Customer Discussions > Wii Fit Game with Balance Board forum

Wii Fit with Back Problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2009 7:55:36 PM PDT
Is there anyone out there that has back problems that uses the Wii Fit? I had back surgery in January of 2008 and then fell down the stairs in May of 2008 and rehurt my back and hurt my hip.

I need to get moving and have been trying to use the Wii Fit. I try to stick mostly with the Yoga and then I do the step to try to get some cardio in.

I'd love to see what other people with back problems are doing with the Wii Fit.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Lisa

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 10:29:57 AM PDT
Vernefrax says:
(I am not a doctor!) I haven't used Wii Fit, but my wife injured her back several years ago. We use My Fitness Coach - a port of Yourself Fitness on the XBox/PS2. My Fitness Coach includes a large number of exercises, allowing you to adjust the intensity or length as necessary. For back injuries, strengthening your core muscles (abdominals, buttox, etc) are really important, and My Fitness Coach includes an excellent set of core exercises. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's the best I can do.

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 5:35:41 PM PDT
L. Glover says:
I don't have a bad back, but I do have a bad knee. In fact, I just had a knee replacement in Jan. 09 and started using Wii Fit during my physical therapy sessions. I loved it and had to get one for my home. When I got it home and started doing the excercises, it educated me in posture and on how important balance is on all the muscles and the back. I would recommend this product for anyone who who has had surgery and is in need of light training. It does have yogo poses and strength training excercises and starts you out slow so that you can go at your own pace.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 12:59:02 AM PDT
Evergreen says:
I herniated two disks in my lower back, had diskectomy for one. The wii fit is really great, just be careful with some of the exercises, depending on how your back and hip is damaged. My physical therapist, who is also a Pilates (similar to Yoga) instructor, has tried it out and recommends using it, particularly the exercises that work on your core.

Incidentally, there is a children's hospital that is using it with children who have been paralyzed from the waist down. They sit, instead of standing, and are able to improve their balance and strength.

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 1:04:36 PM PDT
I have a back injury from the war. I am going to the VA for physical therapy and it ends up being more painful when I leave. I played with my sister's Wii and found that my stamina was improved since my motivation was now more than avoiding pain. It is a good cure fore boredom while exercising.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 12:15:29 PM PDT
J. Madre says:
I had my back injured in a rear-end vehicle collision a year ago. I've been working out with Wii Fit for about 3 weeks and my back feels much better.

I finish up my workout with the bridge, torso-twist and then a shoulder stand. My problem is a pinched nerve in the lumbar area and lowering my legs at the end of the shoulder stand makes everything fall back into place.

I also find I am able to perform strenuous lifting with less pain afterward since I started working out with the Fit.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2009 11:54:44 AM PDT
Lynn says:
The yoga gives me relieve when my back flares up. I am careful which ones I do and how much I do, but it shortens the length I am laided up.
As for what I do on a regular basis, I start with the yoga, then strength training, where I concentrate on working on my core muscles (stomach, sides and back). Than I do the step and boxing for aerobic exercise. Boxing is very good for the arms, shoulders, legs and core muscles. I cool down by playing with the balance games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 5:03:13 PM PST
G. Moore says:
hello, what fitness games do you use with the wii for your core muscles. i to have back problems and i am looking for something to help.
tks
gail

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 2:05:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2010 2:06:03 PM PST
Gertrude says:
Last yeat I ruptured AND herniated my L-3, L-4 and L-5 in my lower back. I ended up having to have two surgeries. My physical therapist actually used the Wii fit in the office. The balance games (NOT the yoga) are what she and my surgeon emphasized to strengthen the tiny muscles surrounding the discs and the spine. Once those were strengthened (about two months in my case) we added the hula hoops to work on my core. I am now just over 11 months out from surgery and still am not allowed to do ANY of the yoga- this would risk reinjury. However, I am encouraged to do daily the stepper excersizes. Interestingly enough, my insurance paid for the balance board since my physician wrote a prescription for it and a "strongly worded letter" to the insurance company. I still had to pay for the Wii, but hey....what a help. I would HIGHLY recommend talking it over with your physision before starting any excersize routine since you already know your history. With a previous back injury, you are more susceptable (pardon spelling) to sciatica and herniation and even parilization. I personally do not think that is worth the risk.
Best of luck!

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 1:01:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2010 1:02:16 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions