you are weighed. My husband's is now quite jolly, and puts its hands on its belly. That could bother some people with thin skin. The board has difficulty with children. It calculates "fit age" based on your "balance" - which translates to 1) how well you can hold still, 2) how well distributed your weight it when you stand still, and 3) how good at shifting your balance you are. Well, neither of my kids could stand still - so they are both older than me! Clearly, that's silly. It does have trouble detecting my daughter's movements (about 33 lbs). This is a problem for games like hula hoop.

The balance board cannot be jumped on. This is hard for my kids with games like "ski jump" - which really is "ski bending your knees and then stand up straight to simulate jumping" I know - not as catchy. If you do jump, Wii slaps you on the wrist by turning the screen white, reminding you, and the activity is over.

Only one balance board per wii is a real drag. There is no fast-user switching here, and it is cumbersome to switch players during game play. Wii could have done this better.

Future promise: We Ski will be amazing with the balance board (so I think). However, we wish Surf's Up! would be redesigned for the board. In any event, the board is a lot of fun and will prevent you from sitting on your bottom.

Final thoughts: This is going to help me with my knee issues quite a bit. I'm a PT slacker and have really given up a lot of sports over this. So, for other ortho-patients who slack on their exercises, this might be the trick. Our game disc is giving us problems, where it won't start up most of the time and freezes on start up. I have heard this happening with Smash bros b/c it was dual-layered. While I hope this is isolated to me, it is something to be aware of. Nintendo wants me to send them my disc, which they will send back in 11-14 working days (I'm holding off until after the long weekend). If this happens to you before supply is normalized, you are pretty much stuck sending it to Nintendo.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars I Fought The Fit, and the Fit Won -- A formerly obese 29 year old male's perspective, January 28, 2009
shaxper (Lakewood, OH) - See all my reviews
I don't like exercise.

I don't even like the word. It makes me cringe. I've gotten myself on strict workout regiments at various times in the past (once for well over a year), but it was always hard work, often more in terms of motivation than actual physical exertion. So exercise was honestly the farthest thing from my mind when I bought the fit. I wanted to try the balance games (which, I'd heard, were quite fun!), and I knew my wife would love doing the Yoga. I really didn't expect this thing to change my life.

The thing is, Wii Fit works a lot like a gateway drug. You turn it on just to try incredibly fun (and non-intensive) games like Ski Slalom or Table Tilt. Of course, the game asks you to set up a profile and set a fitness goal, so you do this without much thought. Gradually, you become curious about trying some of the other 40+ games and activities the Wii offers. You discover a game like Basic Step, which is incredibly fun and addictive (think Dance Dance Revolution with more emphasis on rhythm and less on speeed), and suddenly you find yourself breaking a small sweat while you play. This actually feels GOOD.

Soon you're giving Yoga and Strength Training a try -- just to see what they're like, of course. They're all remarkably easy, and yet you break a sweat, feel your muscles working and, once again, you feel GOOD. Now you're latching on to that one Yoga pose or Strength exercise, trying to beat your previous score and earn those coveted 3 or 4 star rankings. Two weeks later, getting your 30 minutes on the Fit each night is one of the highlights of your day. I've already lost 5 pounds and developed a ton of muscle, but I don't even care! I just want to beat those scores and get that GOOD feeling back again.

The Fit has its limitations, or course. Five years from now, we'll look back on the first incarnation of Wii Fit and laugh at how primitive the technology is, but it's an amazing effort all the same, and I'm so glad to have it.

Here's an overview of the Wii Fit package:

Body Test: Weight is incredibly accurate, and your ability to monitor your progress over a long period of time is invaluable. One of the Fit's greatest strengths is that you can easily quantify and track your progress instead of wondering whether or not you're doing an exercise correctly and whether or not you're improving. The BMI is quite handy too (if a little insulting -- it is not very nice to you if you're obese), but I've heard it's highly inaccurate for children and particularly muscular people.

Wii Fit Age -- Don't put any stock in this. It appears to be based entirely upon your performance on a series of balance tests and has no correlation to your weight, BMI, or performance on other Fit activities. The Fit goes out of its way to emphasize the importance of balance to your health, but I think it really overdoes this. In my mind, this is just a way to rationalize the new balance board technology. In fact, while the balance games in Wii Fit are amazingly fun, I question whether any of them have any bearing on your fitness.

Yoga Poses -- Surprisingly addictive and effective. I have three favorite poses that I do each day, and there are 15 total to choose from. Many of these are doable for someone who has never exercised before, and yet they build muscle quickly and take only a minute or two to do. Quite amazing! And, like all Wii Fit activities, you are scored and ranked on how well you do, which is a fantastic way of making sure you're doing it right and a great incentive for coming back to try it over and over again. Of course, a few of the more advanced poses cannot be done with the balance board and, therefore, cannot be scored.

Strength Workouts -- Quick and easy. I find these a little more challenging than the yoga poses, but you do get high marks just for completing the activity. You can ultimately adjust your reps on most of the 15 activities, and some will even allow you to ultimately challenge your instructor to see who can do more or last longer.

Hula Hoop:This is the only Fit activity I've honestly never tried. I saw my wife try it, and it looked incredibly boring.

Super Hula Hoop: A more advanced version of the same.

Rhythm boxing - You use the Wiimote and nunchuck to hit a punching bag in rhythm, throwing punches in a pattern set by your instructor. Quite fun, but there is only one basic and one advanced level. This is a great gateway to aerobic exercise, but the challenge and excitement will eventually subside as you keep doing the same patterns each day.

Basic Step - My personal favorite. You step to the rhythm, following the set patterns, and can earn "OK"s or "Perfect"s depending on how good your rhythm is. This is a lot more fun than it sounds and strangely addictive. Again, think Dance Dance Revolution at a slower pace and with more emphasis on rhythm.

Advanced Step - Faster and more complex version of basic step. Unfortunately, there's no adjustable difficulty level. The same old pattern begins to get dull after a while. All the same, this is the game that really tricked me into liking exercise.

Free Step - I think this was supposed to be the next level of challenge after Advanced Step, but it fails miserably. You make up your own steps, but the game does not accurately grade you, nor does it seem to recognize which steps you choose to make. You could have as much lack of fun with a real step and no game.

Basic Run - A fantastic introduction to running! A pace setter runs ahead of you and keeps you moving at a consistent but incredibly easy jog. You jog through a gorgeous island park with friendly Miis passing on all sides, smiling as they pass. This is incredibly soothing, cute, and motivating, all at the same time. There are three adjustable distances for this course, and doing all three ultimately unlocks the Free Run, which is my personal favorite.

2-P Run: Never tried it, but I believe it's the same thing with two players running at once.

Free Run: Exactly what you're begging for after doing the Basic Run a few times. Without a guide, you are free to run through the same gorgeous park at your own pace. You can use this to wind down after a long day or competitively see how fast you can run (measuring this in terms of distance accomplished after 10, 20, or 30 minutes). I use it both ways and find this to be the highlight of my workout each day. My only regret here is that you don't run on the board. The Fit detects your movements through the remote, which you keep in your pocket. It does not do a great job of accurately detecting your speed. It's usually close enough, but it shows you going a little faster than you should, which is actually a great motivator. HOWEVER, even though the game says you can jog with your remote in your hand, don't do it! This works terribly. Your Mii will start, stop, slow down, and speed up abruptly and for no reason. You'll find the results are similar if your pocket is too lose. I generally just tuck the remote into the waste of my shorts.

Balance Games: Though the health benefits of these games are highly questionable, they're generally incredibly fun games that make great use of the balance board. Even if you have no interest in fitness, the balance games might make this purchase worthwhile on their own. However, with so many activities crammed into one disc, don't expect multiple levels or difficulty settings on most of these games. They are one trick ponies. My personal favorites are the Ski Slalom (really simulates the motions of skiing!), Table Tilt, and Balance Bubble. My wife is also obsessed with the Lotus Focus, where you must sit on the balance board and remain perfectly still while staring at a candle. Tightrope Walk is the only true disappointment from this collection. It's just ridiculously silly.

All in all, the Wii Fit is a GREAT motivational tool for anyone who doesn't want to exercise. It removes all of the most frustrating parts of working out -- getting to the gym, not knowing whether or not you're doing it right, not having the ability to easily track your progress, and not having the motivation to come back and do it again. That being said, I'm sure the level of workout the Fit provides does not compete with what an accomplished fitness enthusiast would find at the gym. Strength training is all isometric, and I assume there are more challenging Yoga poses out there. Still, I feel much stronger, I look much leaner, I'm finding myself naturally eating healthier and in smaller quantities, and I'm sleeping better too. I feel healthy. I feel GOOD. I can think of no better testimonial to lend to this product than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun but treat it with care, June 3, 2008
C. Petit (Northeastern US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I purchased the Wii Fit because I wanted to become more active. In this, the Wii Fit excels. The cornerstone is the Wii Fit balance board. This board looks and acts like a scale. In fact, it has several sensors, so it can sense how you are distributing your weight on the board.

This is the core of how Wii Fit works. When you start Wii Fit, you must pick a Mii to represent you. Once you have done this, you need to enter your birthday. Then, if you want to keep your weight and records private, you may enter a password.

After this, you may choose a weight loss goal for yourself---how many pounds and how many weeks or months to achieve it. Every 2 weeks you may change this goal.

After choosing a goal, you can perform the Test. The test will measure your weight and your balance (how centered you are between your left and right feet, and how centered your weight is over your feet).

After taking the Test (you may record the results once each day), you will get a Wii Fit age. The closer you are to your ideal weight, and the better you perform on the balance and agility tests, the lower the Wii Fit age will be.

After this, you may perform some Training. In Training, there are several categories---Yoga, Strength Training, Aerobics, Balance Games (Favorites keeps the 10 most frequent activities). The more time you spend doing these mini-games, the more things you will unlock.

I find the mini-games to be a lot of fun. Many of them will help improve your balance and body awareness, directly or indirectly (because that is what the board is measuring). However, unless you are careful, you can easily overdo it and hurt yourself badly. For example, doing the push-ups incorrectly can dislocate your shoulder.

In addition, do NOT rely on the Wii Fit for a precise weight measurement. When sitting on a medium depth pile carpet, the Wii Fit measured my weight as about 20 pounds lighter than I am. I've also seen my "weight" go up or down by 2 pounds when my regular scale shows a difference of less than a pound.

Beyond that, the games may require you to take poses that aren't comfortable for your body (the board is fairly small).

Just like with Big Brain Academy (Wii Degree), don't take the Wii Fit's results too seriously. The game may say you are Overweight or Obese. If anything, take that as a challenge to be a bit more active.

If you want a video game that is a lot of fun, and can get you more active, by all means get a Wii Fit. I enjoy it. However, the Wii Fit cannot replace a good physical trainer. Let your body tell you what feels right.

Slow and steady is the best way to start any physical activity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad that Wii fit called you obese? Really mad that it called your kid obese?, May 24, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I'm 30. I've been overweight since I was a teenager. I walk and wear a pedometer, but I'm out of shape. For me, playing Wii Fit can be a workout. I definitely increase my heart rate and get sweaty playing some of the aerobic games. The step aerobics game is too easy, and I wish that I had at least another set of foot extensions to make it more of a challenge. I also want some of the games to last longer -- at least an option for a continuous 30 minute aerobics workout.

I laughed at Wii Fit for saying, "You're obese," and fattening my Mii when I registered. In a juvenile kind of way, it really has made me want to play it more this week.

The majority of adults know if they're obese or not, but as a pediatrician, I'm saddened that Nintendo didn't re-program its language for children and adolescents. I registered another Mii as a 14 year old girl, the same height and weight as I am now (and was at 14), and the Wii called her obese, too. Inaccurate as a 14 year old would be more correctly labeled by CDC/AAP standards to be "overweight" at the same body mass index (BMI).

My recommendation: Wii Fit is a fun way to encourage your children (and you) to exercise -- especially if they play this game instead of lounging around playing non-active video games. However, definitely talk to your kids before playing Wii fit. Do remind them that it really is just a game. Encourage them. Work on improving fitness and nutrition together as a family. Some books that I've recommended to my patients and their parents include: Raising Fit Kids in a Fat World and The Family Guide to Fighting Fat: A Parent's Guide to Handling Obesity and Eating Issues. Visit the CDC website for childhood obesity and overweight. Don't let Wii Fit discourage them (or you). If you have concerns about your child's weight, talk to your child's doctor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun with two flaws, June 3, 2008
Laura_in_Chicago (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I like the Wii Fit overall. It's fun and it gets me and my husband off our lazy butts. The instruction on exercises is good and the balance games are a lot of fun.

Two complaints:

1) BMI is an outdated indicator of fitness. Percent body fat is much, much better. We had a bathroom scale that could measure percent body fat in a manner of seconds, why couldn't the Wii Fit been programmed to do that. All they'd need is a metal strip under each foot. As you work out more and start to lose fat and gain muscle, people who do not understand that BMI is just a height to weight ratio may get discouraged when they see their BMI stay the same or increase because muscle weighs more than fat.

2) I wish there were a way to link the exercises in chains or do multiple repetitions without going through the menus again. The yoga poses or strength training exercises would be much more effective if you could choose several in a row and then do them all in immediate succession or repeat them. Granted, one can do that without the game running - but then what's the point of using the game?

In all, I think it's a great game that is a good motivator to get me off my butt and help with my posture. I'm amazed that I actually sweat during the step and hula hoop "games." I haven't tried a lot of the strength training exercises yet because I'm not prepared to fully humiliate myself ;) Overall I like the yoga, balance games and the step and hula hoops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution for those of us that aren't inclined to go to the gym, May 23, 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit Game with Balance Board (Video Game)
I am the exact target consumer for this product. Very sedentary, watch too much TV, don't go to the gym, am not able to handle a lot of very strenuous exercise, and of course, own a Wii! I work from home and often take breaks through the day but particularly with the cost of gas rising so much, it's hard to make that 20 minute trip to the gym just to work out for 20-30 minutes. I own a home gym but find it boring and not really useful for getting a good aerobic workout on. I've only been using the Wii Fit for a few days now, but wow, am I thrilled with it! I has 4 different types of exercises: Yoga, Strength Training, Aerobics and Balance. While it is mostly intended for improving fitness, it does definitely take a "game" approach to it in terms of scoring your performance, unlocking additional exercises, tracking progress, etc. It's got the usual Wii type graphics similar to the Wii Sports that comes with a Wii system...nothing to write home about but do the job. For me, I find the exercises definitely challenging enough to give me a good workout, and fun enough to play that I want to take it out each day and see if I can improve my score. This is what I find really great about it...usually I get bored with basic exercise and don't stick with it for long, and often find it hard to stay motivated enough to keep exercising enough to push myself to the point that I am truly tired, but the Wii Fit's approach of scoring my performance made me want to keep repeating games and exercises to see if I could do better, and before I know it, I've completed an hour-long workout! For those of you that like to exercise, that may not seem like a big deal, but for us unmotivated people, it's pretty awesome. ;-) I'm just hoping I don't plateau too soon and continue to find enough challenge in this to find it similarly motivating months down the road. Or that additional exercise programs will come out with higher levels of challenge.

Some exercises I have to avoid due to knee problems, but overall I didn't find too many that were problematic. The one thing I wish there was is an easy way to create a "playlist" of exercises that it would just go through one after the other without have to go back and forth to the menu (which slows you down...and your heartrate too!) It does have a "Favorites" list but you still have to choose each game individually which does slow you down considerably.

If you are someone that already works out and is fairly fit, you probably will be disappointed with the difficulty level of the exercises, as they are geared more to the average person that doesn't getting enough exercise. If you are the sedentary type though, this is a great way to save money on a gym membership (and gas!) get yourself up and moving every day, and have a lot of fun in the process. I'm looking forward to other games using the board as well (hopefully that make more use of it than the We Ski that has gotten mediocre reviews.)

Wii Fit Game with Balance Board
Wii Fit Game with Balance Board by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
Used & New from: $5.99